• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The end of Daredevil....really...I Mean...are they serious.

69 posts in this topic

this brevoort guy is an i-d-i-o-t.

"I should never be surprised by the reactions our audience at this point, and yet time and again, week in and week out, they surprise me. We've been promoting "Who is the new Man Without Fear?" for something like three weeks now, and yet everybody is surprised that "Daredevil" is ending. One pretty clearly follows the other, so I was sort of taken aback by the response to the solicits being, "Oh my gosh! 'Daredevil' is ending!" What did you expect was going to happen when we asked who the new Man Without Fear would be?"

one does NOT clearly follow the other, dummy. detective and batman didn't stop when they replaced bruce wayne.

"I should never be surprised by the reactions our audience at this point, and yet time and again, week in and week out, they surprise me. We've been promoting "Who is the new Man Without Fear?" for something like three weeks now, and yet everybody is surprised that "Daredevil" is ending. One pretty clearly follows the other, so I was sort of taken aback by the response to the solicits being, "Oh my gosh! 'Daredevil' is ending!" What did you expect was going to happen when we asked who the new Man Without Fear would be?"

one does NOT clearly follow the other, dummy. detective and batman didn't stop when they replaced bruce wayne.

Agreed--I still don't know who Brevoort is, but after reading your quoted line from the linked article, I remembering hoping he isn't somewhere in the Marvel management structure. :eek:

Agreed--I still don't know who Brevoort is, but after reading your quoted line from the linked article, I remembering hoping he isn't somewhere in the Marvel management structure. :eek:

Oh god, he's Marvel's "Executive Editor." :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brevoort

Ahhhh good ol' Marvel...

First when the whole Marvel U was killed off by that supermutant; ASM and Mephisto; Civil War; Death of Cap; Red Hulk etc...

Not surprising news to me. Maybe I'm just too old or biased about the old(er) days, but I'm just of the opinion that comic stories nowadays are relying too heavily on shock value to sell items.

I remember thinking how stupid the storyline was back in the day during the first ASM clone arc (144-150). Then the ensuing PPSS Carrion arc that stemmed from that years later....After that, things were better until ASM in the two hundred teens (whatever issue the Sandman and Hydroman merged :sick: )

Oh and of course anytime Byrne scripted a title he ruined it :cry:

I guess it goes in cycles... :shrug:

zzz

I grow tired of continually saying " Sure glad I no longer read Moderns" zzz

Well, it also means you missed out on the nearly 90 issue run on this title that was phenomenal. All I need to do to get over things like this is drop the title (which I did with issue #506) and I can keep the memory of the bendis and brubaker runs intact :)

Exactly. Both titles kept on chugging (in fine form I should add.)

Exactly. Both titles kept on chugging (in fine form I should add.)

I was more surprised he'd have any reason at all to believe that 46 years of Daredevil fans who would be surprised that the title is ending would be following whatever news outlet they're using to promote "Who is the new Man Without Fear?" Did I miss a Fox News or MSNBC alert about this, or is he assuming every single Daredevil fan reads Previews, Marvel.com, or every comic the week it comes out? :eyeroll:

zzz

Well, it also means you missed out on the nearly 90 issue run on this title that was phenomenal. All I need to do to get over things like this is drop the title (which I did with issue #506) and I can keep the memory of the bendis and brubaker runs intact :)

exactly. wonderful story lines and art. you'd also miss WD, and a bunch of other great titles (most good titles are non marvel/dc now imo)

zzz

exactly. wonderful story lines and art. you'd also miss WD, and a bunch of other great titles (most good titles are non marvel/dc now imo)

+2

Daredevil has had phenomenal writing for years now. :cloud9: I have two years worth of issues stacked up to read so I can't comment on the post-Bendis issues though.

zzz

+2

Daredevil has had phenomenal writing for years now. :cloud9: I have two years worth of issues stacked up to read so I can't comment on the post-Bendis issues though.

