• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Mistakes

143 posts in this topic

This has not been corrected from last year's OS, as per a thread on the BA forums:

1) GL/GA 76 appears on both the Most Valuable SA and BA lists.

Since OS recently adjusted the BA to start in 1973 (ASM 121), this has relegated the 1970-to-mid-1973 comics to the SA, but OS has not deleted GL/GA 76 from the "Most Valuable" BA list, while adding it to the SA list.

So the comic appears on both, which is bizarre and illogical, so OS needs to delete the duplicate/erroneous entry from the BA list. I think starting the BA at 1973 is insane, but since Bob put forth that directive, he needs to stick to that edict in his various lists.

Please add any other errors you can find and hopefully Bob can stay awake long enough to fix a few of them.

GL/GA #76 is not on the most valuable SA list; although it is on the BA list.

Where did you see it printed on both lists? (shrug)

Is it possible that JC may have made a mistake here?

I also don't see anywhere in the new guide where there is a linkage for GL 76 to the Silver Age. The only linkage I see for GL 76 in the guide is to the Bronze Age as based on the following examples:

1) GL 76 appears only on the Top 10 BA list

2) GL 76 does not appear on the Top 20 SA list as #20 is FF #2 for $10.5K

3) All sales of CGC GL #76 is listed under Overstreet's BA Sales Summary

4) Overstreet's own 2010 Market Report has an actual picture of GL #76 with the comment "The sale of a GL #76 CGC 9.6 for $30,500 - more proof that the Bronze Age market has come into its own"

5) Overstreet's definition of BA is "Comics published from 1970 to 1984"

6) Overstreet's definition of SA is "Comics published from 1956 to 1970"

Doesn't appear to be any change in Overstreet and have not heard of any directive that was put forth. (shrug)

This has not been corrected from last year's OS, as per a thread on the BA forums:

1) GL/GA 76 appears on both the Most Valuable SA and BA lists.

Since OS recently adjusted the BA to start in 1973 (ASM 121), this has relegated the 1970-to-mid-1973 comics to the SA, but OS has not deleted GL/GA 76 from the "Most Valuable" BA list, while adding it to the SA list.

So the comic appears on both, which is bizarre and illogical, so OS needs to delete the duplicate/erroneous entry from the BA list. I think starting the BA at 1973 is insane, but since Bob put forth that directive, he needs to stick to that edict in his various lists.

Please add any other errors you can find and hopefully Bob can stay awake long enough to fix a few of them.

GL/GA #76 is not on the most valuable SA list; although it is on the BA list.

Where did you see it printed on both lists? (shrug)

I also don't see anywhere in the new guide where there is a linkage for GL 76 to the Silver Age. The only linkage I see for GL 76 in the guide is to the Bronze Age as based on the following examples:

1) GL 76 appears only on the Top 10 BA list

2) GL 76 does not appear on the Top 20 SA list as #20 is FF #2 for $10.5K

3) All sales of CGC GL #76 is listed under Overstreet's BA Sales Summary

4) Overstreet's own 2010 Market Report has an actual picture of GL #76 with the comment "The sale of a GL #76 CGC 9.6 for $30,500 - more proof that the Bronze Age market has come into its own"

5) Overstreet's definition of BA is "Comics published from 1970 to 1984"

6) Overstreet's definition of SA is "Comics published from 1956 to 1970"

Doesn't appear to be any change in Overstreet and have not heard of any directive that was put forth. (shrug)

lol

Damnable facts again!

Nope, not me, as this error was in OS last year or the year before (Donut commented on it) and bronzejohnnny stated it was in this year's OS - I was just repeating what he said:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4159916&nt=2&fpart=1

The part about OS retroactively changing era start/end points is 100% correct, as 1973 (ASM 121) was the new start of the BA while the BA now extends to 1985, at least according to OS. This was widely reported on when it happened, and I can't believe you don't remember.

So why have the BA/SA lists not been updated to match the new OS eras?

Nope, not me, as this error was in OS last year or the year before (Donut commented on it) and bronzejohnnny stated it was in this year's OS - I was just repeating what he said:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4159916&nt=2&fpart=1

The part about OS retroactively changing era start/end points is 100% correct, as 1973 (ASM 121) was the new start of the BA while the BA now extends to 1985, at least according to OS. This was widely reported on when it happened, and I can't believe you don't remember.

So why have the BA/SA lists not been updated to match the new OS eras?

Mainly because there aren't "new OS eras"

I can't find my OS 38, but here's 37, 39, and 40

Overstreet #37 (page 1008) - BRONZE AGE - Comics published from 1970-1984

Overstreet #39 (page 1016) - BRONZE AGE - Comics published from 1970-1984

Overstreet #40 (page 998) - BRONZE AGE - Comics published from 1970-1984

ALL Green Lantern 76 references in the new Overstreet Guide are for the "Bronze Age" (pages 66, 79, 82, 92, 108, 118, 126, 144, 148, 152).

Part of the confusion may be that the thesis "The Bronze Age started the night Gwen Stacy died" was Arnold Blumberg's in an article he wrote a few years ago in Overstreet.

