• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #300 - UPC or Spidey-Head - Let's count!

46 posts in this topic

I also have contempt for people who arrogantly refuse to acknowledge proven, established fact because it doesn't match with "what they remember."

The problem with your "facts" is that they're usually pulled straight out of your butt or are "what some guy wrote in a magazine one time".

There are very few "indisputable facts" in funny book history, but anything you might have read in some fanzine in your research gets categorized as a "fact", when really it's just one fanboy's opinion.

For example, I could read 5 different accounts from 5 different sources, and come up with 5 different sets of people who had a hand in designing/creating something like Spider-man or The Joker - but the *one* you wrote gets cataloged as "fact" when probably no one knows *exactly* what happened.

I think they are so similar in personality that they can't stand each other. hm

Nope, I'm an arrogant SOB with anger management issues, while Rockhead has a real mental illness and is the most argumentative person I've ever encountered. He probably argues with himself every night.

"Why are you getting out a new tube of tooothpaste - there's still some left in the old one... Because I deserve a new tube!... Stop, do you think I'm made of money?... Screw you, I'm doing it!!"

doh!

I also have contempt for people who arrogantly refuse to acknowledge proven, established fact because it doesn't match with "what they remember."

The problem with your "facts" is that they're usually pulled straight out of your butt or are "what some guy wrote in a magazine one time".

There are very few "indisputable facts" in funny book history, but anything you might have read in some fanzine in your research gets categorized as a "fact", when really it's just one fanboy's opinion.

For example, I could read 5 different accounts from 5 different sources, and come up with 5 different sets of people who had a hand in designing/creating something like Spider-man or The Joker - but the *one* you wrote gets cataloged as "fact" when probably no one knows *exactly* what happened.

But we're all supposed to believe you because after all you know all and god help all us breadstick armed nerds if we disagree with the great JC. :screwy:

At least he's attempting to substantiate his "facts". What the hell are you doing? Where's your "proof"?

Dude. JC, have you been in jail or something...?

Oh, JC, you're so full of horsesheist.

Here's an example: if someone says "Batman is selling 55% better than it was 6 months ago", unless they're LYING, that is a FACT. It's not someone's "opinion", it is a fact, verifiable by data.

If an item on eBay, or Heritage, or Comiclink, or Pedigr...well, ok, maybe not them....sells for $XXX.XX, this is a FACT. It is not someone's "opinion."

If there are 47 examples of a specific item listed for sale on the internet, this is a FACT. It is not someone's "opinion", it is fact, verifiable by data.

Your problem is that you think everyone ELSE is too stupid to be able to differentiate between the concept of "verifiable data" and the concept of "opinion" when...in fact...many people, including myself, are quite capable of doing just such a thing.

Here, let me introduce you: CGC giving a 9.6 to your Spidey #129 that you bought for $20 is an OPINION. You selling it for $2,509.23 on eBay is a FACT.

Do you see how that works...?

Yes, dear, but you are forgetting that there are many different facets of a subject that can be discussed, and it depends on what facet you're discussing.

For example, if you're discussing "who created Spiderman", are you talking about whose names are in the credits? Or are you talking about who remembers what from 50 years ago? Credits are facts (in that, at the time, the people involved agreed to the conditions stated therein.) Memories are not. These differences can easily be differentiated, IF NECESSARY, in the discussion.

And, even more, the process of substantiation IMPROVES the ability of opinions to be considered accurate, so that even though it is understood they remain opinions, they gain more credibility in a discussion.

Sorry, but I'm not as namby pamby as you are, and I'm not willing to say there's no such thing as an indisputable fact. There is. And most people understand that.

I don't pull ANYTHING "out of my butt" (OOC quote here I come!)

I state what I state because I've bothered to RESEARCH it, verifying from multiple data sources, and what's opinion is STRONG opinion, and what is fact is DOCUMENTABLE. I don't just rely on my memory (as strong as it is), and I certainly don't rely on yours or anyone else's.

Despite the nonsensical and ridiculous bashing that "what some guy wrote in a magazine one time" has gotten, the fact is, those things were nearly always written AT THE TIME or SHORTLY THEREAFTER, and are thus not subject to the degradation of memory that time invariably takes. If it was valid THEN, it has remained the same. They are FAR, FAR more reliable than someone's dopey memory 20 years after the fact.

Silly boy.

I think they are so similar in personality that they can't stand each other. hm

Nope, I'm an arrogant SOB with anger management issues, while Rockhead has a real mental illness and is the most argumentative person I've ever encountered. He probably argues with himself every night.

"Why are you getting out a new tube of tooothpaste - there's still some left in the old one... Because I deserve a new tube!... Stop, do you think I'm made of money?... Screw you, I'm doing it!!"

doh!

lol

I argue because I think. I argue because I like interacting with people. I argue because I like to sift through ideas, thoughts, and philosophies. I argue because I believe I have something to offer others that they haven't themselves thought of. I argue because I believe others have something to offer me that I haven't thought of myself.

Contrary as it may seem to others, I don't argue "just to argue." I argue because I think about things all...the...time. When people say "take this argument to PMs", I think that's one of the dumbest things anyone could say. That's because I don't argue just to butt heads with someone whose ideas are as set in stone as mine. That's a waste of time. I argue because there are others reading, who may or may not participate, but who will get something out of it, or share something that I hadn't considered (which is always a tremendous bonus.)

I rarely argued until I discovered online message boards. I'm not quick on my feet.

:cloud9:

But mental illness? No, sweetie, not in the slightest.