• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Blade Runner meets Die Hard meets The Matrix meets 16 Blocks...

30 posts in this topic

I was hoping for a origin story (or something a little more original) But I guess this is what we'll get. :tonofbricks:

Judge Dredd – -script review says Die Hard meets Blade Runner and Anderson is in it

The Alex Garland scripted Judge Dredd movie is moving so slowly, but The Playlist have had a review of the -script. Sounds promising – block wars, Judge Anderson – quite a simple story, but lots of action which is what you want, but who will play Dredd?

Here is what they said about the -script:

Imagine DIE HARD taking place within the world of BLADE RUNNER; that’s the JUDGE DREDD -script offered by Alex Garland. Clocking in at 110 pages, this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay, that is both hardcore and gritty.

But if the film earns parallels to some big films, the plot sounds fairly generic and video-game level simplistic. It basically sounds like a vertical, amped up version of “16 Blocks”:

MEGA CITY ONE is plagued by a new drug, SLO-MO, it slow’s everything down and producers visually stunning images, with time that moves at one percent normal.

Dredd has a rookie shadowing him for the night (CASSANDRA ANDERSON), she has some special abilities that the CHIEF JUDGE thinks could be very useful, however her JUDGE APTITUDE test scored just put her below a pass. It’s up to DREDD to see if she has what it takes to be a Judge and one night to do so.

The pair investigate a multiple homicide in PEACH TREE BLOCK. A place ran and controlled by the MA-MA CLANG. After busting one of Ma-Ma’s henchmen, Ma-Ma takes control and locks the entire place down, she seals the place with concrete shutters — and no way out. Ma-Ma also tell’s everyone within the block to KILL THE JUDGES, or their families will suffer. Ma-Ma is the ultimate force in Peach Trees, more than the law, so everyone complies. Dredd and Anderson have to survive, holding onto their prisoner and try and escape the block. They begin on the ground floor and work their way up the 200 or so floors.

It’s a very action heavy -script, with some amazing sequences that will make any Dredd fan happy…this is a gritty film, that plays the world we are in as a realistic future, a very dark, unpleasant crime ridden world as Dredd explains ‘Twelve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We respond to around six percent’. The famous ‘I am the law’ makes a few appearances.

It never felt too long or too short, It’s just right. The pace is fantastic and if shot well would make for one visually stunning piece upon release.

There is a very cool sequence told from a junkies POV high on SLO-MO, the cool visuals of melting images, vibrant colours and [a] slow raid by Dredd and Anderson will be [something] very cool to see.

Some parts of this sound good, but the overall plot is really blah. :P

this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay

Not necessarily a good combination: very little plot/lotsa action

Agreed! Why can't they get someone who can WRITE to write this movie? or maybe take some ideas from the comic? (it wouldn't be the first time) :P

this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay

Agreed! Why can't they get someone who can WRITE to write this movie? or maybe take some ideas from the comic? (it wouldn't be the first time) :P

:gossip: Time to sell all those signed Judge Dredd books while you can. :baiting:

:gossip: Time to sell all those signed Judge Dredd books while you can. :baiting:

That's gonna be tough.

I didn't buy them to really sell, Plus I'm a die-hard Dreddhead. :ohnoez:

Arguably any half wit from here, with a few dozen issues of 2000AD could write something decent.

But the necessity to subject the story to mold around a big name celeb is just nausiating time and time again.

If they've already said it's 'not complex' from the get go, your 4 year old will be able call the next scene's, as they sit there gurgling laughing at the movie.

Who is making this happen ?
These ''numb nutz''

Judge Dredd – New film gets a director and some money

A new Judge Dredd film has been slowly simmering away over the past few years. Alex Garland (Sunshine) has written a -script and comic book artist, Jock (The Losers) has done some lovely concept art. Up until now things had slowed down and I was beginning to wonder whether Stallone’s Dredd would be the only one we would ever see on the big screen.

Luckily things are on the move once more and Mega City One has got a director in the shape of Pete Travis (Vantage Point) according to Deadline. They also report that the project secured some financing at the Cannes Film Festival. The other news is that it will probably be in 3D. If done well I could really see 3D being great for the film…if done well.

The $45 million project is being financed by Reliance Big Pictures and Stuart Ford’s international sales banner IM Global and DNA Films, the U.K. production house headed by Andrew Macdonald according to Heat Vision.

