• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers/Defenders War......

46 posts in this topic

Gotta agree that the Defenders was great for a lot of the Bronze Age. I'm surprised that it gets as little kudos as it does. (shrug)

I love the Defenders - first book that I ever thought was 'my own' and not something I just borrowed from my older brother.

Gerber was a crazy genius.

Bring back the Killer Elf - the real one and not the retconned one/ones that came along later.

Who couldn't like Nebulon, Ruby Thursday and a crazed Bambi causing shed loads of confusion for the Hulk.

nebulondefenders1.jpg

JC What are the issues with the Wrecking Crew? I have never read them and I think they look like something I should pick up. Damn, after reading many of the comments here I think I should start the run at #1 and take it from there.....it is a series I never paid attention to at my LCS in the back issue boxes. The Defenders first appeared in Marvel Premiere, correct?

JC What are the issues with the Wrecking Crew? I have never read them and I think they look like something I should pick up. Damn, after reading many of the comments here I think I should start the run at #1 and take it from there.....it is a series I never paid attention to at my LCS in the back issue boxes. The Defenders first appeared in Marvel Premiere, correct?

Marvel Feature (volume 1) for first appearances but the genesis of the group appeared in Subby 34-36, I think.

Wrecking Crew in issues 17-19 of the Defenders.

Apologies to JC.

I can't believe this thread is here.

Just last week I was thinking of quietly putting together a high grade run of the Defenders and now I'm going to have to compete with you all?

Is there something in the water?

:insane:

Just last week I was thinking of quietly putting together a high grade run of the Defenders and now I'm going to have to compete with you all?

Subby was a founder member.

Defenders was one of my favorite titles. the first comic run I ever had was Defenders 16-18 so it holds some sentimental value for me. The writing did go a little too crazy by issue thirty five when it began competing with the craziness of Howard the Duck hehe. It didn't begin to improve again until J.M. Demattias took over late in the run.

I just want to read the books....for now... hm

Marvel Feature (volume 1) for first appearances but the genesis of the group appeared in Subby 34-36, I think.

Wrecking Crew in issues 17-19 of the Defenders.

Apologies to JC.

Thanks!

Defenders was one of my favorite titles. the first comic run I ever had was Defenders 16-18 so it holds some sentimental value for me. The writing did go a little too crazy by issue thirty five when it began competing with the craziness of Howard the Duck hehe. It didn't begin to improve again until J.M. Demattias took over late in the run.

What issue did J.M. Dematteis start in?

What issue did J.M. Dematteis start in?

I believe it was around issue 90. Give or take a few issues.

Maybe it's nostalgia but the Marvel's team books during the early 70s were the best of the whole line during that time. Avengers and Defenders were by far the most imaginative and entertaining books Marvel was putting out. ASM came close later with the clone storyline. Just the gold standard of storytelling in my opinion. I read each run again as an adult and the thrill of those stories is still there. Just great storytelling...

And anyone, anyone, who has a beef with Sal Buscema. Just look at his output during this time. He should be considered one of the Marvel greats. Bad inking later in his career has diminished his stature but he was the Marvel standard in the 70s. I'd rank his work among the best of the Marvel 70s artists...

Jim

And don't forget about the Giant-Size issues, as there's some great stuff in there.

The Squadron Sinister skirmish + Yellowjacket + Trish Starr losing her arm story from GS Defenders #4 was a very interesting read from my youth.

103934.jpg.fbee03671885a91426686fe63a1b6131.jpg

The Horror

2z6dyt1.jpg

Look at the quality of art that you would get nearly 40 years ago on a cover. Just amazing. The detail, quality foreshortening, the coloring...look at the detail taken to do Xemnu's fingers...that's artwork of the highest caliber, right there. For as long as I can remember I've had a fascination with this cover.

Just awesome!