• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Character Evolvement.

43 posts in this topic

I was thinking earlier about how characters have evolved since they first appeared, and how some of them have changed dramatically over time. The one that fascinated me most was Iron Man, the evolution of that suit from the old clunky armour in TOS #39 to the sleek design in today's books. At some point in the future I'd love to read some Iron Man books, maybe pick up trades and read about how it advances over the years as I've only ever seen a few different shots in pictures on the net.

I have no idea about Tony Stark as a character, what I've read of Iron Man is minimal at best, it's the evolvement of that suit that draws me in.

So what characters' evolvement do you find the most interesting and why?

I liked what they did with Nova. Merging him with the WorldMind, and updating his outfit. they got him out of that 80's garb. I feel like he was on "What Not to Wear."

But I don't like what that did with Iceman.

Green Arrow, if I'm not mistaken, changed quite a bit from Golden Age to Modern Age. I haven't read anything GA with him in it, but Modern Green Arrow is one of my favorites and I think I remember hearing he underwent a "personality change" of sorts.

Edit: Or were you speaking about costume/uniform changes only?

Or were you speaking about costume/uniform changes only?

Nope, whatever it is that intrigues you, from characters who were introduced in any age. Green Lantern is another that interests me, mainly the transition from the Golden Age GL to modern day.

I have no idea about Tony Stark as a character, what I've read of Iron Man is minimal at best, it's the evolvement of that suit that draws me in.

I really think you'd like the direction they are taking their character development in.

(thumbs u

ironman_helmet_1.jpg

I always liked Magneto's character development.

From the bland run-of-the-mill bad guy in X Men # 1 to his regret when he thought he'd killed the young Kitty Pryde to his revelation of having survived the concentration camps of WW2. His joining the X Men and mentoring the New Mutants was great to read as was his ultimate seperation from them.

Then during the 90's it seemed like the writers at Marvel couldn't decide or agree, what his personality should be. There's been a bit more consistency in recent years and he's back with the X Men again however it's not with a desire to "reform" but to help the mutant race survive.

Any of the X-Men.

These days they seem to change powers / teams / agendas on an almost daily basis.

All except Wolverine who has always been on every team ever created in the Marvel Universe.

I hear in an upcoming story Wolverine gets so drunk that he eats the cosmic cube, but because you can't kill him he it out and it becomes a new villain that takes over the universe.

Any of the X-Men.

These days they seem to change powers / teams / agendas on an almost daily basis.

All except Wolverine who has always been on every team ever created in the Marvel Universe.

I hear in an upcoming story Wolverine gets so drunk that he eats the cosmic cube, but because you can't kill him he it out and it becomes a new villain that takes over the universe.

Sweet! Will Deadpool be in the story? :wishluck:

Any of the X-Men.

Sweet! Will Deadpool be in the story? :wishluck:

Much like John Voight has been in every movie ever made, so has Deadpool been in every comic ever made. Even FF #1.

From the bland run-of-the-mill bad guy in X Men # 1 to his regret when he thought he'd killed the young Kitty Pryde to his revelation of having survived the concentration camps of WW2. His joining the X Men and mentoring the New Mutants was great to read as was his ultimate seperation from them.

Then during the 90's it seemed like the writers at Marvel couldn't decide or agree, what his personality should be. There's been a bit more consistency in recent years and he's back with the X Men again however it's not with a desire to "reform" but to help the mutant race survive.

+1 on that. Magneto's history is quite interesting.

+1 on that. Magneto's history is quite interesting.

+2

He's my favorite villain, mostly because of the nature of his power, but his backstory is interesting as well. I'm not sure I'd agree he was bland from the start, Stan's original concept had Xavier modeled after Martin Luther King and Magneto after Malcolm X. I certainly would agree he got better over time though.