• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vuescan

22 posts in this topic

Like a lot of folks, I've got an advanced laptop with Windows 7 that no longer supports the scanner I use. HP no longer produces the necessary drivers and I am forced to use the general purpose driver through Windows Photo Gallery.

I caught a mention of Vuescan on the Legal Scanner Blues thread and deceided to check it out. It looked pretty good so I bought the full version.

It probably saves me 50% of my time in scanning and even more in modifying the scans for uploading to Photobucket.

I'm just posting this as a PSA since so many folks have been frustrated by scanning slabs AND I DID A SEARCH and found the program had only been mentioned three times in the last year.

Yup, I tested it out and will be buying it shortly when my next batch of CGC arrives.

The test scans were WAY faster than the slow HP software.

It also shows the scans right after I scan them rather than all showing up in a folder when I close the current scanner program. I'm able to identify any problems right away rather than at the end.

:banana:

The HP scanning software for my model (8250) includes features which vuescan doesn't. The "extreme" setting in the HP software alone makes it worthwhile when using scans, as it captures a clearer, better scan of the slab than through generic scanning software either offered through Windows or 3rd-party vendors.

As a matter of fact, I don't find the HP scanning software at all troublesome (shrug)

I'm just posting this as a PSA since so many folks have been frustrated by scanning slabs AND I DID A SEARCH and found the program had only been mentioned three times in the last year.

You should have PMd cheetah about it. Apparently you don't need to use the search function as he is the "go-to" guy for everything.

That's what Sal said, anyway.

(shrug)

It also shows the scans right after I scan them rather than all showing up in a folder when I close the current scanner program. I'm able to identify any problems right away rather than at the end.

Can't you preview your scans before you finally scan them or is the preview window too small?

I simply use the Scanner and Camera wizard with my HP scanner it seems to work great.

HP software has that option, doofosarous. :makepoint:

Not for the HP 8300. Try buying an expensive one and you'll find out the limitations, azzhole.

Can't you preview your scans before you finally scan them or is the preview window too small?

I simply use the Scanner and Camera wizard with my HP scanner it seems to work great.

Just because it previews one way doesn't mean that there won't be issues with the output.

Not for the HP 8300. Try buying an expensive one and you'll find out the limitations, azzhole.

So, if the less expensive models have more options, then why buy a more expensive one in the first place?

So, if the less expensive models have more options, then why buy a more expensive one in the first place?

Legal size hm

Of course, legal size scanners are generally geared towards photographers and not comic people.

Legal size hm

Of course, legal size scanners are generally geared towards photographers and not comic people.

I thought they were geared towards lawyers?

Legal size hm

Mine is legal size, geekus maximus.

I saw the legal scan thread too and tried the vuescan. Says it supports my Umax astra 2200 in their list but after a few hours of trying it failed to work.

Time for a new scanner/printer combo for me. I dont need legal cgc slab size but any recommendations for a cheap scanner/printer setup would be cool. Seems scanner beds for quality are hit and miss but I want good scans for my comics and could care less about the printing features since I only print letters and such.

To bad too since I really liked my umax astra 2200 since did crisp scans.

Legal size hm

I thought they were geared towards lawyers?

The majority of lawyers are photographers out West, apparently.

:insane: