• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When UHG no longer matters

48 posts in this topic

When I began here I had a collection that was focused on completion of runs. After some time here I was opened up to so many new titles, characters, and genres. I also became very grade concious... As time has moved on (and my tastes have changed), I realize grade isnt the almighty I thought it was. A conversation awhile back with Foolkiller brought some very valid points, but the conversation was based on this. Why buy books that break the bank, and dont look so great. Why buy a 9.4 when a nice 9.2 can look as good if not better? And it got me thinking.. I collect alot of 9.0 books, I prefer good wraps and nice pages to all. And lately find myself picking up 8.0/8.5 books that nobody wants due to grade that just look so good!

Is anyone else feeling this, or is it just a few who have been dropped on their heads? Or maybe the kool-aid isnt as strong as it used to be? hm

Brother your speaking my language.When it comes to copper/modern I'm with 9.6/9.8s,but when it comes to Silver and Bronze 8.0-9.2s are the sweet spot.As for the big grails AF#15,Hulk#1,ToS #39 etc. whatever grade I can afford at the time,usually 3.5-4.5 :applause: I could never afford those 10,20,30K books that some people can around here,but in my eyes my collection is just as impressive.

There is always this perception that a 9.2 is a better looking book than a 9.8. That a 9.8 may get a better grade but you can find something lower grade that is far superior.

The truth is a great looking 9.8 looks better than a great looking 9.2. Buy what you like and what you can afford.

There is always this perception that a 9.2 is a better looking book than a 9.8. That a 9.8 may get a better grade but you can find something lower grade that is far superior.

The truth is a great looking 9.8 looks better than a great looking 9.2. Buy what you like and what you can afford.

Or the perception that there is no visible difference. There is.

(thumbs u

Brother your speaking my language.When it comes to copper/modern I'm with 9.6/9.8s,but when it comes to Silver and Bronze 8.0-9.2s are the sweet spot.

+1 (mostly)

For me I am quite happy with 8.0 and 8.5's for books from 1950's through 1965. After 65 though I want 9.2's through the mid seventies. After that it would have to be 9.8's as books are so plentiful, although I do not quite understand slabbing moderns even though I went through a phase where I picked up half of pre-Unity in 9.8's despite having nice copies of the books I bought off the racks. Note sure what my cut-off for Golden Age would be but likely around 3.0 I would guess.

I've never quite understood the buy the label not the book. If a book has a horrible miswrap I do not care what the CGC grade is, I will be passing on it. I have a minimum floor for grades, but even then it is buy the book not the label as not all 8.0's are created equal. It should always be buy the book not the label.

I've been doing it for years, Pat.

In terms of 'bang for your buck', I reckon the 8.5-9.2 range is where you get the most. :headbang:

Yep, same here. I've been buying 8.0 - 9.2 range books since I started collecting again. They look nice enough for me and are a lot easier on my wallet. (thumbs u

In terms of 'bang for your buck', I reckon the 8.5-9.2 range is where you get the most. :headbang:

Yep, same here. I've been buying 8.0 - 9.2 range books since I started collecting again. They look nice enough for me and are a lot easier on my wallet. (thumbs u

But not from me lately. :baiting:

You're right. hm

WTF's up with that? I will rectify that soon.

You're right. hm

WTF's up with that? I will rectify that soon.

lol

Send me your e-mail addy and I'll send you the new catalogue. (thumbs u