• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you pay 5% of your profit when you sell your art work

23 posts in this topic

This is insane!

The same thing could be said about and architect or engineer that designs a building (which I would consider an art form, as do most institutions of higher education) and 20 years later that building sells higher?

How about people who build custom bikes or cars?

The list goes on… If I get paid to do “build” or “develop” something in the course of work or a job I have no rights to it after I “sell” that product of my creation… why would an artist be any different?

Any forced financial action will only further promote unannounced backdoor deals, secret cash deals, short invoicing or valuation and an almost a blackmarket trading of artwork. The only way to trace transactions will be through auctions and auction sites, and dealers might put "inquire" on all art pieces instead of prices, which really irks most buyers even today.

I can see passing laws stating that the reproduction rights to a piece of original art is retained by the artist ( and can be sold separately), but once the physical piece itself has been sold, it is the buyers'.

This isn't much different from the situation with most comic art, in which the image bought cannot be marketed by the buyer of the artwork