• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

So I settled for bidding on a PQ upgrade on the ASM 37 White-pager and thought I had won only to see at the last SNIPE-second I lost... :frustrated:

Sorry about that. :foryou:

I really needed an upgrade on my ASM 37 and 39. Happy with pages on both. (thumbs u

CONGRATS MAN! :headbang:

So I settled for bidding on a PQ upgrade on the ASM 37 White-pager and thought I had won only to see at the last SNIPE-second I lost... :frustrated:

Sorry about that. :foryou:

I really needed an upgrade on my ASM 37 and 39. Happy with pages on both. (thumbs u

CONGRATS MAN! :headbang:

Thanks, they fit into my run nicely... :banana:

Mine's the one where the grades go down along with the issue numbers..... doh!

Aquaman #6 for $1700. Damn!

I obviously was not the winner, or even anywhere in the running.

i picked up the aquaman #19 and the atom #2- roughly 30% below last sales (that i could find). probably 30% higher than what they sold for before the squishing :cry:

:o Have you changed your low-balling ways?

That was a pretty healthy price on the #19!

only 9.6; went for $1075 in 2008. since 9.8 went for $1900, i was thinking less than 1/2 that would be ok. hard book for me to find in grade. my raw green river probably isn't even a 9.2

i picked up the aquaman #19 and the atom #2- roughly 30% below last sales (that i could find). probably 30% higher than what they sold for before the squishing :cry:

only 9.6; went for $1075 in 2008. since 9.8 went for $1900, i was thinking less than 1/2 that would be ok. hard book for me to find in grade. my raw green river probably isn't even a 9.2

:o

Anybody here win the AF 15 9.0 PLOD at $9101? I'm thinking if I could've negotiated that going in I definitely would've pulled the trigger...

:headbang:

RAD6BC4A201083_165758.jpg

A TRIMMED and restored copy going for $9k?? :o What's this world coming to???????!!???? doh!

here's some GPA info on unrestored 9.0:

9.0 Jul-2010

2010 (1) $150,000Hi

2004 (1) $48,000Hi

2002 (1) $36,800Hi

so, this resto'd 9.0 went for 6% of recent unresto'd. pretty harsh considering the book it is and the grade. jus' my 2c

It's a bit beyond harsh; but it is the market.

To me, it sends a kind of message that I predict might soften as time goes on.

When I see someone pay 150k for an unrestored 9.0 but under 10k for a trimmed copy w/color touch, it's almost as though the market is saying the degree of preservation is almost insignificant as some will pay 140k more to get the copy without the trim and color touch.

Now if this 9.0 PLOD was never trimmed and never color touched, would it be a 9.0, an 8.5, an 8.0, etc? It would still be a HG most likely, well preserved albeit not perfect.

But collectors in todays market are so turned off by trimming (especially) and color touch because of the stigma created by people trying to deceive by means of restoring a book.

It would bother me beyond words if I bought a book raw that was advertised as unrestored only to have it come back with a purple label. But once it's slabbed, you know what you're getting and for me personally, I'm not nearly as turned off so long as I know what I'm getting and the book comes with a discount.

A 94% discount is pretty generous; but that's the market.

As time goes on and if both an unrestored and restored 9.0 (w/trim & ct) come up for auction at the same time, I tend to think that eventually collectors will find it hard to justify paying 140k more just to be without that degree of restoration.

The message that I'm getting is that collectors are hating restoration more than they're loving a well preserved super-grail.

I don't expect the 150k value to be going down, I just expect the PLOD value to be going up.

Anybody here win the AF 15 9.0 PLOD at $9101? I'm thinking if I could've negotiated that going in I definitely would've pulled the trigger...

:headbang:

RAD6BC4A201083_165758.jpg

A TRIMMED and restored copy going for $9k?? :o What's this world coming to???????!!???? doh!

here's some GPA info on unrestored 9.0:

9.0 Jul-2010

2010 (1) $150,000Hi

2004 (1) $48,000Hi

2002 (1) $36,800Hi

so, this resto'd 9.0 went for 6% of recent unresto'd. pretty harsh considering the book it is and the grade. jus' my 2c

It's a bit beyond harsh; but it is the market.

To me, it sends a kind of message that I predict might soften as time goes on.

When I see someone pay 150k for an unrestored 9.0 but under 10k for a trimmed copy w/color touch, it's almost as though the market is saying the degree of preservation is almost insignificant as some will pay 140k more to get the copy without the trim and color touch.

Now if this 9.0 PLOD was never trimmed and never color touched, would it be a 9.0, an 8.5, an 8.0, etc? It would still be a HG most likely, well preserved albeit not perfect.

But collectors in todays market are so turned off by trimming (especially) and color touch because of the stigma created by people trying to deceive by means of restoring a book.

It would bother me beyond words if I bought a book raw that was advertised as unrestored only to have it come back with a purple label. But once it's slabbed, you know what you're getting and for me personally, I'm not nearly as turned off so long as I know what I'm getting and the book comes with a discount.

A 94% discount is pretty generous; but that's the market.

As time goes on and if both an unrestored and restored 9.0 (w/trim & ct) come up for auction at the same time, I tend to think that eventually collectors will find it hard to justify paying 140k more just to be without that degree of restoration.

The message that I'm getting is that collectors are hating restoration more than they're loving a well preserved super-grail.

I don't expect the 150k value to be going down, I just expect the PLOD value to be going up.

