• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little off topic but..asking for some help/donations

31 posts in this topic

Let me apologize first for this long thread AND if its in the wrong area would appreciate the mods letting me know and where to move it. :grin:

As the newly voted President of the youth bowling league/association in my home town, we are trying to create a very successful program for children in the area. Getting them involved with the sport is harder then we all thought. Presently we have 61 children in the program starting at age 5 up to 20. There are different divisions based on age and talent, including a 'learn to bowl" program with a bronze and silver level certified coach.

There are many parents who have come to us and noted that they would love to have their children in the program but unfortunately can't afford it at this time and that is deterring more children from entering the program.

So what I am presenting with the letter below is to help fund kids into the program, plus help with costs for the tournaments they are entitled to participate in. Below is the letter/email I have sent out to people who I do business with, to also raise funds. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Sincerely,

Steve Rubin

Rube11

To all,

I am the president of a local youth bowling association here in PSL. There are a few leagues that are being run including a "learn to bowl" league with kids starting at age 5-20. We have a couple of licensed "bronze and silver" level coaches who work with the kids and try to get them involved with the sport. They are taught fundamentals, courtesy, and overall respect for the game and the people around them. These kids all get to bowl in the county and state tournaments run every year along with any local tournaments they chose to enter. Part of my function as the president is to raise funds to help with costs for many things including entry fees, hotels, weekly dues, etc. Along with every other part of the country we are affected by the economy and there are quite a few children that could use some help with costs (Port Saint Lucie has an umemployment rate of about 18%). We are also preparing to have some local fundraisers but I am reaching out to see if anyone else can give a small donation towards this, obviously there are no obligations as I fully understand the financial stability of the economy.

We have also created a facebook page under Saint Lucie Lanes to keep the kids/parents and anyone else up to date on what we are trying to do.

Anyway any donations would certainly be appreciated from $5 on up. I will also have a donation letter drawn up for anyone requesting it AND possibly banners that would be hung or placed in the bowling alley as advertisement. This will also be noted on the facebook pages. I would presume this could/should be a write off on taxes.

I am asking you as indivuals and/or if possible to ask your company if they would be interested.

I am hoping this email is not offensive to anyone as that is not the intention.

All donations/checks would be made out to Saint Lucie Lanes and noted as "stars of tomorrow) and can be sent to my address. Also would accept paypal as an option at sjr7158@aol.com

Any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance and Sincerely,

Steve Rubin

That's a good cause. Sounds like what you really need is bowling tourney fund raiser. I've participated in one before in MN. Sounds like you are into bowling yourself and are on a league? Hit a bunch of people up for the cause to get a four person team and have an afternoon tourney. Let the kids parents know, put a flyer up at the lanes, eagles club etc. The alley will probably give a big discount or free for some lanes on a Sunday afternoon for the cause. The teams come in and bowl their series and there are some prizes for high game, series, etc. Maybe you could even do a few 50 50s?

I bet you could get a good turn out if you have some bowling buds, and get them helping too.

Good luck

Thanks, yes we are doing all of those things, but last year it cost $14k to send all of the kids and parents to tournaments, plus league fee's and other costs. We are down almost 30 kids this year basically because they just can't afford it, to me that is a shame...

Yes, I do bowl (average around 215) but my wife AND son also bowl. My son is a freshman in high school and is now on the school team.

Steve

BOWL MORE

Is that suppose to be a joke?

No. I just advise bowling more...

Bowl more for what? I presume your not getting what the purpose of the thread was. Listen if you have any other smart comments why don't you keep them hidden away OR put some money up to help the cause..

Wow...after just about 1 day, and only 1 pm asking for some information I can't believe that no one is in a position to even offer a $5 donation to this. I know it might not be something that interests the board members but certainly the people I have worked with on prices for books they wanted to buy from me in the past might be able to help. Last year myself and one of the coaches put $3k out of our own pockets towards this and we are just not in that position again this year.

For all the $$ that fly around here buying and selling books, its kinda disappointing that no one has offered anything...makes me really think about offering books here to "collectors" who would like to have them in their own collections at usually better prices then gpa or market value.

Sorry about the post, just disappointed.

Thanks,

Steve

BOWL MORE

Bowl more for what? I presume your not getting what the purpose of the thread was. Listen if you have any other smart comments why don't you keep them hidden away OR put some money up to help the cause..

You are taking my comments out of context. As a fan of bowling, I'm simply saying "BOWL MORE" as a kind of cheer. I'm not saying it - as I suppose could be construed - to mean "bowl more and yadda yadda yadda less." I didn't mean to offend.

BOWL MORE

You are taking my comments out of context. As a fan of bowling, I'm simply saying "BOWL MORE" as a kind of cheer. I'm not saying it - as I suppose could be construed - to mean "bowl more and yadda yadda yadda less." I didn't mean to offend.

Ok.

Wow...after just about 1 day, and only 1 pm asking for some information I can't believe that no one is in a position to even offer a $5 donation to this. I know it might not be something that interests the board members but certainly the people I have worked with on prices for books they wanted to buy from me in the past might be able to help. Last year myself and one of the coaches put $3k out of our own pockets towards this and we are just not in that position again this year.

For all the $$ that fly around here buying and selling books, its kinda disappointing that no one has offered anything...makes me really think about offering books here to "collectors" who would like to have them in their own collections at usually better prices then gpa or market value.

Sorry about the post, just disappointed.

Thanks,

Steve

I hope you'll understand the following in the vein in which it is intended. I'm trying to be honest and helpful. I didn't consider contributing because this is not the typical "Someone is in trouble" solicitations. You don't mention anything about the group of kids and their economic status. Are they "at-risk" kids who need an after school activity? Or is this more in the area of any local youth sports program trying to make money to send the team to state, or buy equipment, or whatever? Is it possible that these kids simply have other activities to which the parents are directing their money? It's just not clear. But beyond all of that, on something like this, I'm simply more inclined to donate to someone locally. I'll stop at the car wash or buy the office worker's candy bars, etc.

I'm simply trying to offer some reasons for why you may not be getting a flood of donations. These boards are very generous and I take offense at the suggestion that, because you haven't received the response you thought you would get, that they are anything less.

These boards are very generous and I take offense at the suggestion that, because you haven't received the response you thought you would get, that they are anything less.

I gotta say, +1.

I understand what your saying, and didn't mean to come across as a "strong arm" tactic in anyway. I was comparing the offering to things I have done myself and towards other boardies in the past. Your right, this is not a life threatening situation and it is just to try and help out the kids who would like to be involved but just can't afford it.

I realize that something like this is easier for someone to help when its closer to home. So it wasn't meant to be offensive.

Steve