• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Jane - A Comic Book lover?

1 post in this topic

Jane Talks Punisher

Thomas Jane told SCI FI Wire that he knew little about The Punisher before signing on to star as the title character in the upcoming big-screen adaptation of the long-running comic book. "I knew about the skull, that it was really cool-looking," Jane said in an interview. "I thought he was some kind of superhero, but that turned out not to be true at all."

Jane added, "He doesn't have any super powers. He's just this guy. I wasn't interested in doing a play on super powers. I never got into that as a kid. So when I found out that Frank wasn't a superhero I got really intrigued. He's just this normal guy who's kind of cracked his crackers."

The Punisher tells the story of Frank Castle, an ex-Marine and undercover agent who seeks revenge following the murders of his wife and son. Castle doesn't use laser vision or telekinesis, nor does he spin webs, but rather he relies on an impressive array of weapons to topple his enemies. Preparing for the role, Jane, whose previous genre credits include Deep Blue Sea and Dreamcatcher, bulked up considerably, read as many Punisher comic books as possible and picked the brain of Garth Ennis, whose Welcome Back, Frank comics served as writer-director Jonathan Hensleigh's main inspiration.

"Garth was down there," Jane says, referring to the Tampa, Florida, set of The Punisher. "We had a couple of great cups of coffee together. He's a fantastic, fantastic guy, and I made him give away all his secrets about what he's going to do with Frank. I also read as many comics as I could get my hands on. Now, I said I didn't like superheroes, but I love comic books. I've been collecting them since I was a kid. So I know all the stores and places to go. I collected horror comics and sci-fi comics, not the superhero stuff. In the end, I approached Frank like I approach any role. I just approached Frank Castle as if I were playing a real guy who was known to millions of people." The Punisher opens on April 16.

Jane Talks Punisher