• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey guys, check out my newest GRAIL

129 posts in this topic

But hey, check out the new words that were added this year by the Oxford English Dictionary. It's about time! :eyeroll:

Staycation – a money-saving holiday at home – is an elision of words that caught on immediately.

:whee: Saves money for more comic buy!

Unfriend - coming from the practice of dropping a contact from a Facebook site.

doh!

Tweetup - Has prospered via the practice of organising gatherings through Twitter, using the rhyme with “meet” in the traditional way of creators of new words.

doh!doh!

Jeggings - Comes from the traditional word-marrying school of new terms – mixing jeans and leggings to describe new clothing style.

doh!doh!doh!

Didn't get this bit:

was using sarcasm to make the point that people's definition of grail wasn't what the dictionary meaning was.

Dan

I think he was trying to make the point that a grail traditionally has been something relatively difficult to obtain (not necessarily monetarily) and held in such high esteem once it's acquired that it's not let go of except if absolutely necessary.

Now a grail doesn't necessarily have to be difficult to obtain, that just seems to make people want it more. It could be something that is simply treasured above everything else. Kind of like the Giant Size X-men #1 post in the other thread. Not necessarily a tough book to obtain but holds a special place in that collector's heart.

I think XBOX was being sarcastic towards those people that buy a "grail" one week and flip it the next to search another "grail".

My understand is that finding a grail by definition is a "once in a lifetime" thing.

AK (or COI or XHOTBOX or whatever his name is, was using sarcasm to make the point that people's definition of grail wasn't what the dictionary meaning was.

The interesting thing is every year, the agencies editing and controlling the approved content of every dictionary evaluate not only new words, but also alterations to existing definitions.

:(

Us Virgos are purists.

:sumo:

I think XBOX was being sarcastic towards those people that buy a "grail" one week and flip it the next to search another "grail".

Now those folks really are confusing. Especially if you try and help them out - find the book to surprise them - and you find out that was yesterday's grail.

lol

Now those folks really are confusing. Especially if you try and help them out - find the book to surprise them - and you find out that was yesterday's grail.

lol

Like 25% of the WTB threads?

lol