• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loud Mouth Comic Artist

24 posts in this topic

Brother, if we only collected art by 'nice' artists there might be mighty slim pickens...

(For sure we'd all collect Scott Williams art...)

Look, LOTS of great artists are individual_without_enough_empathys in real life... I know a very famous rock photographer and he said to me 'never meet your idols, you're in for a big disappointment".

I'd forget about it. The store owner won't even remember the incident.

The artist is a loser to speak to anyone, but especially you, a fan, that way. One day he'll be shoveling mess in Alaska and will blame everyone but himself.

Brother, if we only collected art by 'nice' artists there might be mighty slim pickens...

Look, LOTS of great artists are individual_without_enough_empathys in real life... I know a very famous rock photographer and he said to me 'never meet your idols, you're in for a big disappointment".

The artist is a loser to speak to anyone, but especially you, a fan, that way. One day he'll be shoveling mess in Alaska and will blame everyone but himself.

I have to agree with Rob on this for sure

I disagree Lots of great artist are not individual_without_enough_empathys in real life. I have met many of My idols Both rock stars and comic artist.

I have had very pleasant experiences with Todd Mcfarlane, Jim Lee, Jim Steranko, Kevin Eastman, Slash (of guns n roses), Robert Duvall (yes the movie Star), Robert Crumb, Stan Lee, Chris Bachalo, Gahan Wilson, Matt Groening and many more.

The list of people I have had unpleasant experiences with is very small and all of them have reputations for being .

As for Darwyn Cooke he is moody and doesn't really like sketching in public. There have been times when he was very nice to me. But there was one time when he was somewhat mean to me.

Not very good at hiding identities: I read the title, I saw your location. 2+2.

Oh. Well then. Damn :{

I understand the guy in front of you received 2 sketches, but perhaps not everyone at the event needed two?

Nobody ever NEEDS two sketches done. At other events at the store, I've seen people "double-dip", but they always go back to the line first, and ask artists if it's ok - and the artists are always accommodating

Were there other people in line?

The crowd had totally thinned out by the time I was asking for my second sketch, but there were a couple of stragglers behind me who I let go ahead of me after being yelled at.

Perhaps if the donation was larger on your initial trip through the line; I'm sure there was no recommended minimum but I've never given less than $50 for a sketch at a HERO event. Per artist/sketch.

Food for thought. Usually when my LCS has guest artists, there has never been a fee charged much less request for charitable donations (that I've seen - I haven't attended EVERY event my LCS hosted) so it is hard to judge what a sizable donation would have been. The artist would occasionally hold up the tin can donations were going in, shake above his head at the crowd and say "IF you want a sketch done...". When he shook the tin, you could hear coins rattling

If you know the creator was well as you think you do, perhaps you could have anticipated such a reaction.

I suppose. It's not like I was on a first name basis with him, and his reputation precedes him, but JESUS come ON!

So, should you do anything? No. It's not like the shop owner will not have the creator back again, perceived bad behaviour or not. Having an artist of that caliber in a town such as that is a blessing for a comic shop.

I have decided not to say anything unless my LCS owner brings it up. It would be pointless for me to say "I will NEVER buy anything created by that artist again" because that would affect my LCS owner, not the artist. The artist has already been paid by the publisher for his work. Me, or anybody else, not buying anything created by that artist would go completely unnoticed by him.

Did you want an apology? You'll never get one, mainly because he wasn't in the wrong, from his perspective or mine.

I am more interested in an explanation. I am trying to convince myself it was simply a case of mistaken identity, and all will be forgiven. But until then, if I see him in my LCS by some random chance, I will not give him the time of day.

Even putting my personal experience aside, I was never so disgusted by his behavior. He told a lot of great, funny stories, and he's a big fan-boy at heart (he gushes when talking about meeting his heroes like Jim Steranko and such) but he could have chosen his words more carefully when giving his opinions on Publishers, the comic industry, Editors, and even the fans themselves.

One guy asked a legitimate question about how to become an editor, and the artist had nothing but derogatory responses which served no useful purpose.