I think that proposal went exactly no where, either in the hobby at large or even within the Overstreet guide itself. (thumbs u

How about the Overstreet correction for Star Trek #1! doh!

It's interesting to note that OS is now saying that there no longer is a variant version of Star Trek #1 with a photo back cover. He now states that all copies of Star Trek #1 has the photo back cover. For this edition of the guide, he simply deletes the cheaper listing for the version with the back cover ad.

And all this time I thought I was lucky enough to own a high grade copy of this co-called "rare" variant version of ST #1. Now I find out they are all over the place and probably won't even be able to give them away any more. lol

Can anyone with the new guide in hand tell me if they fixed the fine price for Adventure comics #51, 60? Last year it was listed as $159.

Also, on a side note, it is wacko to list those two issues with the same price anyway.

(I ask becasue I have a Fine- #60)

Thanks,

T

How about the Overstreet correction for Star Trek #1! doh!

It's interesting to note that OS is now saying that there no longer is a variant version of Star Trek #1 with a photo back cover. He now states that all copies of Star Trek #1 has the photo back cover. For this edition of the guide, he simply deletes the cheaper listing for the version with the back cover ad.

And all this time I thought I was lucky enough to own a high grade copy of this co-called "rare" variant version of ST #1. Now I find out they are all over the place and probably won't even be able to give them away any more. lol

I always thought that was funny...every #1 I have ever seen has the rare photo. :screwy:

Can anyone with the new guide in hand tell me if they fixed the fine price for Adventure comics #51, 60? Last year it was listed as $159.

Thanks,

T

Yes, it's been fixed..........OS bumped it up to $160. :acclaim:

No, just kidding. You can go out and celebrate as OS has moved it up all the way from $159 (should really have been $1,059) last year to the sky high amount of $1,062. lol

Part of the confusion may be that the thesis "The Bronze Age started the night Gwen Stacy died" was Arnold Blumberg's in an article he wrote a few years ago in Overstreet.

Yes, and Arnold came on here and proclaimed (quite loudly) at that OS' stance was that the BA started in 1973, starting off another big war between us, which you guys should remember.

Don't forget, at one point in time Arnold effectively ran OS and had virtual control before joining the museum. So what he said was the "OS official position" was the official position.

Yes, and Arnold came on here and proclaimed (quite loudly) at that OS' stance was that the BA started in 1973, starting off another big war between us, which you guys should remember.

Don't forget, at one point in time Arnold effectively ran OS and had virtual control before joining the museum. So what he said was the "OS official position" was the official position.

Wait, the Bronze Age didn't start with GSXM #1?

JC;

Now we know the source of the confusion.......it's that Dr. Arnold who thinks that PHD puts him in charge of everything. lol

With respect to Overstreet Publications and official titles notwithstanding, nobody really runs Overstreet except for old Bob himself. So, if you didn't hear it from Bob himself, then it really means squat. hm

JC;

Now we know the source of the confusion.......it's that Dr. Arnold who thinks that PHD puts him in charge of everything. lol

With respect to Overstreet Publications and official titles notwithstanding, nobody really runs Overstreet except for old Bob himself. So, if you didn't hear it from Bob himself, then it really means squat. hm

(thumbs u

I didn't realize how true that statement was until this week when a few of us had the opportunity to meet with Bob for a couple hours. It is an impressive one-man effort, which I never could have imagined was possible after four decades of producing the guide.

Let me get this straight:

a) You create a thread stating that the OSPG says that the Bronze Age started in 1973, and that GL #76 has been added to the list of Most Valuable Silver Age books.

b) We check the OSPG and discover that it clearly states that the Bronze Age started in 1970, and that GL #76 has not been added to the list of Most Valuable Silver Age books.

c) Instead of saying "hey, my bad, I was wrong", you now claim that the OSPG's "official position" is that the Bronze Age started in 1973 - notwithstanding the fact that they write in their own guide that it started in 1970.

All you're missing is a little bit o' name-calling ("breadstick-armed nerds" is always a favorite) and a threat to leave the forums and this thread will be complete :cloud9:

JC;

(thumbs u

I didn't realize how true that statement was until this week when a few of us had the opportunity to meet with Bob for a couple hours. It is an impressive one-man effort, which I never could have imagined was possible after four decades of producing the guide.

While I have a lot of respect for Bob and what he has done for the industry some of the general malaise and self destruction of businesses in the comic industry that I have observed seems to stem from this sort of "one man tries to do everything" until his last dying breath because that is how the company started.

This is usually due to the family tree not bearing fruit to carry on the business or an egotistical and hard to work with type boss who , while he may work hard all his life to achieve the company's success he leaves the road littered with those who tried to work with him, including relatives trying to make the business not live and die within one generation.

They need to know or be told when to let go of the reins before they go off the cliff.

Actually, Arnold came on here and agreed with you that ASM 121 was too late to start the Bronze Age.

And here's the thread where it was discussed - OS 34 added "Copper" to the "Ages". Bronze 1970-1984, which it has been (officially) in the Overstreet Guide since 2004.