• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy &#$% When did CGC start grading lobby cards?!?

20 posts in this topic

ROLA Lobby Cards Auction

What's next posters? That's gonna be some case...

I think they should do as many things as they can manage to do.

The more their business comes from certfying a wide range of collectibles, the more likely it is they can expect to get ongoing business from people wanting to certify things based on actual rarity, because they won't be limited just to comics. I wish them lots of success in that expansion, and wonder if the name will need to evolve at some point, maybe replacing the word comics with collectibles?

Im sorry but, is there a minimum dimension to these that they need to be? Was thinking about making my own sort of backer boards like Neal Adams one above to take to shows to have sketched on and slabbed to keep consistant...thanks and excuse my ignorance if this was discussed or posted.

Five years or so? I forget. They do photographs too...seems like they're trying to do a lot of niche paper collectibles.

CGC has been grading stills for a few years, mostly because of Parino. They started slabbing LCs only recently, with their last Sig auction being the first to feature them

Is Stan Lee giving his version of the Shocker in that 2nd slab? HA

lol!

Well when I took the picture wtih him I asked him to recreate the cover of Amazing Fantasy #15 with me. I told him to be Spider-Man and I'll be holding on him for dear life while he swings though the city.

I had a long phone chat with CGC in July about the lobby cards. This is the result:

The Plastic Case Itself

First, the "case" is nothing like a baseball card's or comic book's thick, hard

case.

It is essentially encapsulation. The lobby card is sealed between two sheets of

archival Barex plastic. It is not laminated and is free within the sealed Barex.

The plastic sheets are about 10-12mil thick each and fairly stiff. They measure

12.5" x 16".

There is a 3 hole punch on the top end if you want to put them in a binder. On

the right short end is the label itself. They can be framed as is and will fit

fine behind a matte board in a frame. The card can be removed by cutting the case open.

The Label

The label contains the following info:

Grade

Title

Date

Studio

Distributor number (such as the NGC 54-127 for example)

Major performers

In the case of a re-release, that is notated and the date is listed as R-19XX,

with a notation to the re-releasing company and also a notation of the original

release date.

Other notations may include some factual info such as the film won an Academy

Award

Restoration

Restored cards get a purple color label.

Restoration is noted as Amateur (A) or Professional (P)

Extent of restoration is designated Slight, Moderate or Extensive

So a card with Slight Professional restoration would get a "Slight (P)"

designation

Graders Notes

Generally graders notes are not generally made. Some notes are used to record an

unusual defect.

What size is the Neal Adams card?

It's a standard comic backboard size, and they told me that would be the maximum size for art.

I asked what was the maximum size for photos and was told nothing larger then 8X10.

thanks for the info. I wanna look into getting so sort of format like the adams card as a blank for shows and have diferent arttists do thier sketches on them instead of blank comic books.....