• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko

82 posts in this topic

Selfish and self centered, screw the fans, it's about me :whee:

In the future, do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

Mr. Ditko is not selfish or self centered. He has a strict moral code and it's not surprising that most people don't understand this in such an amoral society. It is not "about me," it is all about the work. His philosophy is that the work he does speaks for itself and has nothing to do with him personally. He believes that he has given exactly what he wants to give and if you or other fans enjoy it, that's great, but the artist and the art are separate entities. He also believes that once he completes a job that is is done and that he does not want to revisit it. To him it is less about what he has done than what he is doing now.

What a pathetic way of life, this person has issues and should have never been in the comic industry, Marvel should have picked a better artist if this was going to be the outcome. 2c

A pathetic way of life is living an unprincipled and undisciplined life. Even more pathetic is criticizing those that do.

I can shoot off my mouth, that is what a forum is based on...

CORRECTION: A pathetic way of life, e.g. ignoring the outcome of being famous (fans, cons, SS oppor., photos, etc.)NOT his way of life, or his beliefs.

Anyone watch the documentary BBC - Jonathan Ross - In Search of Steve Ditko? It is good. Here is the link there are several parts, this is part one.

Very interesting.

Mr. Ditko is not selfish or self centered. He has a strict moral code and it's not surprising that most people don't understand this in such an amoral society. It is not "about me," it is all about the work. His philosophy is that the work he does speaks for itself and has nothing to do with him personally. He believes that he has given exactly what he wants to give and if you or other fans enjoy it, that's great, but the artist and the art are separate entities. He also believes that once he completes a job that is is done and that he does not want to revisit it. To him it is less about what he has done than what he is doing now.

What a pathetic way of life, this person has issues and should have never been in the comic industry, Marvel should have picked a better artist if this was going to be the outcome. 2c

A pathetic way of life is living an unprincipled and undisciplined life. Even more pathetic is criticizing those that do.

CORRECTION: A pathetic way of life, e.g. ignoring the outcome of being famous (fans, cons, SS oppor., photos, etc.)NOT his way of life, or his beliefs.

At the time, no one ever dreamed that they would be famous, that there would be conventions, that their creations would net millions of dollars, or that anyone would even care who drew what.

The bottom line is that you enjoy the work he did. He produced it, you enjoyed it. End of relationship.

Just like you, do you want people coming by your house and demanding that you make them a burger just whenever? It's what you do, and they liked the burger you made them that day at work, so you owe them don't you? I mean, they paid for that burger earlier, you got paid, now they want more, so you owe them!

Where does this ridiculous sense of entitlement come from in this country?

And I can't believe the hubris and sense of entitlement of some folks who feel like an old man owes them something just because he drew some comic books 45 years ago. rantrant

Maybe Stan Lee should do the same thing? No?

Why not? He made his contribution, he's got a pretty cushy life now. I'm amazed he takes the time.

Anyone watch the documentary BBC - Jonathan Ross - In Search of Steve Ditko? It is good. Here is the link there are several parts, this is part one.

Very interesting.

Fantastic stuff! I can make copies on DVD if anyone is interested seeing the whole thing on TV.

And I can't believe the hubris and sense of entitlement of some folks who feel like an old man owes them something just because he drew some comic books 45 years ago. rantrant

What does that even mean?? You should stop drinking turpentine.

I thought you might go for a hair net joke, I set it up.....

:eyeroll:

lol

Steve Ditko once told me he was allergic to BS

(...and I think he was dead serious, when we were making our way unto my father's ranch in 2007, he immediately needed his shot of epiniphrine) :(

Very interesting.

Fantastic stuff! I can make copies on DVD if anyone is interested seeing the whole thing on TV.

I would love to have a copy of this.

Actually you should, you have a ridiculous combative attitude that no one gives 2 sheets to care about.

Your probably the type of person that surfs these forums and looks for a thread to talk trash in.

Sean, grow up, I seen the thread with Desert Wind and he has every right to speak his opinion on this forum just like I do. You don't like it, to bad, post your smirky little comments in a PM to yourself, maybe you'd be the only one that responds to it.

