• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 GA covers

158 posts in this topic

i'll have to give some thought to 2-5, but since starting my fox run 3 or so years ago i have thought this is the best cover of the whole g.a.

fantastic3-1.jpg

That's just purdy. ththdrool2.gif

why, thankee, sir.

and a neat thing about fine that bedrock and i were chatting about the other day, like true geeks--he was a master at including some off-center, non-feature item on the cover that somehow would draw your eye to it, despite all the goings-on as regards the principal theme of the cover. like on jon's mystery men 3, the little green guy coming up the stairs. on fantastic 4, the monster in the window with the gun. on this book, the robot coming up from the rear over the buildings. on t's national, i always find myself looking at the little yellow-clad figure at the bottom. really had a way with it.

i'll have to give some thought to 2-5, but since starting my fox run 3 or so years ago i have thought this is the best cover of the whole g.a.

fantastic3-1.jpg

This would for sure be up there for me as well. Almost anything Fine gets me giddy. I love Wonderworld #4 even down to the horse's nostrils. My low grade copy but I love this book.

e07c9930.jpg

The Fantastic 3 is truly one of the top covers. Here are my favs

Batman 1, simple in its appearance, but that loving glance between Batman and Robin just can't be topped.

batman1.jpg

I have always loved S&K's Guardian and the News Boy Legion

starspangled7.jpg

And of course a few repeats y the amazing Lou Fine

mysterymen3.jpg

wonderworld7.jpg

We ran a poll a few years -- might be time to do a new.

I was unable to find that thread using but a more adept searcher might be able to.

:shy: I'd expect more from you.

Here are the results pages since we (Norinn Radd and myself) ran a Super-Hero and a non-Super-Hero poll -

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

Thanks to Paris_Fred for still hosting these after so many years :o

I was unable to find that thread using but a more adept searcher might be able to.

I could see a poll being the follow up to this thread.

Good idea

In my estimation you have time periods of:

1. pre-hero

2. GA with Action 1

3. GA dead with MM92 or there abouts with the death of Dr. Horton in Marvel Mystery 92 H.T. visits him at his deathbed. Symbolic of the end of the GA era in a figurative sense.

4. "Dark" Age from 1950 until

5. Showcase 4 and the Silver Age

MY favorite covers

oh and limit one per cover artist, or they would all be Lou Fine

can't be done for five...but this is a diverse grouping

Great books Jon. :applause:

Please post somemore Lou Fine covers as they would deserve to be in a poll

I don't own any of them, but I would have to give consideration to Exciting 28, Suspense 3 and Cap 46. Detective 31 would make my top 5 for sure.

Can those owning these books please post them.

If not done by later today I'll find suitable scans.

:shy: I'd expect more from you.

Here are the results pages since we (Norinn Radd and myself) ran a Super-Hero and a non-Super-Hero poll -

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

Thanks to Paris_Fred for still hosting these after so many years :o

Interesting that Action #1 was placed so highly.

Wonder whether this was because of its key status rather than the artwork?

We had a lot of talks specifically about that topic. It came down to the fact that the bias towards Action 1 is obviously key-oriented but also well deserved artistically in the sense that once you put ALL other covers concurently on the newsstands next to Action # 1, it is striking how different and exciting the cover of Action 1 truly is. Sure, it becomes quite humdrum once Fine and Kirby hit the scene but in proper context, it is groundbreaking. (P.S.: I still think people are biased b/c it's THE key, i.e., I didn't vote it that high on my list).