i never understood people saying "i don't read moderns." sounds kinda dumb. i can understand not caring about 90's comic books. i can't really remember too many great titles, and it was the worst decade in comics. even when comics finally stop being printed, it'll still be the worst decade in comics. now though, you've got many books receiving awards for their quality, not to mention how much they're hyped on here, and the fact that you can read previews at the very least online. titles that are so good, they're being turned into tv shows and movies (WD, scott pilgrim). it's akin to saying you love basketball, but don't watch today's game. well then, you must not love basketball as much as you think you do.

i never understood people saying "i don't read moderns." sounds kinda dumb. i can understand not caring about 90's comic books. i can't really remember too many great titles, and it was the worst decade in comics. even when comics finally stop being printed, it'll still be the worst decade in comics. now though, you've got many books receiving awards for their quality, not to mention how much they're hyped on here, and the fact that you can read previews at the very least online. titles that are so good, they're being turned into tv shows and movies (WD, scott pilgrim). it's akin to saying you love basketball, but don't watch today's game. well then, you must not love basketball as much as you think you do.

Why don't I buy moderns?

Because I only have so much available cash that why. You know what gives me pleasure? Buying and reading comics that are 20-30-40 years old. You know what gives me very little pleasure (with a few notable exceptions)? Buying and reading new comics, that's what. I love comics. I have very little love for new mainstream superhero comics. Add in the high cover prices and that pretty much seals the coffin lid for me. Why should I spend my already stretched funds on stuff I have no interest in reading when I can pool that and buy stuff I am interested in reading?

Why don't I buy moderns?

Because I only have so much available cash that why. You know what gives me pleasure? Buying and reading comics that are 20-30-40 years old. You know what gives me very little pleasure (with a few notable exceptions)? Buying and reading new comics, that's what. I love comics. I have very little love for new mainstream superhero comics. Add in the high cover prices and that pretty much seals the coffin lid for me. Why should I spend my already stretched funds on stuff I have no interest in reading when I can pool that and buy stuff I am interested in reading?

You know what bores me? People who butt in to say they "don't buy moderns anymore" in a thread about moderns. No offense to Jeffro and the other fine posters of this community but seriously... rantrant

Why don't I buy moderns?

You know what bores me? People who butt in to say they "don't buy moderns anymore" in a thread about moderns. No offense to Jeffro and the other fine posters of this community but seriously... rantrant

lol Soooo, Hawkman gets to make a statement about not understanding why we don't read moderns but I'm not allowed to actually state my reasons for not buying.

Okay

zzz

+1,000. the house of no ideas

Sounds similar to Batman R.I.P. which sounds similar to Captain America Reborn which sounds similar to Batman Knightfall.

Actually, I wouldn't compare it to RIP at all - that was just a typical (yet immense) screw up by Morrison. Only he could have masterminded anything that bad. And, nearly two years later, he's back giving us the excruciating missing chapter.

And I wouldn't compare that to Knightfall anyway, that was well thought out, well written, and very well executed (at least up until Knightsend which was so bad and rushed it was very uncomfrotable to read). But it never killed off a character, in fact the story revolved around his rehabilitation and having to clean up his own messes which was quite refreshing.

Why don't I buy moderns?

my post had to do with the mentality of people who constantly post "i don't buy moderns." that JC mentality isn't because they can't afford them, etc, it's because they think they are somehow better because they read older, more valuable books. they look down on modern comic buyers. it's silly, and childish. why even post about it? if you don't buy/read moderns, why bother those of us who do by posting it constantly in modern related threads? nothing against those who don't buy/read/pay attention for financial reasons, or because they don't care for the style of today's comics.

A few things that are wrong with modern Marvel/DC is the continuity, it`s really confusing for somebody who hasn`t read them in 15 years,The other is likeability, I want my heroes to be heroes, I had enough of the Watchmen/Dark Knight waterdown versions, my Spider-man and X-men are dead, who are these imposters? With that being said I have never read a comicbook(except Cerebus) on the level of Walking Dead,Bone,Proof or Locke & Key, those are great moderns. :cloud9: