• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Comic suppliers are the best and grade accurately?

39 posts in this topic

I would like to help you if I can, so tell me what you are looking for Golden Age? Silver Age? Bronze Age? Modern? What types of books are you looking for War, Western, Super-Hero etc.? Are you looking more for individual issues or do you want large runs? What grades are you interested in F, VF, NM? Are you looking for Raw books or CGC graded books or both?

If you can give good answers to these questions, then if I can't come up with the resources, I'm positive someone around here can. There are some very informed people around here, more informed than me.

MOS.........you are da man. Right now, I'm just starting off pretty slow. I'm putting together a hodge podge collection of the first comics my brother and I owned as a kid........they were the ones that meant the most to us and got me started in this great hobby.

They were mostly Super-Hero issues from the early to mid 70's and a couple from the 60's. I'm going for high grade NM minus or better copies if I can locate them. It was actually just a small stack/collection of different books with no runs. Maybe only one or two books of a particular title.

My biggest problem is that my memory faded a little bit after 20 to 25 years of not collecting. I can remember some of the books I'm looking for but not all of them. The thousands of books I purchased later on in my youth has clouded my memory as well. I'm going to get with my older brother back home over Christmas so we can pull out the old collection and go through them. That way, when I come back after the new year, I'll know exactly which issues to hunt down. smile.gif

If you're still up for it then, I'll take you up on your offer to help. grin.gif

A few quick recommendations of guys I have been pleased with, although I didn' t buy NM/M stuff. Good for some mid grade books:

Ebay:

gdcomics

cartooncomics

Stores:

Graham Crackers (although I hear these guys are great and would consider giving them more business, especially for the high grade stuff)

Koops Comics (kisa2@radix.net)

Good luck!

I think we've done this before, but:

drbanner

FlyingDonut

loisandclark

Red Beard (only bought from him once - but good stuff)

Darthdeisel

I bought waaayyy too many books earlier this year to remember the crappy graders, but there are a bunch! I now only stick with those I know grade un-slabbed books like the sellers above.

Joe Nacca from goldenage.com is inconsistent. I think you get good books if he has a lot to choos from and poor grading if he's getting low on supply.

Doug Sulipa is a good fellow to deal with. An excellent grader & the guy's got everything. Email a want list to him with desired grades. He'll reply quickly & accepts returns. He gets an "A" in my book. You gotta love his detailed market reports in the big guide & CBM too.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

If you say so. I can't wait for the little runt's response!

So did my NM Wonder Woman exhibit hidden production creases on the back cover? Ya greggy ... my grading may not be the best out there, but as long as it is better than yours, I'm happy tongue.gif

You know I love you Darth. Not in the way that you would like but nonetheless! wink.gif Yes, the Wonder Woman was every bit the NM/M that you gave it. Don't go hating your Defenders 1. I didn't grade it! frown.gif

I'm surprised that you mentioned Amazing Comics. I used to live a couple of towns over from his store. Haven't been there in years, but the place is about the size of my spare bathroom. I have been there numerous times and he never had any books to brag about. He always had to let you know he was an advisor to Overstreet whenever you walked into the place.

I would agree with the mention of Doug's Comic World. He's an incredible guy. I was looking for some books, for which he spent a couple months looking for..and even gave me the name and number of a couple guys he knew who had some of the books. I would buy from him in a second.

The other thing I wanted to say is if anyone is looking for mid grade books. Gary Dolgoff is great, his website is just full of mid-grade stuff.

Brian

Re: Dolgoff - If you're ever in the Northhampton, MA area (and you should go, if for no other reason that there's about 15 womens colleges up there, but I digress), go to Dolgoff's warehouse. It is the most amazing thing you'll ever see. Hundreds of thousands of comics. In piles. All over the place. Nobody has any idea what's there. Just amazing.