• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad is missing "wrap replaced"

10 posts in this topic

So, I have this friend...let's call him "Steve"...who subbed an Avengers #1 recently.

Now Steve is no rookie when it comes to spotting Resto. When he bought the book, he checked it for color touch (and AV #1 is notorious for red color touch), trimming, pieces added, the works.

The grade, by the way, was 4.0.

Let's say Steve counted all the pages, too...but let's say CGC caught that the 5th wrap had been replaced, something Steve hadn't looked for because there was no obvious "tone" diference that usually screams out mismatched pages...? In other words, whoever picked the page picked a really closely matching page to use.....

How bad a mistake is that, really....?

Consider that Steve has subbed hundreds of books, and never before has missed resto...

Rookie?

Novice?

Amateur?

Experienced?

Expert?

hm

Yeah, it's married, officially, with "5th wrap replaced" being the note...

Usually it's not only the page color that gives it away.It's the staple placement,or need for new staple holes,and the bindery "cuts" on the outside edge usually that don't match up.

I've seen a few books were the pages were replaced and every thing matched up,most likely a "match" from the same print run,where you could not tell the difference.

The tell tale sign at that point is usually "wear marks" on the staples at the center fold,or the staples being pulled very tight to the cover after being reclosed.

This is all stuff that i almost never look for in most books,but usually always try to get a look at in high $ books that are purchased raw,like from Ebay.

Just my 2c on the topic..

To answer your question,it's something anyone can miss,even CGC when the "marrage" of pages is done right,and from a "twin" donor book.

I believe Steve B. somewhere along the line,had mentioned that "married" pages/covers,when done professionally,and from the right "donor book",is hard to catch.

To answer your question,it's something anyone can miss,even CGC when the "marriage" of pages is done right,and from a "twin" donor book.

I believe Steve B. somewhere along the line,had mentioned that "married" pages/covers,when done professionally,and from the right "donor book",is hard to catch.

And this goes both ways sometimes - even CGC makes interpretive mistakes. ;)

To answer your question,it's something anyone can miss,even CGC when the "marriage" of pages is done right,and from a "twin" donor book.

And this goes both ways sometimes - even CGC makes interpretive mistakes. ;)

Steve would be very, very upset if he was the unlucky recipient of an interpretive mistake. Of course, now Steve (no relation to Steve B.) can't even check without invalidating the grade and SS status.

hm