DNA Films spent more than two years negotiating with rights-holders to the 2000AD comic book character, created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra.

Fingers crossed the film does move forward and they stick to the comic – that means no lycra, no taking off his helmet and lots of dark humour.

If you have seen sunshine it's great till it went all ''slasher flick'' mode at the end. doh!

If they'd feature the movie with Mean Machine Angel and Fink Angel, then I'd be in nostalgia heaven. hm

These ''numb nutz''

A new Judge Dredd film has been slowly simmering away over the past few years. Alex Garland (Sunshine) has written a -script and comic book artist, Jock (The Losers) has done some lovely concept art. Up until now things had slowed down and I was beginning to wonder whether Stallone’s Dredd would be the only one we would ever see on the big screen.

Luckily things are on the move once more and Mega City One has got a director in the shape of Pete Travis (Vantage Point) according to Deadline. They also report that the project secured some financing at the Cannes Film Festival. The other news is that it will probably be in 3D. If done well I could really see 3D being great for the film…if done well.

The $45 million project is being financed by Reliance Big Pictures and Stuart Ford’s international sales banner IM Global and DNA Films, the U.K. production house headed by Andrew Macdonald according to Heat Vision.

DNA Films spent more than two years negotiating with rights-holders to the 2000AD comic book character, created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra.

Fingers crossed the film does move forward and they stick to the comic – that means no lycra, no taking off his helmet and lots of dark humour.

If you have seen sunshine it's great till it went all ''slasher flick'' mode at the end. doh!

"Lovely concept art". :roflmao:

My point is, I hope the Brits are making this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but JD is of British origin, much like Dr. Who and Bond. James Bond. 2c

These ''numb nutz''

"Lovely concept art". :roflmao:

My point is, I hope the Brits are making this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but JD is of British origin, much like Dr. Who and Bond. James Bond. 2c

And word has it it's going to be filmed in Africa.

A 45M dollar budget for an action driven film? Guess there won't be much CGI in the movie
That's the point of having the movie take place in a building instead of the city. With such a week plot I see the critics ravaging this movie as unimaginative (which is right) and the public at large not giving a flying 'Drokk' about this movie. :(

Well, it's better than when I wrote on it about 6 years back when they had a 30 mill budget to shoot two features back to back. (Yup, 15 each--ouch!) They we're trying to figure out where to shoot the wasteland sequences, either northern Ontario or some place in India I remember.

Sadly, the producers involved kept changing their minds on story and budget. We got pretty close to even signing Jean Reno as Dredd. I also remember they we're talking with Jason Statham as well, but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Have to say this version sounds better than the 'dogs breakfast' we we're fighting to get up and running. Alex garland is a real talent and I can't wait to see this one. I hope they make it nice and clean like an old school 'dirty harry' movie.

45 million can do a lot these days if spent properly. I'm rooting for them to make something truly cool here.

45 million can do a lot these days if spent properly. I'm rooting for them to make something truly cool here.

I am hoping the same, however what I know is that we will get a formulaic approach to movie making based on budget and when to release it ( summer blockbuster meh ), campy humor, tons of action scenes that will translate to the new 3D fad, a completely average story with more than 1 villain and cardboard cutout character development.

Something just like the Jonah Hex movie.

A 45M dollar budget for an action driven film? Guess there won't be much CGI in the movie

Rate of exchange difference in Africa. More like a $500 million movie.

In Zimbabwe it would be more like $500 trillion

Well, it's better than when I wrote on it about 6 years back when they had a 30 mill budget to shoot two features back to back. (Yup, 15 each--ouch!) They we're trying to figure out where to shoot the wasteland sequences, either northern Ontario or some place in India I remember.

Sadly, the producers involved kept changing their minds on story and budget. We got pretty close to even signing Jean Reno as Dredd. I also remember they we're talking with Jason Statham as well, but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Have to say this version sounds better than the 'dogs breakfast' we we're fighting to get up and running. Alex garland is a real talent and I can't wait to see this one. I hope they make it nice and clean like an old school 'dirty harry' movie.

I heard about these, but nothing ever came of them. You where involved in the production of these two movies?

I wrote them. After a few years to think about it though.. It was a good thing they never got off the ground. Not enough money and just to many cooks in the kitchen at the time. I also worked on Preacher as the screenwriter a number of years ago. (That version would have been awesome, but I have talked about that on the boards before)