• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's official Karl Urban IS THE LAW! & film will be ''Dark & Gritty''

34 posts in this topic

Thought I'd also share this from judgedreddmovienews.com

Dreddhead -script Report

Plot details have emerged over the past week, but not from the point of view of a Dredd fan. Until now...

Is any date given for the story? No.

Who is the Chief Judge? A woman in her 50s. She's not named.

Is the Lawmaster used in combat? Yes, but only the cannons are used.

Are there scenes away from the block? A couple on the streets, and one at the Halls of Justice

Do we see inside the Halls of Justice and/or Academy of Law? Just one room of the HOJ. The Academy of Law is just called "The Academy" by a character, but we never see it, or any Rookies or Cadets.

Does the SLO-MO drug feature heavily? It's there pretty much throughout.

Does Dredd's helmet become damaged? No. He never loses any of it, but we start with him suiting up, so his head is in shadow when he puts it on.

Do they take the perp they've busted with them, and if so is s/he potentially irritating? Yes, and definately NO... at least as it's written. It's a "he" named Kay.

Is Whitey Logan mentioned? No.

Does PSI Division exist yet? Probably not.

Do any other characters from the strip show up? No.

Anything else stick out about the -script? Anderson was orphaned at seven, and was nine when she went to the Academy. She uses PSI Probes a couple of times. She has no helmet so when they need respirators they pull them out of their utility belts. The helmet mike on a stick is back. The Lawgiver is voice activated, and fires the same kinds of ammo as in the comic. The silencer slides out of the gun.

Sternhammer Block, Tom Frame Block, and Wagner Drive are mentioned. A guy has a Judge Death tattoo on his chest..The F-word is used instead of future swearing. Resyk is mentioned. Often the writer has characters using the Britishism "Tanoy" instead of P.A. system. There are corrupt Judges in the story. Justice Department is mentioned by name. Stumm Grenades are used, and Stub Gun-like machine guns. Heaps of gore and destruction. Ma Ma may be a Fattie, but it's not made explicit. The city doesn't really come alive on the page. It's all focused on the one block, and the citizens are all pretty normal.

Those are some really, really good signs!

I like the fact they're making it dark & gritty,but the R rating could hurt the movie.

If they want to make this into a movie franchise,they need to make it PG-13 2c

You are so very right

I dream of the day Judge Dredd merchandise (preferably by Hasbro) is in the toy aisles of Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart & various other chain stores across this country. & one day seeing kids excited about picking up the latest Dredd comics or toys. I find that all very difficult to pull off with a R rating. :P

I like the fact they're making it dark & gritty,but the R rating could hurt the movie.

You are so very right

I dream of the day Judge Dredd merchandise (preferably by Hasbro) is in the toy aisles of Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart & various other chain stores across this country. & one day seeing kids excited about picking up the latest Dredd comics or toys. I find that all very difficult to pull off with a R rating. :P

The MPAA rule is you can have as much violence as you want and keep a PG-13 rating, but a nipple slip and BOOM..."R"

And as for wanting to see Dredd toys in Wal-mart/Target aisles...what about these?

LCBH_judge_dredd.jpg

or my favorites....these?

6211.jpg

I enjoyed him in Pathfinder, but his biggest role is Eomer, son of the king of Rohan banished by Wormtongue/Saruman, in Lord of the Rings. Not a lot of speaking parts, but he had an impressive screen presence nonetheless. (thumbs u

legaloswouldkill3.jpgEomer_170.jpg

He was the warrior who chucked that spear into the elephant rider/master while defending Minas Tirith (thumbs u

You are so very right

The MPAA rule is you can have as much violence as you want and keep a PG-13 rating, but a nipple slip and BOOM..."R"

And as for wanting to see Dredd toys in Wal-mart/Target aisles...what about these?

LCBH_judge_dredd.jpg

or my favorites....these?

6211.jpg

I meant in the same amount as Iron Man or Star Wars, not just two different cheractors from a single toyline.

Plus I both Love & Hate that DREDD figure. The ''Death'' figure is PERFECT, but the Dredd suffers from having the ''Long shot'' body which wasn't the best fit for him.

They should have just Made a all new figure with a Bolland sculpt like Death.

