• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To My Friends Attending Wizard World Next Week

93 posts in this topic

During the past 12 years I've been very fortunate to provide comp passes to the show for friends and family. Many boardies have had the good fortune of getting into the show with a Moondog comp pass.

Well, I just heard from Wizard today and they have decided to not give me any passes. Considering that I've been getting 50-100 each year since my partners and I sold the show to Wizard, this came as quite a surprise. Evidently they have new management at Wizard that frowns on the practice of honoring hand shake agreements.

As a life long fan of the comics art form, and being the type of guy who wants to share that love with others, nothing gave me more pleasure than to treat my friends and family to a wonderful weekend of comics and camaraderie.

I guess that ain't happening anymore.

For those making the trek to the Windy City, please make sure to stop by my booth (1235) and say hi to Brad and me.

During the past 12 years I've been very fortunate to provide comp passes to the show for friends and family. Many boardies have had the good fortune of getting into the show with a Moondog comp pass.

Well, I just heard from Wizard today and they have decided to not give me any passes. Considering that I've been getting 50-100 each year since my partners and I sold the show to Wizard, this came as quite a surprise. Evidently they have new management at Wizard that frowns on the practice of honoring hand shake agreements.

As a life long fan of the comics art form, and being the type of guy who wants to share that love with others, nothing gave me more pleasure than to treat my friends and family to a wonderful weekend of comics and camaraderie.

For those making the trek to the Windy City, please make sure to stop by my booth (1235) and say hi to Brad and me.

That really stinks Gary,

That's a significant loss to you and your friends. If this was really a part of your deal when you sold the show to Wizard (even verbally) and they acted in furtherance of it all these years, consistently and continually, they may have legally bound themselves to perform through a pattern of dealing. I don't know what the terms of your sale were specifically, but if I were you I would have the attorney you used to seal the deal look into this because 100 passes is worth about $4,000 or more per year. That's not an insignificant loss.

Don't let Wizard pull this corporate bully garbage on you just because they think they can.

Hope this isn't the final word on the subject.

Best,

Chris

That is a really low blow Gary. Not surprising given the landscape, but still low.

I hope the i diots who made this decision realize their mistake and do right by you on some level. Not because I was among the many people who you gave free passes to for years...for my entire family, but because you deserve to be treated better.

While the free passes were nice, it was the gesture I remember more.

As Clark Griswolds boss admitted in Christmas Vacation..."sometimes things look better on paper"

I think this is one of those instances.

That is as wrong as two boy scout touching. I wish I knew that before I just bought my 4-day pass today. I think I met you and sat with you at last years dinner and you were very nice and told me the Horrors of Wizard to your con. Things like that makes a collector like me hate what comics, cons, and our hobby has become. Just hang in there in what you do and don't let then mess up your fun with your friends on here (thumbs u .

I thought they took that away last year. I could be wrong though. Maybe it was something else. Could have been booth placement.

Right. They moved us all the way to the back last year. This year they moved us back somewhat - not to our original spot - but a bit better.

Corporate Greed at its best!

Not sure if it's just greed. More like stupidity. Why not use Larry and me as assets to help promote the show instead of shunting us aside? That's the part I don't get. Remember, the major media news during the past year regarding comics hasn't been totally about movies - how about three million-dollar sales of old comic books? I'd be happy to help them out in that area.

Sorry to hear that Wizard is doing this to you, Gary. It's one thing to limit you to X number of badges, but to take them all away is poor form, in my opinion

We had settled on 50, Ang, and then they changed that to zero.

It's plain corporate greed. The people currently running these shows were not born when you guys (seasoned PROs) started doing this convention in the 1970s. I am not a big fan of Wizard and the group managing them, and this proves why!

I will try and stop by to see you and Brad; did they move you to the restrooms, or possibly next to the ice cream machine? :baiting:

Wow. It's sad, but not surprising. Wizard events have been going down the crapper for years now. Gary, if it wasn't for you, Larry, and good 'ol Joe (RIP) then these shows would have been and would be nothing.

Too bad common sense went out with the old management...