• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.6 slabs seem to be a great "deal"

22 posts in this topic

Granted age is obviously relative. I have been tracking allot of eBay auctions and noticing (depending on which bidder shows up on a given day) that allot of bronze age CGC 9.6 slabs fetch between $12.50 - $18.00. And another FYI for you, grass is green and water is blue.

But in terms of the proverbial comic grading rainbow; one end being CGC 9.8 at high $$$ multiples and the other end being buying them raw from someone claiming they are NM+, I think CGC 9.6 slabs could be a winner here for folks like myself who are completists first but quality also is important. What say you? :popcorn:

And any other opinions on what slab grade is a good "value" to buy and which comic age does it pertain to would be a great help. In other words, does it make no sense to buy a SA 6.0 slab, when a 7.0 slab is only a few bucks more, etc.

I would even add 9.8 slabs into that equation, as several late Bronze 9.8 slabs that I've seen have fallen into the $30 and under realm....about the cost of certification.

If you are a high grade completionist, then yes, 9.6 and 9.8 slabs right now are a bargain and a great way of putting your runs together. Afterall, at $15-$30 a pop, they don't have much further to fall in terms of value.

I would even add 9.8 slabs into that equation, as several late Bronze 9.8 slabs that I've seen have fallen into the $30 and under realm....about the cost of certification.

If you are a high grade completionist, then yes, 9.6 and 9.8 slabs right now are a bargain and a great way of putting your runs together. Afterall, at $15-$30 a pop, they don't have much further to fall in terms of value.

Thanks for your observation. Do you think one of these is more supply driven than the other? In other words, would the 9.8 slab prices be more negatively impacted on the seller's end by increased supply vs. the 9.6 slab?

Thanks for your observation. Do you think one of these is more supply driven than the other? In other words, would the 9.8 slab prices be more negatively impacted on the seller's end by increased supply vs. the 9.6 slab?

I think that both 9.6s and 9.8s from the late Bronze and later will both be negatively impacted over the years. There's thousands of these books out there, they are practically worthless without the Big Number, and most folk who wanted copies have pretty much got them by now.

9.0`s,9.2`s and 9.4`s are not too shabby either, near mint is near mint, I rather save thousands then to have that all important 9.8. I think most people have caught on to this now as that is why prices have dropped thru the roof! ;)

That would be 'floor'. ;)

Unless you're Australian.

They probally won`t go up in much value either similar to most of the early 1990`s stuff that will never go up, it is what it is. 2c

I think that both 9.6s and 9.8s from the late Bronze and later will both be negatively impacted over the years. There's thousands of these books out there, they are practically worthless without the Big Number, and most folk who wanted copies have pretty much got them by now.

Interesting thoughts. Wasn't there some guy a few years ago on eBay who was literally buying every CGC 9.8 BA slab?

Wow, so it has gotten so bad that some late bronze comics have to be at least a 9.9 before the seller makes any money. So basically it is now down to two numbers left. 9.9, and 10.0.

9.0`s,9.2`s and 9.4`s are not too shabby either, near mint is near mint, I rather save thousands then to have that all important 9.8. I think most people have caught on to this now as that is why prices have dropped thru the floor! ;)

This is something I was looking to explore. I concur with your observation. But I wonder if the price difference between say the 9.4 or 9.6 is so small, in the case of BA slabs, that you would just not want the 9.6. But in SA & GA, I would take the 9.0 all day and save a small fortune of money to buy other slabs instead.

There are a bunch of sellers on ebay with BA 9.4 slabs with asking prices of $39.99. But since the open bid auctions are ending in the $18.00 range for a 9.6 slab, its just not something that makes sense. Unless maybe you know a seller directly who is willing to sell at an appropriate price.

A 9.6 or 9.8 BRONZE slab at $30 or less is ridiculous.

These books although somewhat plentiful are very undervalued IMO.

We are talking about 30-40 year old comics that are near perfect condition.

The cost of the slabbing itself represents that more than the sale many times.

It puzzles me when I see books that guide at $40 in raw 9.2 selling for $40 in slabbed 9.6.

If this is the case, why do people submit their non-key Bronze books or even buy them for investment purposes?

It puzzles me when I see books that guide at $40 in raw 9.2 selling for $40 in slabbed 9.6.

If this is the case, why do people submit their non-key Bronze books or even buy them for investment purposes?

I think the $15 and less bronze slabs the OP is talking about tends to be more of the "fake" bronze circa 1980-1984, though i guess 9.6-9.8s of Micronauts and some other titles/issues are pretty worthless even when 30+ years old.

with that said, CGC may need to reconsider jacking up the cost of slabbing 1976-80 books as so few of those are worth slabbing nowadays, even as 9.8s

And if these usually didn't cost another $10 to ship to me I'd probably be buying some of them.

That is the obstacle. I have seen shipping @ $12.00 per slab. It only makes sense if you could buy say ten of them at one shot in that mid teen range and get combined shipping. Hopefully the seller just does not throw them all in a USPS flat rate box :o

I think the $15 and less bronze slabs the OP is talking about tends to be more of the "fake" bronze circa 1980-1984, though i guess 9.6-9.8s of Micronauts and some other titles/issues are pretty worthless even when 30+ years old.

with that said, CGC may need to reconsider jacking up the cost of slabbing 1976-80 books as so few of those are worth slabbing nowadays, even as 9.8s

That is true, mid 1970's and newer.

You are not the only one who shares this sentiment. There was a guy on eBay a few years ago literally buying up every CGC 9.8 BA slab on the market. But prices in general were higher back than as well.

And if these usually didn't cost another $10 to ship to me I'd probably be buying some of them.

That is the obstacle. I have seen shipping @ $12.00 per slab. It only makes sense if you could buy say ten of them at one shot in that mid teen range and get combined shipping. Hopefully the seller just does not throw them all in a USPS flat rate box :o

You mean like a certain boardie did to me once? doh!

You mean like a certain boardie did to me once? doh!

My condolences.