• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a 9.8?

148 posts in this topic

If we could find some more severe examples--such as an otherwise-9.8 book with a 1/2" or even a full 1" miswrap--we'd be able to conclude a lot more than we currently can.

Do you remember that Hulk #181 CGC 9.6 that Ewert sold that was discussed ad naseum on here? I used to own that book and can't find scans of it. Borock specifically said that book was an otherwise 9.8/9.9 book was hammered for the miscut/miswrap. It was actually a really pretty book other than the wrap to the back.

I wouldn't say that means they're not downgrading for the miswrap at all--it did knock it down to a certain level, which itself is a downgrade.

Absolutely, it's just that calling it a downgrade gets people associating it with the other defects when in fact it may just be a grade cut-off based on eye appeal with other defects actually accounting for the final grade.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

(thumbs u

Borock specifically said that book was an otherwise 9.8/9.0 book was hammered for the miscut/miswrap.

Told you the 9 was pretty close to the 0.

Borock specifically said that book was an otherwise 9.8/9.0 book was hammered for the miscut/miswrap.

Told you the 9 was pretty close to the 0.

:tonofbricks:

Absolutely, it's just that calling it a downgrade gets people associating it with the other defects when in fact it may just be a grade cut-off based on eye appeal with other defects actually accounting for the final grade.

If something stops a book from reaching a certain grade then it has to be classed as a defect that affects the grade. You can't have a set of grading standards for books without miswraps and another set for books with miswraps.

What you're actually saying in the quoted post is that they will grade a book on it's structural merit but then knock it for it's eye appeal? For one that's totally contradicting what's being discussed in the Grading Contest threads, and for two wouldn't that have to be encompassed in grading standards?

If you really do want to contest that miswrap affects grade Roy, you've got to class it as a defect that affects grade. Saying it creates a cut-off point is moot as you're just contradicting your own argument as that's what defects do.

If something stops a book from reaching a certain grade then it has to be classed as a defect that affects the grade. You can't have a set of grading standards for books without miswraps and another set for books with miswraps.

What you're actually saying in the quoted post is that they will grade a book on it's structural merit but then knock it for it's eye appeal? For one that's totally contradicting what's being discussed in the Grading Contest threads, and for two wouldn't that have to be encompassed in grading standards?

If you really do want to contest that miswrap affects grade Roy, you've got to class it as a defect that affects grade. Saying it creates a cut-off point is moot as you're just contradicting your own argument as that's what defects do.

Gav, from what I've seen (and FF has agreed with this) the miswrap does affect the grade. It is a defect and it does indeed affect the grade. I'm not disputing that at all. That's what you and Sean were disputing.

The reason we I'm discussing it now is because we disagree on how it affects the grade, not whether it affects the grade.

It just appears from what I've been able to glean, that it does not affect the grade the way most other traditional defects affect the grade...ie. not in the traditional way where the accumulation defects like spine stresses, bumps, crunches, etc. determine the grade.

The miswrap seems to affect the grade without regard to the other defects and that is the difference here.

Miswraps seem to be factored in separately to create a cut off grade that simply limits the top allowable grade. Then the book is graded as an imaginary 10.0 (with the miswrap being temporarily ignored) until the final grade is assigned.

The final grade will be the lower of the two: either the miswrap cut off grade or the grade based on the other defects. Whichever is lower.

Call it what you want...I think that calling it a defect like any other defect is misleading and that is why I was striving to find another name for it.

Long winded I know, but that seems to be what they do.

You know what would be useful - if everyone could see their grading standards/criteria.

:idea:

Sure it would, but they're not going to do that.

Then you'd have every Roy, Gav and Andrew calling to argue over how their micrometer measures the grade of the book differently.

lol

Don't they get people calling in all the time now to argue grades? Honestly, what difference would it make? (shrug)

Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

(thumbs u

No problemo. I always love a good grading and restoration thread that's pondering new ground or controversial topics--you know, except the ones where we're beating a dead horse, like the same old same old pressing threads. Not that there's nothing new to discuss with pressing, I just rarely ever see it, most of the time it's the same old stuff.

I'm not on the boards much because a year-long relationship ended about a month ago and I'm trying to date more...so much to do. :busy: I still skim but rarely post.