• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I smell bad?

73 posts in this topic

[despite the pitfalls of shipping, if a seller doesn't have the presence of mind to make exceptions and/or work on a one-by-one case with buyers that demonstrate a willingness to co-operate, they really don't deserve to be selling on eBay.

I kind of agree, but how are they supposed to do that?

If the seller only ships to the US, then it turns away 99% of interested Canadian buyers (the other 1% may email and beg), while if he leaves it wide open, the scammers and fraudsters will rob him blind.

Here, I'll ship to anyone, although first class shipping is more difficult since you can't print the postage, I do it anyway,because we are all collectors (or most of us).

On eBay,I put it into the auction text, to ask if you want to bid. That way I can review the feedback. I've only turned down one or two people, overall it's fine. I also pay for private insurance, so I can't get too hurt. If you have to pay for insurance overseas on an individual basis, it's very expensive.

The text in your auction is meanless. If the person bids and wins, ebay requires you to sell it. If you don't want to sell internationally, you need to set up your shipping locations properly in your ebay account page. Otherwise, the bid is binding.

I don't think you understand or perhaps I was not clear. I have everyone out of the US blocked, unless they ask and I chose to unblock them. I put a note in my text to ask if they want to bid. It works very well.

Book just ended for $62

I would have paid $200

Plenty of books I would buy from the US, and have missed out on, but seller wouldn't ship to the UK. For every single one I would have paid more than the final auction price.

It's the sellers who miss out because as a buyer I'll get the book eventually.