• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it better to invest in Silver or Gold?

68 posts in this topic

So what happens in 30 years from now when collectors who grew up in the Silver Age start dying off? Will Bronze Age suddenly be worth more than GA and SA just because the people who grew up with themhttp://boards.collectors-society.com/images//icons/smirk.gif are still around? I dont' think so. 893naughty-thumb.gif

timely

Agreed, the Bronze books are just so common, that demand is never likely to totally outstrip supply. I think the early Silver stuff, on the other hand, is sufficiently scarce in strict NM to not satiate the marketplace thirst for them. Should this demand die down 30 years from now, then the true Market Crash may be upon us. Our collections should have nice liquidity for the next 15-20 years or so, though smirk.gif

Ummm,...I just bought microsoft at $25.13 today,....lowest it's been in almost a year,...slap 20 G's down on it,.. set the sell $25.38...cash out in two days then take the $200.00 and buy a nice Silver DC......

How's that trade goin' for ya'? Unless it made a nice bounce right after your purchase it looks like you are certainly underwater on that. I used to short term trade in the market for a living. Went way way up, then way way down (like most people over the last five years). One thing I learned about stocks. NEVER count on anything. For all we know MSFT may go down to $15 OR shoot up to $35. Sure, eventually you'll make your profit but not necessarily anytime soon. But, if the market turns up it could be this week 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. ------Sid

P.S. By the way, I only do mutual funds and comics now. More fun and safer.

Another possible reason for the runup in silver prices is that most high grade comics of that period are still within affordability for typical middle-class collectors who manage their money in a typical middle-class way.

Most of us can't attend high-profile auctions at Sotheby's, so we might get a mini-thrill by plugging in a max bid on eBay that virtually guarantees a win. So what if it means another $100-200 on the credit card, most people can handle that level of pain and (at least in the US) we've been conditioned to think that way. That might lead to, say, a 9.4 copy of World's Finest #169 (a cool cover, don't get me wrong) - selling for 4x as much as anyone has probably ever paid for the book. I suppose the expense is justifiable if it will add to someone's enjoyment of the hobby, but I have to think they will have problems on the back-end when they are ready to sell.

On the other hand, most people are not in a position to post multiple-guide "thrill" bids on early golden age material, so you don't see as much runup on the high grade, non-pedigree commons. Also, I would propose the high grade g/a audience leans toward upper-class, who are usually more financially savvy, and thus less likely to pay outrageous prices that would limit their flexibility on the back-end.

Very good summation Flash. I think you are right in the fact that people with more money (at least of those who EARNED it) are more likely to make better investment decisions and handle their money more wisely than most of us who balance between paycheck to paycheck and credit cards. ------Sid

Speculator demand outstrips reality by a long shot.

I mean, just take a quick peek at an ultra-common book like Hulk 181 and the prices it's bringing.

I don't agree that the speculation demand is the only reason driving the popularity of a key like Hulk 181.

Rather, I attribute its popularity to Wolverines debut, as one of the first characters in the Marvel Universe to challenge the legacy left behind by his predecessors: that heroes should abide by the rules, and "play nice." Wolverines personality and violent tendencies began to challenge the talionic code, and forced writers and readers to redefine what a hero should be. It was a radical departure from the comic codes moderating tendencies, and Wolverine was the first sign of a hero who didn't live by any strict code which endorsed the refusal to kill. He did what had to be done, constantly begging the question: should heroes offer defeated villains

mercy, or is "an eye for an eye" the only way to deal with evil?

In a day and age when people realize there are no guarantees that the good guy will always prevail, Wolverines "no-rules" fierce attitude badly outdates the image of a hero with sparkling teeth, good hair, and who prefers wearing a cape. It is IMO that the personality and demeanour that we have come to recognize as Wolverine help make his appeal widespread and able to transcend any generational gap.

Very well stated! So many copies but the demand has always been there, but don't know how long it will stay.

You can look on ebay and find multiples of most silver age keys available almost every day 365 days a year. Need a FF 1 or Showcase 4 they are there even in higher grade as long as you have the cash its available if you just talk to the right people. Try getting a Punch 12 in any grade or a Cat Man 20 or a Fantastic 3. These books are so few in population and change hands so sparsely that the guides arent even close. Silver gets much higher than Gold prices will boom again Demand might not be anywhere near as high but the supply is so low it doesnt matter as much. The argument that people only are interested in what they read intitially is BS. I'm 34 heck I wasnt even born when Silver Age was on the stands but I collected that then Gold and now am playing with original artwork as well. Demand for more plentiful books might need movies etc to spike prices but rare books will always have value You dont need to stick with known characters such as Superman, Batman. Prices on DC's and Timely's are waaayy higher than much rarer books with equal or superior artwork from MLJ, Fox etc. I do think that Platinum Age stuff may take a very long time to grow I dont know of any who collect it other than those writing the Overstreet reports and articles??????????????????????