• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC SS - UK Programme

24 posts in this topic

As far as I know there isn't and won't be anytime in the future :(

This discussion has happened a couple of times in the time I have been on here and it never ends positively for us brits

WTTB It's good to see another Brit on here (thumbs u

It's good to see I am not alone on this one, but I mean it's fair that you can submit CGC's but you can't get CGC SS. I have a few that I would like to get CGC SS'd and without even the intention of selling. Just something that I know is official that makes it official, but without any CGC employees in the UK it's impossible. I mean, couldn't they get one of the bigger UK companies to do that. I bet they would jump at the opportunity.

If I remember correctly there is a legality that prevents non-US witnesses obtaining signatures for Signature Series designation. I could be wrong, but I think it was something that could be overcome fairly easily. But it's definitely not high on CGC's agenda, and as Gaz said, it won't be in the forseeable future either.

And welcome to the boards, always good to see another limey. As long as it's not Freddie again.

If someone would like to step up with a planned event then maybe?? Keep me in the loop and I could provide some volume to help CGC consider it. (thumbs u

US witnesses have come to Blighty before now Jeff, it's not impossible to get sigs over here. But the creators that could be reached on a regular basis by having UK-based witnesses would be fantastic.

Well I am very new to collecting. I started collecting after a few years of only collecting from some shops in Portugal. I would never ever suggest myself to do something of the sort. I was thinking more along the lines of people that have comic shops here in the UK and take regular comic book submissions for CGC. I have never been to a comic event myself. The closest would have been in Portugal for Free Comic Book Day. Hooray...

I am a newbie myself, but I wouldn't mind thinking about it. It would be a matter of speaking with other board members that are from the UK and are interested in traveling to these conventions to see what could possibly be arranged.

And I also thought that witnesses are no longer allowed but actually someone that works for the CGC, either part-time or full-time.

Where are you guys from?

I'm from Norfolk by the way.

Thanks for the welcome.

PS: Who's Freddie?

I am a newbie myself, but I wouldn't mind thinking about it. It would be a matter of speaking with other board members that are from the UK and are interested in traveling to these conventions to see what could possibly be arranged.

Unless you get US CAWs or CGC employees over here it won't happen. Pointless even thinking about it.

And I also thought that witnesses are no longer allowed but actually someone that works for the CGC, either part-time or full-time.

In a roundabout way yes.

Where are you guys from?

I'm from Norfolk by the way.

Thanks for the welcome.

The Midlands. And you're welcome.

PS: Who's Freddie?

You don't want to know.

US CAWS? and why couldn't it be possible to have CGC employee's over here? I am not saying that we should slab anything per se, but we could fill the papers of whatever, state who signed date, and ship it off. I'm not saying I could do it, I am obviously saying that people in the UK could do something like that, but someone that would be considered trustworthy.

CGC will not have employees based in Britain if that's what you're getting at. If you mean for them to travel over here to shows then yes they would if it was worth their while.

There will be no UK based CAWs in the forseeable future.

How come? And what would be necessary for them to be worth their while? Like I stated, I am new, in the whole comic scene, what sort of conventions do the UK have that are worth their while?

Edit:

And what are CAW's?

How come? And what would be necessary for them to be worth their while? Like I stated, I am new, in the whole comic scene, what sort of conventions do the UK have that are worth their while?

Edit:

And what are CAW's?

Contract Authorised Witnesses. Temporary CGC employees who are authorised to obtain witnessed signatures to be valid for Signature Series designation. All the info is aorund here somewhere, I'm just too pissed to find it.

To make it worth CGC's time and effort there would have to be literally hundreds of books subbed for SS. BICS and Bristol are probably the only two shows that would get anywhere near enough.

I think CGC would have been perfect for Thought Bubble (Leeds)... This year they had, John Romita Jr, Sean Phillips, Duncan Fegredo, Adi Granov, Paul Cornel, Andy Diggle, Barry Kitson, Tony Harris, and a bunch of other people... would have been awesome for CGC to be there :(

Edit:

And what are CAW's?

Contract Authorised Witnesses. Temporary CGC employees who are authorised to obtain witnessed signatures to be valid for Signature Series designation. All the info is aorund here somewhere, I'm just too pissed to find it.

To make it worth CGC's time and effort there would have to be literally hundreds of books subbed for SS. BICS and Bristol are probably the only two shows that would get anywhere near enough.

I am kinda happy no CGC SS at UK events for two reasons:

1) you guys call soccer by the wrong name :baiting:

2) all my money would go to Charlie Adlard CGC SS :insane:

Seriously why not have some of the more established UK board members as witnesses?

I do not see any difference then board members as CAWs at comic cons in the states that CGC doesnt attend like Baltimore Comic Con.

I have dealt a lot with Gary, Gav and Lloyd and know they would do a great jobs being CAWs. (thumbs u

Hear hear!

And it's football mate :P

And I do agree some of the more estabilished board members as witnesses. They could even take a mini-test or something I don't know. Something that would validate them as being capable of performing such duties.

It would be great.

The problem would be one of verification. SS is all about authenticity, I don't know how you become a CAW in america, but I wouldn't employ someone in America to do something like this that I have not met or can be sure that they are who they say they are here on the boards. I agree with almost everything said on here but I can see why they are unwilling to pursue. Having said that if some of the well respected UK collectors/dealers/aficionados wanted to get this done or vouch for others then I don't see why not

I agree with what you said regarding the authentication, but then again how can they really trust anyone if you would think about it. But I do believe that the way forward would be someone with more time and that is a collector would apply to be a submitting agent. However I am not really sure how they would go about with it. And I do think that are right regarding the dealers that usually go to comic conventions. As I said before I am not aware of the comic dealers that go to comic conventions here in the UK, however some of the more experienced board members that have experience with dealers. The only ones I know are the ones that I usually buy from eBay and I'm not really on a first name basis with them.

Once more. There is a legality that prevents CGC hiring UK nationals to work in the UK.anyone outside NA.

From what i understand it lies in the inability to legally hold a non-NA witness to accountability in the event of fraud.