• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bests Comics of Each Decade

55 posts in this topic

True, most people dont have the stomach for Black Kisse's, shall we say, risque content. I actually kept all my first prints of it. Im surprised nobody has mentioned how good the Adventurers was. Fantastic art and story. Lots of DEATH.... grin.gif

1930s Mickey Mouse Don't laugh. Depression-era Mickey are outstanding comics. Mickey was not the happy-go-lucky mouse who cashed in his Disney stock and lives in Florida. Oh no. He was a seriously down on his luck rodent. Check some out if you have a chance)

1940s Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge.. I can't believe you guys are overlooking these - they still are better than everything published today.

I totally agree. If you haven't read these, DO IT NOW! smile.gif

Guys, here's one for you:

Who is the best comic writer?

With a 1980s and early 1990s backgroud, I would say that anything that Jim Starlin has ever done has been great! His Batman comics (I know, I know, enough with a Death in the Family) were really great and his work on Silver Surfer really grabbed me into comics as a young kid. Fantastic through and through!

I'm also a big Peter David fan. His Incredible Hulk run is quite memorable and I am very proud to say that I have every issue complete.

Thoughts?

Well, if you like a Death in the Family, our tastes are radically different, wink.gif but...

I'd say in the modern era, Denny O'Neil, Steve Englehart, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman are all right up there. Of all time? Harvey Kurtzman, maybe Will Eisner.

Well, after all the kudos about the Fantastic Four issues with Silver Surfer and Doom, I bought the FF Essentials #3 off of Ebay. I got it for $11 postage paid from the following seller. He has a lot of cool stuff for bid, and the prices are reasonable.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=infosales@villagecomics.com&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=200

YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS!!!!! THIS IS MY LOCAL COMIC BOOK SHOP THAT DIDN'T HAVE A COPY WHEN I CALLED AT 5:30PM!!!!!!!!!!

This is a fun store that I patronize all the time because they have tons of trades and give 25% off for one and 50% off for three, unless it is a "new" TPB . . .

DAM

No they'll have it. I used to watch their auctions closely because I thought that if I can get it for cheap I can literally just walk over and pick up the book. Tried to get some Batman Archives actually that they were selling on ebay for $27 but wouldn't let me pick it up unless I paid $30 (which is there normal retail price). I don't get it either.

Maybe they weren't expecting such a quick shipment and will ship it on Monday/Tuesday when the rest come in? wink.gif

They are a good shop for trades, that and ebay id: "silk622". Silk622 is my old local comic book shop. Really great guy runs the store and anything advertized is in stock.

Yeah, I got book from those jokers at villagecomics. Book was fine and price was right (13.95 BIN for most recent Bullets TPB), but thing that pissed me off is they didn't leave me any feedback at all, despite my emails and the positive feedback that I left). Now, back to topic.....

Best writer is Stan Lee, hands down. I would say old Miller is very good, Moore is outstanding. I also enjoyed the Peter David run on Hulk. I guess my favorite "modern" writer would be either Ennis or Azzarello (Both had good runs on Hellblazer, but I would give Ennis the edge there). Azzarello rules on 100 Bullets.

Chris