• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sentimental value of books….

23 posts in this topic

Remember when the local 7-11 was like a hundred miles away, and you needed a ride to get there?

That one resonates for me. When you're little, a few blocks feels like a long way.

Two anecdotes, each of which I'm sure I've posted before by this point.

Got my first allowance, 25 cents. Walked to the convenience store where I'd seen two-packs of stripped cover (no front cover) comics for a quarter. Took forever to walk down there. Maybe that's the furthest I'd ever walked by myself. Examined everything carefully and made my choice. 26 cents, the clerk said. Because we had 4% Michigan sales tax at the time. I must've looked crushed because he quickly offered to reduce it to 25 cents.

Returned after college and took a look. It was like four blocks away!

Second story--I had the first two issues of Untold Legend of the Batman mini and was digging it. Then realized it had been a long time since I'd purchased issue 2. My god, had I missed issue three? Looked at my two local places for comics, the drugstore and the grocery store. Nothing. Got on my bike and went all the way across town to the final place that sells comics--really felt like a long bike ride. And thankfully they had it. (I'm going to have to dig out my copy and see how trashed it got on the ride home. :) ) The only thing I was happy about with that mini was that the price increased 25% partway through IIRC. Ah, the good old days of newsstand distribution. A bit random!

Cost me more to put it in plastic it than I paid for it.................. :cloud9:

Those days are gone.

But you can't buy this book at any price, not that you would want to. :insane:

Econo Lodge conventions and the Dungeon. Glory days gone bye bye. :banana:

asmos.jpg