• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's Baltimore Comic Con Report

34 posts in this topic

he said, I sold the booth and all my comics -- both waves. He sold both his bronze and silver that he brought to the convention

Man, I can't tell you how many times I had a dream like this when I was a convention seller.

Just once to go home with an empty van. lol

Sunday:

Sunday is generally the day that I run around and clean up everything. This show was no different and my favorite purchase of the day came on Sunday. By extension, as I sit here and type this, I got back the Cap 100 CGC 9.4 white (bowling green) from Mike Miles and it is every bit as beautiful as I remember it. Certainly a book I'll categorize as a 'baltimore con' purchase.

At any rate I woke up on Sunday and grabbed some breakfast with Dave, my wife and son at a great local eatery, Miss Shirley's. Dave needed to get back to NYC so I dropped him off at the train station. I headed down to the con and since Ken (decepticon) was busy roaming the floor, I helped blazing bob for the first couple hours of the show. It was a little slow, but there was plenty to pass the time as I spent 45 minutes or so chatting with Matt Nelson, Terry O'Neill and Bob while also chatting with Ted and his helper Jose. Great conversations.

I finished up with Bob Storms last, but I'll post my two buys now. I purchased a TTA 59 with awesome colors and whites and then my favorite purchase of the show, an Avengers 4 CGC 8.0 ow/w -- it's a very attractive copy in hand and I'm thrilled. Best eye appeal copy I've had in a long time.

avengers4cgc-4.jpg

TTA59.jpg

Before lunch, I was able to settle up with Harley's crew and picked out numerous nice high grade books that I really enjoyed. Here's a small sample. My scanner often washes out the colors and gloss and you can't see how amazing some of these books turn out.

avengers12-1.jpg

TOS68-1.jpg

In an effort to completely give my self coronary heart disease, bruce, brian kondravey, steve borock and John (zuckuss2003) went again to 5 Guys for another delicious burger. After we got back, Roy ran in quickly to bring a couple of books for me which included a JIM 118 9.0 where the colors, inks and paper were just breath taking. Had to have it. The scans again did the book no justice. I also picked up from Roy an Avengers 8 CGC 9.0 cr/ow that was very nice.

JIM118-1.jpg

avengers8cgc.jpg

My last two purchases of the day came from Richie Evans who picked up some real nice original owner Marvels that had sick colors as well. I already had both of these, but I can't resist more high grade Marvels with unbelievable eye appeal.

ST150.jpg

Cap102.jpg

I left around 3:30 or 4 and I found the show to be immensely enjoyable. Had a great time seeing old friends and new, and bought a truckload of new books at great prices. Most of the dealers had some really superior inventory and great deals. I'm really looking forward to NYC, but for very different reasons. Kudos to Marc Nathan for putting on another great show.

One last note: One thing that was reinforced again in a multitude of conversations are just how many bad and unethical sellers there are in comics. I encourage you to support the ones that ARE ethical. I'm not saying this just because he's my friend, but Bob Storms is definitely in that league. So if you're paying a little more occasionally for a book, I strongly recommend you patronize a guy like this. Same is true for guys like Greg Reece, Richie Evans, Dave Reynolds and Terry O'Neill. You obviously have to be a smart consumer, but be very aware of who you are and are not buying from. There were definitely dealers in Baltimore I would NEVER recommend to anyone, but I'll continue to do so privately, and not stir the pot barring outright fraud.

That being said, Baltimore was an awesome show and I had a great time buying. It was extremely successful, and I will gear up again next year to support this show. On to Javitz!

Every year I kick myself for not going to this convention since it and Heroes are both close to where I live...I'm just always broke from buying at online auctions or in the process of saving for a key and never expect to find early Marvels that I need at these shows for down-to-earth prices, so I don't go. I really need to finally start selling stuff so I can get some spending money for a close show like this one. :blush:

Every year I kick myself for not going to this convention since it and Heroes are both close to where I live...I'm just always broke from buying at online auctions or in the process of saving for a key and never expect to find early Marvels that I need at these shows for down-to-earth prices, so I don't go. I really need to finally start selling stuff so I can get some spending money for a close show like this one. :blush:

Or bring your undercopies as trade bait for dealers.

(thumbs u

I agree with Roy's post.

Bring undercopies to trade and you will get good deals.

I'm looking for a lot of early FF's in 9.0. I'm sure you have them.

And for the record define "down to earth". Does that translate into I want to pay wholesale?

And for the record define "down to earth". Does that translate into I want to pay wholesale?

Plus or minus 10% of average recent sales. If I know I can get it for less because I've already passed on something multiple times for less, I don't pay that price. I've got zero reason to pay a price that's 3-10 years ahead of its time given that I've consistently been able to pay market or slightly under for the last decade, UNLESS it's a great copy of a tough book. I paid those kinds of prices when you liquidated your personal FFs and am still pleased with those buys. :cloud9:

I doubt I'd take undercopies of early Marvels to shows, at least not the 9.x ones--historically I've used those as tradebait with other FF and Spidey collectors I network with, don't have many right now as I've already used most or all for leverage. What I need to sell are the hundreds of 7.5 - 9.4 mid-to-late Silver books I have sitting around...my plan is for them to be my introduction to E-Bay, these forums, etc--since the Internet has made everyone a dealer now--I just haven't gotten off of my butt to do it yet.

Brian! I missed you at this show :(

I only wandered through the aisles quickly and I looked for you, but things were so packed on Saturday I just wasn't able to wade through. NYC at the Javitz?

See ya there (thumbs u

you probably saw him but didnt realize it cause you were looking for some old guy.

:baiting:

I agree with Roy's post.

Bring undercopies to trade and you will get good deals.

I'm looking for a lot of early FF's in 9.0. I'm sure you have them.

You can almost spell a different word with the word "wholesale". hm:grin:

That's very well said and I agree whole-heartedly.

One last note: One thing that was reinforced again in a multitude of conversations are just how many bad and unethical sellers there are in comics. I encourage you to support the ones that ARE ethical. I'm not saying this just because he's my friend, but Bob Storms is definitely in that league. So if you're paying a little more occasionally for a book, I strongly recommend you patronize a guy like this. Same is true for guys like Greg Reece, Richie Evans, Dave Reynolds and Terry O'Neill. You obviously have to be a smart consumer, but be very aware of who you are and are not buying from. There were definitely dealers in Baltimore I would NEVER recommend to anyone, but I'll continue to do so privately, and not stir the pot barring outright fraud.