• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im terrified to submit books for grading.

62 posts in this topic

So you can get 20% off through Matt or your Local Comic Book merchant? Or do you save more by dropping them off at a Con and pay shipping cost on returns?

Only if the merchant passes on the 20% discount. They don't really have an obligation to do so of course. Some do and some don't.

On site grading is much more expensive in order to cover their costs for bringing their show on the road.

The grader claimed it was a 5.0 to 5.5. And the book came back a 7.0. Of course, I'm not complaining, but I wouldln't think an expert grader could be so far off the mark. The book in question was "It's Game Time 1" a very rare book in that grade. Anyway, just some thoughts!

SLR

Very difficult to grade many books properly at a show vs. in a grading room. Lighting is different. I buy 1000's of books at shows and when I bring them home to inspect them under a light that I am comfortable with, many books look completely different. Some better, and some worse.

Excellent point. Lighting conditions are critical, and a person's eyesight can vary a lot due to that.