• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC's Shock Illustrated

33 posts in this topic

I am not sure which is scarcer, but I have a Tales of Terror Annual #1, but no Shock Illustrated #3.

Overstreet says that Tales of Terror Annual #1 contained three horror comics and one science fiction comic. This copy has two of each.

tot1.jpg

The colors might be off a bit. My scanner might be due for a replacement.

Here is the breakdown from CBM fanzine #2 Gaines EC File Copies ad by Russ himself:

Shock Illustrated

#1 copy # 7 & 8 from the stash available $160 each.

#2 copy 7 & 8 $160 each

#3 copy # 7 $2,000

No Weird Science Annuals listed as part of the stash unless they were all sold ahead of time. 893whatthe.gif

I am not sure which is scarcer, but I have a Tales of Terror Annual #1, but no Shock Illustrated #3.

Overstreet says that Tales of Terror Annual #1 contained three horror comics and one science fiction comic. This copy has two of each.

tot1.jpg

Wow, that is beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen #1 one before. I had a #2, but yours has such an amazing cover.

hail.gif

Doiby:

If Russ was selling # 7 back then - then there probably were more than 7 file copies. Thanks for the info.

Over the years I searched high and low for the ultimate 1951 Tales of Terror Annual: one with 4 # 1 issues. The copy I sold a few years back was the best I could find. It had 3 # 1's and a # 2. Here were the issues:

Vault of Horror 12

Crypt of Terror 17

Tales from the Crypt 20

Weird Science 13

Don't know if a 4 # 1 copy exists...

BTW, Steve Geppi was the high bidder.

--Gary

tot1.jpg

WHat are the "two of each" stories in that purty thang? grin.gif

WHat are the "two of each" stories in that purty thang? grin.gif

Two science fiction issues and two horror issues. Specifically

Weird Science #14 (3rd issue)

Crypt of Terror #18 (2nd issue)

Weird Fantasy #13 (1st issue)

Haunt of Fear #17 (3rd issue)

Would the inclusion of a #1 issue in an annual make it more valuable? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Geez, the more I look at that cover, the more I think that it's one of the most undervalued comic books around.

Wow!!! I remember that auction. Just got back into collecting ECs at that time and was debating whether or not to go after it aggressively. I do remember it selling for a very solid price! Of course, it will never see the light of day now.

foreheadslap.gif

This was always one of those books that I hated paying a big price for - since it's value was based solely on poor distribution rather than important content.

Wasn't Shock Illustrated # 3 never distributed, but rather hand-bound (rough estimate of 100 copies?) when they couldn't pay the printer, and given out among the EC staff and friends, as they knew the end (except for Mad!) was near?

This was always one of those books that I hated paying a big price for - since it's value was based solely on poor distribution rather than important content.

Wasn't Shock Illustrated # 3 never distributed, but rather hand-bound (rough estimate of 100 copies?) when they couldn't pay the printer, and given out among the EC staff and friends, as they knew the end (except for Mad!) was near?

Yep, Gaines and Feldstein bound the copies themselves and gave them out to their friends. Gaines also socked away a dozen copies for his vault.

That was one of my first eBay auctions. With about 2 minutes left it was going for around $1,100. Every time I refreshed it would go up a hundred dollars or more. It eventually sold for $2,600 or so. I think Forum member "hkp" was a bidder on that book too.