The problem I see is that the producers appear to be too serious with the ''Realistic'' Dark & Gritty look & they seem to be forgetting that the world of Judge Dredd is anything but serious .

I mean You have dimensional super fiends (Dark Judges) who want to exterminate ALL life, People who are so fat (1 metric TON in some cases) they need a wheel between their legs to get around lol and laws that are so ridiculous it's absurdly laughable.

He was the warrior who chucked that spear into the elephant rider/master while defending Minas Tirith (thumbs u

A very satisfying scene...that master guy looked like such a tool. :cloud9:

I just discoverd the leaked -script and I am going to read it and let everyone know what I think. (thumbs u

However Reading this post by someone who has read the -script doesn't make the -script sound promising at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Long term Dredd fan. Having read the entire screenplay, here's my verdict with spoilers taken out. My original review had a few spoilers to help illustrate my points but I've removed them.

Lame Die Hard copy set in Dredd's world.

No imagination, no satire, no invention, cliche villains, just Die Hard in a block. It really is Die Hard in a block.

The outline suggested Dredd and Anderson have to escape with the perp but that's not the case. Kay, their perp, is just some gang member of little importance.

Mega-City 1 is portrayed as poverty-stricken. Peach Tree Block (not the greatest name for a block) is a slum. The overall feeling you get is Mega-City 1 is a bit of a dump. Garland's screenplay does not paint a high tech view of the future. This a grimy, dirty vision of MC-1.

Ma-Ma (worst villain name ever) isn't a great foe. Perhaps she'll be intimidating on screen but as a villain on paper she's kind of naff. A woman is hardly going to be much of a challenge for the ultra tough Judge Dredd! I'd rate her 2 out of 10 on the villain scale.

Dredd's character seems fairly consistent with Wagner's. He's taciturn, stoical, a man of action. The characterization is good.

Anderson's characterization is good too. She's fairly sensitive, a sharp contrast to Dredd's taciturn 'little emotion shown' character. There's some backstory about her parents. The Psi angle is used a bit, not to a huge extent. She comes over as physically tough which is consistent with how she's portrayed in the comic. The rookie subplot is okay. It works within the context of the larger storyline.

Garland has got the basics of Justice Dept right. A few changes here and there, such as 'responders' but overall it feels close to the comic version.

The Chief Judge appears. His/her actual name is not mentioned.

The perps are your standard type - seen in a million other action films. They're dumb, foul mouthed and can't aim straight! Nothing new there.

There's no satire, no poking fun at culture, at people.

There's no Wagner type ironic humour. The humour comes from the exchanges between the characters. Little of it seems to come from the situations. There's not much humour in the screenplay - period. It's done in a serious way.

The dialogue is peppered with "[frick]!" and "mother[frick]er!" No "drokks" - "gruds" or "stomms" to be seen. I missed them. The screenplay is very swear-ridden, perhaps too much?

It's violent. Heads blow up, people are set on fire, cut in half, blown up. It reads as 18 certificate but I guess the gore can edited down to 15 or PG 13 in the US.

Slo-mo is bullet time. It may not be done on screen like The Matrix but it seems similar. It doesn't play a major part in the story. It's featured early on but then it's more or less forgotten about. It does have some bearing on the plot though.

Plot - as mentioned, just Die Hard in a block. There is a a major plot development in the third act but it's still just Die Hard in a block.

The action is your standard stuff - mostly gun fights - a few fist fights too. No big action set pieces as such although I'm sure the action will look good on screen. The final battle is nothing you haven't seen before in a million cheap budget action films. No imagination there.

Conclusion

The screenplay is a missed opportunity to do something different, to show the crazy world of Mega-City 1. All the strangeness, the crazy perps, cits and crimes - there's none of that in Garland's screenplay. Not one thing. Garland is an unimaginative hack with zero passion for the material. A cynical writer just covering the basics. He stuck the rudimentary elements of Dredd's world into a Die Hard plot and believes that's good enough. I hope most fans can see that it's not good enough.

In terms of story originality I'd rate it 0 out of 10. Incredibly unimaginative. Overall I'd rate it 4 out of 10.

I hope this screenplay never gets made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dreddhead - 7/27/2010, 3:13 PM