Even though it's against my best interests to disagree...I agree... 2c

The only way PLODs will go up is if CGC ever decides to start listing two grades with restored comics--the apparent grade and the actual grade if the restoration were to be removed. I suspect that second grade to be impractical in at least some cases and difficult in almost all cases, so I highly doubt they ever do it. Without a sans-restoration grade, you're not just comparing apples to oranges by comparing an unrestored book to a PLOD, you're comparing apples to some kind of fruit that's wrapped up in a closed paper bag that might be an orange, might be a discarded pork belly, nobody can really say. (shrug)

I say all of this as a fan of restoration, but a fan who knows why people don't like restored books. They're an unknown quantity, and the prices reflect that. This book went for more than it should have; don't be surprised if the next restored 9.0 of this book goes for 4K next year, prices are just all over the place with these, there's no accepted way to place a value on them.

Agreed, I think this can be said for most High Grade GA and SA keys

If that were true, people would start literally manufacturing these books, i.e. taking lower-graded books and restoring them up...and that's a big part of the reason people don't like them in the first place. They're not found gold, they're crafted gold.

Considering the 9.0 went for $30K or so on Heritage I'd say that this book has momentum.

It's on par with books like X-men #1 and TOS #39 now. It wasn't in the past, was it?

The 9.4 copy was.

The 5.0 copy of B&B #28 went for a strong price as well. Just earlier this year there were several that sold for $950 - $1050.

According to GPA, a 6.0 sold for $1631 in August 2010 as well.

the spidey 24 9.6 white went for $6200

late last year another 9.6 white (could be the same book ) went for $22000

some real interesting pricves on hgih grade spideys- some real strong, others down

FF's appear to be finsihing strong- comapred to recent hgih grade ff's

doug schmellhad teh valpraiso 9.6 ff 52 go for jsut over $4k?? from memory 0 i shldve bid on that book!!

the 9,.4 ff 52 looks like it will finish over $4k

some real interesting pricves on hgih grade spideys- some real strong, others down

doug schmellhad teh valpraiso 9.6 ff 52 go for jsut over $4k?? from memory 0 i shldve bid on that book!!

Appreciate the post, but are you on medication? :insane:

The only way PLODs will go up is if CGC ever decides to start listing two grades with restored comics--the apparent grade and the actual grade if the restoration were to be removed. I suspect that second grade to be impractical in at least some cases and difficult in almost all cases, so I highly doubt they ever do it. Without a sans-restoration grade, you're not just comparing apples to oranges by comparing an unrestored book to a PLOD, you're comparing apples to some kind of fruit that's wrapped up in a closed paper bag that might be an orange, might be a discarded pork belly, nobody can really say. (shrug)

I say all of this as a fan of restoration, but a fan who knows why people don't like restored books. They're an unknown quantity, and the prices reflect that. This book went for more than it should have; don't be surprised if the next restored 9.0 of this book goes for 4K next year, prices are just all over the place with these, there's no accepted way to place a value on them.

True, there are many collectors out there who might want to buy a slight-a book, only to have the resto removed and presto...a blue label book.

That's something to consider for sure, but I think it's also worth simply looking at it from the perspective of keeping the book in its given PLOD condition.

There are investors out there who really do believe that any book with a purple label is un-collectible. Maybe not literally, but examples like this where one with slight-a sells for 94% less than unrestored, I could see how the tone of that message could come across to investors.

Public opinions can change but as of right now, there is an extreme stigma against PLODs; especially ones with trimming. That is not something I expect to change over-night, nor do I ever expect the market to look at blues and purples as being the same. There is a difference and there should be a difference.

But that doesn't mean that -94% of a difference will hold up as time goes on.

Collectors have to ask themselves...why do they collect books like these in the first place?

The history, love of the character, thrill of the hunt, etc.?

So what does this degree of restoration take away from that?

You still have a super-grail, the #1 book of all to some people, preserved beyond belief and one of the finest looking copies most collectors will ever see (within reason of course).

The history...it's there. Love of the character...it's there. And the preservation of the book after almost 50 years...it's all there.

So what's the difference?

Some trimming and color touch made a beautiful book look a little more beautiful. It's not a true 9.0; I get that.

But I think that in time, if people can get past the stigma and appreciate a book like this for what it really is...perhaps the most popular comic book of all-time, preserved better than most of the remaining copies in existence...it will be hard for people to want to continue to pay 15X the price (or if it dropped to 4K like you suggested "could" happen, then 37.5X the price) just to have a copy without trimming and color touch.

If they continue to do so, they really do appear to be sending the message (for better or worse) that they hate trimming and color touch far more than they love the preservation of the book and the book itself.

I just don't think that trend will continue to the same extent as time goes on.

never did understand that price and i believe it happened twice. i also believe this book was in SD and had a $20k sticker on it.

never did understand that price and i believe it happened twice. i also believe this book was in SD and had a $20k sticker on it.

who was selling it @ SD?

who was selling it @ SD?

A-1. can you provide a link because when i search for ASM, there's no #24 9.6 that shows up in this auction.

Almost all of the Aquamans in the teens are hard to find in grade. With the exception of Aquaman 2, it's harder to find most Aquamans in the teens in 9.4 than 1-10. So that's a good pick-up.

The low number of NM Aquamans in the teens is one of the more puzzling mysteries that I've come across. Don't know if it's they're genuinely scarce, or demand hasn't been enough to drive supply. But Aquamans in the 20s and on aren't as hard to find in grade, even though they go for relatively cheap, so I don't think it's purely a demand-driven phenomenon. It will be interesting to see if some of the high prices for issues in the teens paid recently helps to drive more supply of high grade copies.