• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Stamps Mystery

43 posts in this topic

And if the artist(s) copied images from published drawings of the characters, where did he find a spider-man picture with eyes like that?

Kirby, possibly from ST Annual 2. He never could draw Spider-man's mask properly.

Bluechip.. why do they need to be exact copies? Rarely does an artist make perfect copies of anything, even when trying to. These are just John Verpoorton's interpretation

Pardon me.. I mean Monet's interpretations.. in his pre-water lilies period

:whistle:

And if the artist(s) copied images from published drawings of the characters, where did he find a spider-man picture with eyes like that?

Kirby, possibly from ST Annual 2. He never could draw Spider-man's mask properly.

Bluechip.. why do they need to be exact copies? Rarely does an artist make perfect copies of anything, even when trying to. These are just John Verpoorton's interpretation

I didn't mean to imply they would or should be exact copies. I just wondered about the spiderman drawing because the eyes are so off it's as if the artist hadn't seen Ditko's version. But of course as pointed out Kirby and some other marvel artists sometimes drew spidey as if they hadn't seen ditko's version, especially in regards to the webs. And I remember there were some early house ads for Spidey in which the eyes were off. (in fact I think ASM 1 had an example of a strangely drawn spidey asking readers to send in letters)

I understand people ragging on the art, but the sad fact is Marvel sometimes did use art as bad as those stamps and sometimes worse. I am no artist but some of those house ads for MMMS items had drawings that looked about as polished as the drawings I did of the Marvel gang for my school paper.

Another extraordinarily interesting thread. I think everyone who wasn't around back them (or forgot about it) should give this a read.