• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loud Mouth Comic Artist

24 posts in this topic

Sorry for the long post, but I just had a HORRIBLE experience with a well-known "high profile" comic artist this past weekend.

I won't give names in case that person, or anyone affiliated with him, reads this, and I sure as hell don’t want it to become “news” over at BleedingCool.com (no offense to Rich). This artist is well-known for having a “mouth”, and has been vocal with his opinions in the recent months.

Now that we got that out of the way…

So this artist, along with ANOTHER high-profile artist who is WAY nicer, was at my local comic shop signing comics and doing sketches. The request for sketches literally came at a price – a donation to the HERO fund. Lots of people were asking for sketches, and they all contributed to the fund. Both of these artists are local (for the most part) to my community, and I have had personal and pleasant chats with them many times apart from the book signing events (One time, the nice artist once called out to me in a movie theatre just to say “hi” which blew me away). When it was my turn for a sketch, I asked for a “mash-up” where each artist draws a/the character they are well-known for facing off each other (I won’t say the characters because it will give their identities away). They asked me to make a donation, and they both saw I contributed $20 (other people were forking over an average of $5-$10) and the sketch came out really well. I was really pleased. I thanked both of them, and they were polite back.

[First, the back-story….]

A few months ago, I purchased a piece of original art off CAF from a member, and in our chats he mentions he’s a huge fan of the artist in question. I was so happy with my purchase that I told him the next time I saw this artist at a signing, I would attempt to get a sketch for him.

[Flash-forward to now…]

After I got my sketch, I remembered about the promise I made months ago. I go BACK to the end of the line, and wait my turn again. While waiting, I am having great conversations with other people in the store, I was chatting with the owner, I was watching the artists make their magic. It was a great time. The guy ahead of me was doing the same thing – he already had a sketch done, but was going back for more. The guy ahead of me explained to the artists if they would mind doing another sketch in honour of his two toddler boys (to give to them when they were older) and he would happily make a another donation to HERO. The artists graciously agreed. When it was my turn again, I had my sketchbook ready, WITH MONEY IN HAND AND IN PLAIN SIGHT to make another donation, and when I asked the artist if he could do another sketch, and before I even finished asking, he blurts out at the top of his lungs “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” At first, I chuckled and proceeded to wait for the punch line. But no punch line came. When I attempted to ask again, again he interrupted me before I could finish my sentence with “NOW YOU’RE JUST BEING GREEDY”. Still waiting for the punch line, I said to him “Seriously?” When I attempted to get him to clarify, he turns his head and starts talking to the other artist and pretends I wasn’t even there. I’m standing there thinking “WTF just happened?”. I stood there what felt like forever when finally the shop owner says to me “Were closing up now”. I looked at the owner and said “You mean ‘get out’ don’t you?” to which he replies “Yeah”.

I still have NO IDEA what I did wrong, IF I did anything wrong.

- I waited patiently

- I made a donation to the HERO fund

- I was gracious

- I had an established report with the artist

Now, for the dirty laundry…

While people were waiting for sketches and signatures, this artist was sharing stories out loud. Stories about the industry, his convention experiences, other artists, etc., most of which was NOT on a professional level (albeit, funny as hell). He was very vocal about how stupid/useless editors are. At one point he posted the question out loud: “Do you know how editors get their jobs in the comic industry?” (he then makes a fellatio gesture with his hand and mouth). He even told one story out loud about how he berated a fan at a convention and how proud he was of it (No, it’s not John Byrne that I’m talking about).

Needless to say, I am very pi$$ed off, and I have no idea what to do next. Do I contact my shop owner? The next time I go into his shop, do I pretend nothing happened? Do I email the shop owner first? Do I email the artist? Or do I simply take my business [of 15 years] elsewhere even though the shop owner had nothing to do about the situation?

Sorry this happened to you. It had to be very uncomfortable.

I would just call up your shop owner and explain to him your intent on getting the extra sketch, and that you were more than willing to donate more to the Hero fund.

I think as long as he understands the situation he should have no reason to be upset with you. 2c

don't take your business elsewhere. its not the shop owner's fault that this guy was a .

He jumped at conclusions and thought you were being greedy - he probably sees it all the time. Did you try to explain it was for a friend? Even so he's probably heard that a thousand times.

Don't sweat it. So the guy was an azz. You feel strongly about it so go ahead and email the artist if you want. You can tell the shop owner if you want but don't make it his problem. He really had nothing to do with it.

I won't give names in case that person, or anyone affiliated with him, reads this, and I sure as hell don’t want it to become “news”.

Not very good at hiding identities: I read the title, I saw your location. 2+2.

I understand the guy in front of you received 2 sketches, but perhaps not everyone at the event needed two? Were there other people in line? Perhaps if the donation was larger on your initial trip through the line; I'm sure there was no recommended minimum but I've never given less than $50 for a sketch at a HERO event. Per artist/sketch.

If you know the creator was well as you think you do, perhaps you could have anticipated such a reaction.

So, should you do anything? No. It's not like the shop owner will not have the creator back again, perceived bad behaviour or not. Having an artist of that caliber in a town such as that is a blessing for a comic shop. Did you want an apology? You'll never get one, mainly because he wasn't in the wrong, from his perspective or mine.

I won't give names in case that person, or anyone affiliated with him, reads this, and I sure as hell don’t want it to become “news”.

Not very good at hiding identities: I read the title, I saw your location. 2+2.

Wrong....they are on the METRIC SYSTEM!!! rantrant

:ohnoez::whee::ohnoez:

about 15 years ago, when Darwyn Cooke was a customer of mine, I sold him a piece of art for about $1000 or $1200 at SDCC. I took his check, as always, and yes.. what you're thinking is correct.. his check bounced. I never had a problem with Darwyn previously, so naturally I just figured he had a little trouble, I called him.. and he promised he would take care of the issue.

It was the beginning of months of "the check is in the mail"

I called him numerous times and after a while, he stopped answering the phone.

I finally got tired of it and knowing that he worked under Bruce Timm at WB, I finally called the office and left a couple messages. The third time I called, the secretary transferred me to Bruce - who up until that time, was a customer and semi-friend. Bruce wanted to know why I was bothering Darwyn at work and I explained the situation. Bruce was fairly indignant that I was "creating trouble", which of course, I was not. I just wanted my money and Darwyn was being a complete POS. Soon after, I did indeed get my money. No apology, no nothing

However, since then, Bruce no longer talks to me, as if it was my fault I had to take the drastic step of calling Darwyn at work. I didn't tell anyone what I was calling about of course (except Bruce when he asked me) as it was a private issue.

You really can't win sometimes. Darwyn, in my humble opinion, is a POS, and I'm not surprised.

What happened to you Murray just sucks. I've never had an experience like that with an artist but, god damn that would some humiliating shi* to happen to you in your LCS. Pretty easy to picture that scene too, if you've ever been to a signing with those guys.