• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you determine FMV based on Sigs alone?

59 posts in this topic

Been curious how others do this without actually placing a book up for sale. As an example:

Determining the value of two books in the same grade but with varying sigs.. maybe 1 book has 1 sig while the other have 2 or 3... etc

I know you can check for previous sales for something comparable but that can vary way too much imo.

Sure you don't want to add some more books to your sig line? I can almost see the top of the reply field :makepoint:

Anyway, there really isn't a good rule of thumb - it's all dependent on the book, the number of signatures and the scarcity of the signatures themselves. Having a Dave McKean sig on a Sandman book, for instance, is worth less than a Neil Gaiman signature on the same book (and having a Sam Keith sig on a Sandman 1 would trump either of those).

Your best bet is still to check GPA - they do record which signatures are on signed books, so that'll give you a feel for the price variations between SS books of the same grade.

There's also the "unnamed boardie" model for SS pricing:

- one signature = double GPA for a blue label

- two signatures = triple GPA for a blue label

etc

Not sure it works so well in real life, though hm

Sure you don't want to add some more books to your sig line? I can almost see the top of the reply field :makepoint:

Anyway, there really isn't a good rule of thumb - it's all dependent on the book, the number of signatures and the scarcity of the signatures themselves. Having a Dave McKean sig on a Sandman book, for instance, is worth less than a Neil Gaiman signature on the same book (and having a Sam Keith sig on a Sandman 1 would trump either of those).

Your best bet is still to check GPA - they do record which signatures are on signed books, so that'll give you a feel for the price variations between SS books of the same grade.

The above is pretty good advice fr CGC SS books, but with precious few exceptions a sig brings down the value of a raw book for me.

Prior to discovering CGC SS I would never have touched a book wth a signature on the cover,now, it's a passion!

etc

I can't imagine who would be trying to get "Rich" using a strategy like that. hm

The above is pretty good advice fr CGC SS books, bt with precious few exceptions a sig brings down the value of a book for me.

Prior to discovering CGC SS I would never have touched a book wth a signature on the cover,now, it's a passion!

I saw a small debate on whether or not Stan Lee's sig on the Avengers #4 9.2 was a good or bad thing

The above is pretty good advice fr CGC SS books, bt with precious few exceptions a sig brings down the value of a book for me.

I saw a small debate on whether or not Stan Lee's sig on the Avengers #4 9.2 was a good or bad thing

The "signatures on a high-grade key destroys the book"-discussion is a bit silly, because the market has already spoken on this; SS copies (with hardly any exceptions) always sell for more than their blue label counterparts.

For vintage books there is a lot of Blue label GPA plus cost of signing plus slabbing costs plus profit analysis going on. I only pay that on exceptional books that would be almost impossible or very risky to reproduce.

This technique should not be applied to every book, although some strive mightily to do just that.

etc

Ummm... No. Especially if one of those sigs is Stan...

etc

Stan who? (shrug)

etc

Stan who? (shrug)

Exactly.

etc

Stan who? (shrug)

THIS GUY (thumbs u

200px-StanMarsh.svg.png

I can now retire knowing that my SS books are worth double their blue label counterparts... Uh, not really. Whoever made that up was smoking the crack pipe.

Bill.

Would it be more accurate (with notable exceptions) to say that at minimum SS worth can be blue label plus the cost to obtain the sig?

I can now retire knowing that my SS books are worth double their blue label counterparts... Uh, not really. Whoever made that up was smoking the crack pipe.

Bill.

Would it be more accurate (with notable exceptions) to say that at minimum SS worth can be blue label plus the cost to obtain the sig?

It REALLY depends on the book and sigs, but for a broad rule of thumb, I'd say that'd be somewhat accurate for 9.8 slabs (moderns). I've found that modern 9.6's or below will have a tough time recouping those fees and can be a pretty tough sale...similar to their 9.6 or lower blue counterparts.