• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I smell bad?

73 posts in this topic

Why do I see so many eBay auctions with this;

'I only ship to locations in the U.S. '

My money isn't as good as yours?? (shrug)

With the $AU near parity with the Greenback, make the most of the export dollar my American friends!! (thumbs u :applause:

P.S I'm in the mood to buy! (I'm not farking kidding. :devil:)

I think the problem is fee-bay demands tracking. Last time I asked at the USPS only Express mail had tracking out of the US, and they wanted $75.00 to send one slab to Canada.

I can't imagine what is elsewhere.

Some people are gun shy about shipping overseas, probably because of previous issues. Or maybe some folks have heard about problems and don't want to put themselves in the same position. (shrug)

I've sent packages to Europe, Canada, South America (Brazil), Australia, and the Phillipines. I was once scammed by a guy from Brazil and would be very reluctant to do business with anyone from there. I've also heard some real bad things about the Brazilian postal system. Had a package sent to the Phillipines just vanish for a couple months and then miraculously show up there.

Never had a single issue with Australia :applause:

Non-slabbed to Oz is between US$8-9 for one/two comics books. (MileHigh anyone?)

I've had up to five shipped to me using the pre-paid international envelope for US$13. Not once has anything arrived damaged. (After 15 years of having stuff shipped from the USofA! )

My last slabbed cost me US$14 shipping charge. I'm happpy to pay that much for shipping for a slabber!

I think the problem is fee-bay demands tracking. Last time I asked at the USPS only Express mail had tracking out of the US, and they wanted $75.00 to send one slab to Canada.

Non-slabbed to Oz is between US$8-9 for one/two comics books. (MileHigh anyone?)

I've had up to five shipped to me using the pre-paid international envelope for US$13. Not once has anything arrived damaged. (After 15 years of having stuff shipped from the USofA! )

My last slabbed cost me US$14 shipping charge. I'm happpy to pay that much for shipping for a slabber!

The problem is that ebay will NOT protect the seller unless there is a means of tracking. I have been on the phone with them over this as well. I had a bidder from Canada and I had to charge him $26 dollars to ship 6 comics because it required tracking and signature in order for me to be protected. Else, I could have a chargeback including the shipping which is too much of a loss for me when considering that international ship is so costly.

1. Shipping any comics in an envelope to shave costs then leads to potential negative feedback when books arrive damaged.

2. No USA-based USPS international package allows for delivery confirmation/tracking other than Express Mail, which is very expensive (this change took place January 2009).

3. First Class International is super-cheap as long as you keep it under 4 lbs. Please read items 1 & 2, though.

(shrug)

Pretty much what everyone else has said. And from what I've observed, it also does come down to one very important factor - PayPal.

As a seller shipping within the US, it isn't just the economizing factor of shipping with flat rate, but that PayPal recognizes USPS tracking system. If anything goes wrong, and a claim is put in by the buyer, US sellers have less trouble than a Canadian or foreign seller in meeting PayPal's seller protection eligibility.

To get the same hassle-free condition outside of the US (or here in Canada), I'd have to use FedEx or UPS, which isn't economically worthwhile unless you're shipping high value books.

That said, there has recently been a development that may put Canadian sellers on equal footing with US - and that is ExpressPost now offers signature confirmation on packages sent to US destinations. It can be a costly delivery option, but it's still half the price of what FedEx or UPS would charge.

That said, there has recently been a development that may put Canadian sellers on equal footing with US - and that is ExpressPost now offers signature confirmation on packages sent to US destinations. It can be a costly delivery option, but it's still half the price of what FedEx or UPS would charge.

Now that is interesting news!

Now that is interesting news!

I want to say that they'll eventually be offering the same on Expedited (which would be far more economical, especially for Venture One members) but at the moment their website doesn't have the signature option checked, and I don't know if it will ever be offered.

It is a shame how changes in the postal system over the past year or two alone have altered my selling practices (and comfort).

I've sent books to Brazil, Canada, England, Italy, - even Texas ( :insane: ). And I'm just a hobbyist seller. I can only imagine the impact it has had on larger dealers.

Although due to sheer volume, many of the bigger companies must have discount plans setup with their carriers to limit their shipping costs impact.

I sell to anyone who asks, but the only problems I've had were with out of the area shipping. Surprisingly, it's always been Canada,never Australia :baiting:, and shipping to Australia is relatively cheap, but I don't think there is an Australia only option.

So I just tell people to ask.

You may smell bad but that isn't why people won't send you comics. In Canada, I have the same problem but to a lesser degree. Americans find it difficult and time consuming to send us stuff. The Canadian Market is much smaller (10%) of theirs so they don't need the hassle.

EBay and Paypal have caused this, by actively promoting fraud and theft by out-of-country buyers. There are people on EBay right now who have literally hundreds of Paypal disputes on sellers who did not get DC or Sig (due to insane Postal costs). This rampant fraud causes these sellers to later change their practices and ship only to the US.

I always thought that if a buyer makes lots of "non receipt" claims, that EBay or Paypal would see the red flag and step in, or that there was some kind of limit on disputes, but that isn't the case. Some EBay sellers have gotten together and researched blatant abusers, and found buyers who literally push a PP dispute on every single transaction - we're talking into the hundreds in some cases.

And they're STILL active and buying as of today - with a glowing 100% feedback.

The Canadian Market is much smaller (10%) of theirs so they don't need the hassle.

I don't know if I agree with this statement.

I've had more Canadians buying from me on Ebay when I started out a few years ago then I did folks in the USA. Especially with titles like Batman and Detective Comics. I never understood it, but Canadians would bid up my Batman books if they were high-grade copies rapidly.

Even this forum is loaded with Canadian collectors, if that is a decent sample of what is potentially out there for an overall market.

(shrug)

Some sellers are actually starting to post postive feedback, get it in return, then when hit with the dispute, post a "Buyer disputed receipt of item, Paypal refunded 9/30/2010" followup to alert other sellers.

That's why one of the BIG red flags with scammers is that they rarely leave FB, so as not to leave a paper trail.

I sell to anyone who asks, but the only problems I've had were with out of the area shipping. Surprisingly, it's always been Canada,never Australia :baiting:, and shipping to Australia is relatively cheap, but I don't think there is an Australia only option.

So I just tell people to ask.

Ditto. Never had to much problems with price when shipping to Australia but the Canadian government charges me double what it should cost to mail a small package. I have no idea why. (shrug)