• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Robin Tec club

201 posts in this topic

dont know why 62 is so tough but Joker looks great on this issue. I truly believe this is his really full first pic on the cover. the 40 looks like Clayface to me or something in between Joker and clayface, never really could tell

Fantastic thread. (worship)

I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, but wanted to wait until I landed a specific book before I did so; so I suppose you beat me to it.

As far as Tec #40 vs. Tec #62...I wondered the same thing for years myself.

The cover is reminiscent of the splash page to the second Joker story from Batman #1, which would almost lead me to believe that his second appearence may have originally been intended to be published in Detective Comics #40.

This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is that if the Joker's first appearence was indeed originally planned to debut in Batman #1, they may have included his second appearence (that may have been scheduled for Tec #40) in addition to the first story because they needed their best material to help sell the debut issue of "Batman".

I imagine that since the Joker has nothing at all to do with the story in Tec #40, they may have changed the inks around so the cover wouldn't appear misleading. Afterall, Joker when wearing his hat did bare some resemblance to Clayface; so why draw an entirely new cover?

I still consider, color scheme or not, Detective Comics #40 to be the first Joker cover appearence. However, there is no question that the cover of Detective Comics #62 reflects the Joker more as we would recognize him today.

For us Kirbiphiles, this is as far back as you need to go.

Yes indeed. This was the first GA Tec I acquired. I was going to stick to the Boy Commandos portion of the run but ended up liking the series so much I've branched out into others a bit (not that I have that many yet) I'll post up a few later.

Another boardie and I were just talking about how great some of the 'Tec covers are. I only have two scanned right now. I'm partial to yellow Catwoman covers:

RAD26F2C2010722_94457.jpg

I guess since we only have Pre this and pre that just felt like starting a thread for the rest of the tecs. Might as well begin with the first Real Joker cover.

FriOct01224422EDT2010.jpg

I've always really liked this one. A real toughie, especially in high grade(or even mid grade).

I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, but wanted to wait until I landed a specific book before I did so; so I suppose you beat me to it.

The cover is reminiscent of the splash page to the second Joker story from Batman #1, which would almost lead me to believe that his second appearence may have originally been intended to be published in Detective Comics #40.

This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is that if the Joker's first appearence was indeed originally planned to debut in Batman #1, they may have included his second appearence (that may have been scheduled for Tec #40) in addition to the first story because they needed their best material to help sell the debut issue of "Batman".

I imagine that since the Joker has nothing at all to do with the story in Tec #40, they may have changed the inks around so the cover wouldn't appear misleading. Afterall, Joker when wearing his hat did bare some resemblance to Clayface; so why draw an entirely new cover?

I still consider, color scheme or not, Detective Comics #40 to be the first Joker cover appearence. However, there is no question that the cover of Detective Comics #62 reflects the Joker more as we would recognize him today.

lol you can't claim all the Bat threads. Well you might be right that the cover for 40 was altered to looksomewhat like Clayface. If you compare the cover to the interior art,who is to say it doesn't look like him.

lol you can't claim all the Bat threads. Well you might be right that the cover for 40 was altered to looksomewhat like Clayface. If you compare the cover to the interior art,who is to say it doesn't look like him.

And back in 1940, was it really that great of a concern for a 10-cent comic anyway? lol

If nothing else, Tec #40 is very unique. The 1st Joker cover and 1st appearence of Clayface all packed into the same hard-to-find issue. :cloud9:

I was Glad just to find a copy even if it is a Good-

Some of these Catwoman covers are great. Maybe down the line..... butnow I'm just trying to stick to Joker covers (for now)

Also love the Joker covers. And Penguin covers don't get enough love. #'s 67 and 171 are two of my favorite covers.

Some of these Catwoman covers are great. Maybe down the line..... butnow I'm just trying to stick to Joker covers (for now)

Also love the Joker covers. And Penguin covers don't get enough love. #'s 67 and 171 are two of my favorite covers.

Penguin covers are funny. The 73 seems to be even tougher than the 62. I never had a 73. And it always seems to go overguide when it comes up for sale.

And back in 1940, was it really that great of a concern for a 10-cent comic anyway? lol

If nothing else, Tec #40 is very unique. The 1st Joker cover and 1st appearence of Clayface all packed into the same hard-to-find issue. :cloud9:

40 isn't too difficult to find just need some good money to purchase one. Seen a few on feebay and there is one on comiclink at the moment.

Penguin covers are funny. The 73 seems to be even tougher than the 62. I never had a 73. And it always seems to go overguide when it comes up for sale.

Yeah, 73 is near impossible to get these days.

And Penguin covers don't get enough love. #'s 67 and 171 are two of my favorite covers.

I really like the Penguin cover with the state birds. (Of course that's a Batman, not a Detective.)

I like that one too. Another scarce book.

dont know why 62 is so tough but Joker looks great on this issue. I truly believe this is his really full first pic on the cover. the 40 looks like Clayface to me or something in between Joker and clayface, never really could tell

Tec 62 without a doubt is the first officially official Joker cover.