You are what lurks on the bottom of ones shoe.

At the time, no one ever dreamed that they would be famous, that there would be conventions, that their creations would net millions of dollars, or that anyone would even care who drew what.

The bottom line is that you enjoy the work he did. He produced it, you enjoyed it. End of relationship.

Just like you, do you want people coming by your house and demanding that you make them a burger just whenever? (we're not asking for a comic, just some time set around his schedule to acknowledge us, and maybe a signature, not bug him whenever) It's what you do, and they liked the burger you made them that day at work, so you owe them don't you? (No, you don't, thats why you set time aside for them, Stan can do it, Steve can also) I mean, they paid for that burger earlier, you got paid, now they want more, so you owe them! (We actually don't want more, we want to meet and get signatures. Its a common part of the celeb life).

(There isn't, a happy person who enjoys life wouldn't think like Steve, I am sure you are not like Steve, right?)

Your example is kind of a head scratcher, let me refresh it.

If I was the Teutul family from American Chopper, I built a bike, and after it was done I revealed it at a show, then faced the fans and said "Its done, I don't want any thing to do with it, it's sold, don't bother me with another one, or to autograph anything". Would they still be as successful? I doubt it.

Just like his remark for AF 15 original art, "I could care less about it?"

Sad but true::

The bottom line is that you enjoy the work he did. He produced it, you enjoyed it. End of relationship. ^^

Just like you, do you want people coming by your house and demanding that you make them a burger just whenever? (we're not asking for a comic, just some time set around his schedule to acknowledge us, and maybe a signature, not bug him whenever) It's what you do, and they liked the burger you made them that day at work, so you owe them don't you? (No, you don't, thats why you set time aside for them, Stan can do it, Steve can also) I mean, they paid for that burger earlier, you got paid, now they want more, so you owe them! (We actually don't want more, we want to meet and get signatures. Its a common part of the celeb life).

(There isn't, a happy person who enjoys life wouldn't think like Steve, I am sure you are not like Steve, right?)

Your example is kind of a head scratcher, let me refresh it.

If I was the Teutul family from American Chopper, I built a bike, and after it was done I revealed it at a show, then faced the fans and said "Its done, I don't want any thing to do with it, it's sold, don't bother me with another one, or to autograph anything". Would they still be as successful? I doubt it.

Just like his remark for AF 15 original art, "I could care less about it?"

Sad but true::

The bottom line is that you enjoy the work he did. He produced it, you enjoyed it. End of relationship. ^^

There's no head scratching to it. He produced artwork that was reproduced in comics and you purchased them and enjoyed it and in the end he made a little money. Everyone here has fulfilled their obligation. Mr. Ditko did all of this long before there was any concept of celebrity attached to it.

Someone liked the burger you made them, now they want you to take time out of your schedule, away from your downtime, away from your family, away from your home because they like your burger and still want more from you. If you go along with it, it's a bonus. If you don't, no harm is done as everyone got what they paid for (either in money or talent).

As for the AF 15 OA comment, it should read "I couldn't care less about it." This demonstrates exactly what was written earlier about him. It was an assignment that he completed and was paid for and he has now moved on to other work. He doesn't care about money, fame, or admiration. He cares about being an artist. That's it. More of us should show this kind of devotion to our profession.

The basic problem here is selfishness. Because so many other comics professionals are generous with their time, you think that all professionals should be at least that generous. Because so many are willing to take time away from the drawing board, comics fans believe everyone should come out and revel in the glory of (as John Byrne seems to think) sweaty, smelly, wheezing, greedy fanboys. As much as I would like for them to, they just don't. Also, Mr. Ditko isn't a young man anymore. Since he avoids the spotlight, one knows how his health is either.

While lots of professionals do enjoy the interaction with fans, the vast majority of them attend shows to promote their latest project. No projects, no appearances.

I'm pretty sure that back then none of the guys working in comics had any notion that one day people would be willing to stand in line and pay for their signatures.

Right.

They weren't paid like celebrities at the time. What they were doing was supposed to be disposable -- and they certainly weren't signing on for "fame."

I can certainly imagine not wanting to be hounded over a work product I produced 45 years ago.