• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is trimming a book considered Slight Restoration?

53 posts in this topic

does it depend on what has been trimmed? sometimes, particular with GA, there is sometimes and extra piece of cover hanging off the book due to an error in the printing process. in that case, the trim would be like 1/4 of an inch, not all along the side.

It seems to me that trimming a book is not exactly slight restoration. How does CGC put trimming in the same class as a slight color touch? One might be easily removed, the other is permanent.

They don't put it in the same class as other types of restoration, they attempt to differentiate it. When a book has trimming only, they put it in capital letters and don't prefix it with the phrase "Restoration includes:". They used to also put it on the right side of the label, not in the middle like they do most types of resto, but they may have been inconsistent with that over time, I'm not sure. They explicitly told me on the phone that they don't attempt to classify it as amateur or professional as with other types of work. They do, however, put the word "Apparent" in front of the grade and put it in a purple label, which completely fudges their attempt to differentiate it from restoration. :eek:

It's just a judgement call on CGC's part to put it in a Restored holder.

They are not saying that it's restoration, but they are saving themselves the trouble of creating a new color folder for books that only have trimming done to them by simply dropping it into a Purple holder with a "TRIMMED" notation.

It seems to me that trimming a book is not exactly slight restoration. How does CGC put trimming in the same class as a slight color touch? One might be easily removed, the other is permanent.

Some restoration is permanent and some is not. It all depends on the type of work. That is not how they differentiate whether it's resto or not.

They are not saying that it's restoration, but they are saving themselves the trouble of creating a new color folder for books that only have trimming done to them by simply dropping it into a Purple holder with a "TRIMMED" notation.

Why not the GLOD then? Kind of a trivial distinction either way, people would shun them no matter what the label color was if it was anything other that blue.

Doesn't the purple holder say "RESTORED" on it? I'd say that's officially calling it restored.

Anybody got an example of a scanned slab with trimming only? I probably have one at home, or maybe not, been a while since I've seen one.

Here you go.

The book is in a Restored holder (for sake of convenience I assume), TRIMMED is notated on the right and it's an apparent grade (no SP/MP/EP) and therefore not "Resto" notes under the title.

Why not the GLOD then? Kind of a trivial distinction either way, people would shun them no matter what the label color was if it was anything other that blue.

Why not have it's own label color then? I don't know, simplicity?

Personally, I don't look down on trimming like most people do. I think it's just a programmed response from being burned over the years by people trying to pull the wool over collector's eyes. I much prefer a book with a small amount of trim over a book with chunks replaced myself.

Anybody got an example of a scanned slab with trimming only? I probably have one at home, or maybe not, been a while since I've seen one.

Here you go.

The book is in a Restored holder (for sake of convenience I assume), TRIMMED is notated on the right and it's an apparent grade (no SP/MP/EP) and therefore not "Resto" notes under the title.

That's one of the worst trim jobs I've ever seen.

Doesn't the purple holder say "RESTORED" on it?

No, not when trimming is the only thing found.

Looking at that book Roy linked, I'm wrong--it does still say "CGC Restored Grade" at the very top, forgot about that. Regardless of their intention, the content of their communication via the label is clear--trimmed comics are restored.

Looking at that book Roy linked, I'm wrong--it does still say "CGC Restored Grade" at the very top, forgot about that. Regardless of their intention, the content of their communication via the label is clear--trimmed comics are restored.

I'm betting that the labels are pre printed with the "RESTORED" word at the top so it would be a pain to change that now.

You're right, it still effectively gets the point across...especially with the bold "TRIMMED" at the right side of the label.

(thumbs u

Why not have it's own label color then? I don't know, simplicity?

Personally, I don't look down on trimming like most people do. I think it's just a programmed response from being burned over the years by people trying to pull the wool over collector's eyes. I much prefer a book with a small amount of trim over a book with chunks replaced myself.

I don't like trimming but agree the response is often not consistent with the degree of damage, especially when I see lots of books not considered or labelled as trimmed but which have just as much cut oft the edges. I've even seen plenty of books -- not considered trimmed -- with slightly uneven right edges, as if they were cut by hand with scissors instead of printing production blade.

When I see that I care more about how it looks than I do about how it got that way.

And if it comes down to an 1/8" off the top versus two inches off a corner, I don't get how the missing corner is considered more desirable.

But my favorite experience regarding a trimmed book has to be a book I saw advertised in a catalogue as trimmed, and I asked how bad it was. Hearing it was just to the edge of the interior paper, I bought it. When I got the book in the mail he had described it perfectly, but failed to mention that he, or someone before him, had put not one but two big ugly stamps on the book that said, in large print, "TRIMMED BOOK."

While I agree the top of the purple label is somewhat of a contradiction. The fact that CGC does not assign a Pro, Amateur notation, Slight, Mod, or Ext. tells me that they simply put trimmed books in purple holders noting which edges were trimmed. And does not really consider them restored.

If they were to put it in a GLOD they would in essence be saying trimming is a qualified flaw, which it clearly isn't. How can you assign a trimmed book with a qualified grade? Would you grade it based upon what it might have graded before a fuzzy edge was trimmed off? Then again, I never was able to really wrap my head around what the Green label is and isn't for. :frustrated:

So aside from a completely different colored label, the PLOD was their best easiest option for "Trimmed only" books.

Trimming is pretty bad as far as I'm concerned. I think it's because it's about removing, not restoring or replacing something. To me it's more like damaging a comic than "restoring" it. Also, I like my restoration removable or reversible. Since trimming involves removing part of the comic, it's not reversible.

Aesthetically speaking, a good trim job isn't bad at all. I usually can't even notice it.

If they were to put it in a GLOD they would in essence be saying trimming is a qualified flaw, which it clearly isn't.

The GLOD is easy to understand, although that doesn't make it any less useless--it's the catch-all category for books that have some weird flaw. Also, trimming in the GLOD is easy to see as fitting their qualified criteria UNLESS they intentionally think of it as restoration, because if they'll put the book below in a GLOD, why not a trimmed book? It's the same defect--pieces chopped out--with two meaningful distinctions--the intent and the location, with the location of a trim improving the appearance of the book (restoring it) as opposed to detracting from it as the missing part of the book below does. Trimming is done to deceive, and people just don't like that no matter what qualifying words you choose to describe it, so we all prefer to define it as resto, even though it really isn't, it's intentional damage.

RAD731292009417_19916.jpg