• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VERY LIMITED Jae Lee Signature Series sketch cover opportunity!

53 posts in this topic

I was told simple sketch, so assume quick, and hope for detail.

I haven't paid for any sketches, so take this question with a grain of salt. Isn't $250 for a simple, quick head sketch an outrageous price to charge? (shrug)

It really depends on how you look at it, but in this case of Jae Lee, he is a very tough artist to get a sketch from as he never does shows and is not known to do sketches on blanks so I'm sure anyone that's a fan would have no problem paying this just because an opp like this does not happen often. But if you are unfamiliar with how tough it is to get a sketch from him or have no interest in getting a sketch from him, then yes, it would definitely appear outrageous.

I won't pay what J Scott Campbell charges to sketch because they are not detailed. That is not a dig at JSC, just my opinion. He does a ton of shows and his sketches are not worth the bread to me. But to lots of people they are. To me even a quick Jae Lee is worth it because he is reclusive and awesome. We'll see whether it works out or not, but I am stoked for the opportunity.

I was told simple sketch, so assume quick, and hope for detail.

I haven't paid for any sketches, so take this question with a grain of salt. Isn't $250 for a simple, quick head sketch an outrageous price to charge? (shrug)

Jae lee has only attended 3 conventions in the past 5 years.

One was the first new york comic-con. He did a signing and sketch session during the retailer part of the convention before the show opened on friday. Sketches were 100.00 5 years ago for a simple head sketch. And that was only open to dealers/retailers. As I remember his simple head sketches were actually very nice.

The second was the second new york comic-con as part of the release for the dark tower. He signed for one hour with the Dark Tower crew (Dark towers only) 3 items per person no sketches.

The Third was the 2009 Las Vegas Diamond Retailer Summit (Once again this was only open to retailers) I believe he did one sketch for Joel Elad because joel paid 200 to the CBLDF.

So no 250 really isn't that expensive. Infact everybody should be grateful to Brian for making this and the John Cassady Sketch sessions possible. These guys barely attend conventions and even when they do they don't really sketch.

Since I have a little knowledge in the Dark Tower world. I am very grateful to get in on this opp. Jae hasn't done much in the way of work lately except cover art, to my knowledge. I would have been just as happy with a regular signing to fill in some DT books I've been holding on to for going on 4 years.

Also on a side note it's Jae Lee his work is always detailed it's how he draws.Even his rush work on the DT is great art. Just my 2c.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just seen a lot of other opportunities where the artist will do a full body sketch for under $200, so I thought a quick head sketch for $250 was pretty high.

That's just the thing. Art is incredibly subjective. Every piece, every artist, is unique. It's hard to compare what two different people charge.

One guy might do every convention and be open to sketch all the time. Other guys might never do a show, and might never take a commission. Their prices will vary.

Some guys are so booked that getting them to do anything will be difficult and more expensive just to get that artist to commit to set aside that time.

I've commissioned over a hundred different artists over the 20 years I have collected OA, there's no reasonable, rational way to logically pigeon hole value and price, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I do have to say one thing, that the offerings that Brian has brought to us are very difficult artists to get sketches from. The kind of ingenuity he's displayed to get this done, along with other recent hard to get artists, is the kind great work that does the SS program proud,

It's also a great indication of Brian's professionalism in getting something done that almost no one else has been able to do. He's trusted by some folks that rarely trust anyone.

Well Done Brian. (And NO I was not in on any of his recent signings, this is an honest (untainted) evaluation.)

Hush your mouth. BK is the devil, I tell you, THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!

Why you gotta shout, SHOUT, shout, SHOUT AT THE DEVIL?!?!