• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie 1 8.5 blue in upcoming Heritage Auction!

48 posts in this topic

Wowza :o

I agree. That's mega key territory. I thought somewhere between $50K and $100K. Incredible.

I wonder if it will trickle down to the lower grades.

Imagine what a nice, highest graded Pep #22 would do now...

doh!

That Church package purchase of the Archie #1 and Pep #22 seems like a steal now.

Actually, I believe what we just witness was a blow-up or the exact opposite of the trickle down effect.

In other words, low and mid grade copies of Archie #1 have been going for huge mutiples of condition guide on a consistent basis over the past several years. With the first real so-called high-grade copy to come into the marketplace, we just saw the explosive effect of this pent-up price pressure for a high-grade copy.

And yes, the huge price for the Church combo 15 years ago seems like a dream come true for the seller then, but definitely looks like a steal for the buyer now. Are these 2 books still owned by Geppi or was he forced to sell them off due to his financial situation?

I agree. That's mega key territory. I thought somewhere between $50K and $100K. Incredible.

doh!

That Church package purchase of the Archie #1 and Pep #22 seems like a steal now.

Actually, I believe what we just witness was a blow-up or the exact opposite of the trickle down effect.

In other words, low and mid grade copies of Archie #1 have been going for huge mutiples of condition guide on a consistent basis over the past several years. With the first real so-called high-grade copy to come into the marketplace, we just saw the explosive effect of this pent-up price pressure for a high-grade copy.

And yes, the huge price for the Church combo 15 years ago seems like a dream come true for the seller then, but definitely looks like a steal for the buyer now. Are these 2 books still owned by Geppi or was he forced to sell them off due to his financial situation?

I agree that there has been a lot of "pent up" pressure building up. Mega keys that are finally seeing respect in the marketplace compared to other mega keys.

Does anyone think that this new $167K sale will affect lower grade copies by "raising the tide", so to speak?

doh!

I agree that there has been a lot of "pent up" pressure building up. Mega keys that are finally seeing respect in the marketplace compared to other mega keys.

Does anyone think that this new $167K sale will affect lower grade copies by "raising the tide", so to speak?

The whole point of Dean's post, which you agreed with :makepoint:, is that the $167k sale was the result or culmination of the rising tide, rather than the cause of a rising tide that will subsequently pull prices up.

doh!

The whole point of Dean's post, which you agreed with :makepoint:, is that the $167k sale was the result or culmination of the rising tide, rather than the cause of a rising tide that will subsequently pull prices up.

I realized after I posted that I sounded like I contradicted myself. What I meant was that people are reactive and one sale can start a frenzy. So yes, there was upward pressure for a very long time but this single sale breaking a barrier (like the $100,000 barrier which it obliterated) is a significant landmark for the Archie titles.

I'm betting a nice Pep #22 like this would break $200,000 or maybe $250,000.

The truth is that Archie #1 and Pep #22 have long been under appreciated in terms of actual $ and I think we are now seeing a correction where their values are coming more into line with comparable keys.

To put it into perspective, this Archie #1 is now in rare atmosphere. There are not a whole lot of books that have broken $150,000.

The HG nature of this book pushed it into the stratosphere, based on already high water marks established by lesser copies. But I can't see this sale pulling lesser books up in the process.

Lesser copies will continue to do as well as they have, but not get even more insane because of this sale. In other words, what Lou said.

The upcoming Movie coming out might help though.

hm

doh!

I realized after I posted that I sounded like I contradicted myself. What I meant was that people are reactive and one sale can start a frenzy. So yes, there was upward pressure for a very long time but this single sale breaking a barrier (like the $100,000 barrier which it obliterated) is a significant landmark for the Archie titles.

I'm betting a nice Pep #22 like this would break $200,000 or maybe $250,000.

The truth is that Archie #1 and Pep #22 have long been under appreciated in terms of actual $ and I think we are now seeing a correction where their values are coming more into line with comparable keys.

To put it into perspective, this Archie #1 is now in rare atmosphere. There are not a whole lot of books that have broken $150,000.

To me this is what this is around what this book should have sold for when you factor in the importance and difficulty in high grade. I was just hoping it would break $100,000, so to see it reach full value like this is a (positive) surprise.

The Church pair would be $500-600k now. when I first put together the $100k list I included them because I thought they deserved it, but I thought they'd be hanging on to 6 figures in the open market. Clearly not the case now :insane: