• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool DREDD news.

8 posts in this topic

A bunch happend on the Dredd front while I was in the ''Phantom Zone''

First up...

'Dredd' pre-sale deal tops Toronto

IM Global lands +$30 mil in foreign pre-sales for pic

The big money in Toronto is on "Dredd," the 3D comicbook adaptation that Stuart Ford's sales company IM Global has sold around the world for more than $30 million in foreign commitments. Brisk pre-sales for DNA's $45 million pic, which Pete Travis is skedded to lense in South Africa in November, are reflective of a shifting Toronto.

The festival has always been a launchpad for finished product, and isn't officially a sales market. Yet it's now looking like a venue for the type of significant pre-sales usually seen at the AFM in the fall. IM Global is among the companies fielding titles with worldwide commercial potential, working out of the luxe presidential suite atop the Hyatt Regency, the new fest host hotel.

The deals for "Dredd," launched at Toronto, rep the biggest overall numbers at the fest so far, whether domestic or foreign. Pic is financed by IM Global and parent company Reliance Big Entertainment. Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby star in the gritty, realistic adaptation. In five days, IM Global has sold the pic to a raft of major territories including Universum for Germany; Aurum for Spain; Icon for Australia; Alliance for Canada and CP Media for Russia. Other sales include eOne for Benelux, IDC for Latin America and Svensk for Scandinavia.

Over the weekend, IM Global struck a hefty $7 million deal for the futuristic pic with Blighty distrib Entertainment. U.S. buyers likewise are circling "Dredd" and a domestic deal is expected to be closed within the week.

IM Global also has seen substantial pre-sale business for Barry Levinson's sci-fi title "The Bay" at the fest. Pic has secured a slew of major territory deals including Momentum in the U.K., ARP in France, Koch Media in Germany and Aurum in Spain.

Ford's decision to come to Toronto this year and treat the fest as a trading market means "Dredd," penned by Alex Garland ("Never Let Me Go"), has sold to 90% of the world here at the fest.

It really sounds like they are expecting this movie to make some big bucks at the box-office :wishluck:

Second thing is Psi-Judge Anderson has been cast and she's not blonde?...

LONDON -- Olivia Thirlby has been cast as Cassandra Anderson in DNA Films' 3D adaptation of "Judge Dredd."

Thirlby, best known for playing the best friend of Ellen Page's preggo character in "Juno," will star opposite Karl Urban's Dredd ("Star Trek," "Doom") in the futuristic action pic. She will play the telepathic rookie who shadows Dredd.

Read more: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118023709.html?categoryId=19&cs=1#ixzz107ro0JRz

Visit Variety.com to become a Variety subscriber.

I don't think the producers realise that making this 3-D could very well turn some people off. :P

Why? It could be a pretty cool experience. They are even looking to issue special equipment to audience attendees to give them a feeling like they are in the movie.

robocross.jpg

Every time Dredd throws a punch, you'll really feel it.

I don't think the producers realise that making this 3-D could very well turn some people off. :P

Why? It could be a pretty cool experience. They are even looking to issue special equipment to audience attendees to give them a feeling like they are in the movie.

robocross.jpg

Every time Dredd throws a punch, you'll really feel it.

well lets pray the dark judges aren't in it. I think I can survive a bat but not a hand through my chest or being set on fire.

well lets pray the dark judges aren't in it. I think I can survive a bat but not a hand through my chest or being set on fire.

They're working on it, but trying to figure out how to get movie theaters to hide these under each attendee's seat to help with the sensearound effect.

flame1.jpg