• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any tax attorneys out there willing to do some research on a Comics Code matter?

37 posts in this topic

Are you working on a comic research/knowledge site or something? Or just trying to preserve the information that no one else seems to care about except you and I.

You guys might want to talk to Gifflefunk, he's a student of the Code. Not sure if it's quite in this vein, though.

Upon just doing some research myself (not at school yet so no RIA) it is tough to find out anything on this organization. They were once owned by Keller Management and run by Holly Munter Koenig until 2009. She has a twitter page but you aren't allowed to direct message her, even though she only has like 50 or so followers.

Whoever has run it since 2009 is a mystery (shrug)

I'll see if I can find anything in RIA later today, but with the way my search through the EDGAR database & SEC websites went, I have found NOTHING. Even having the EIN number from your first post didn't help.

I'm going to also send a message to my tax research professor and see if he can help out here.

Upon just doing some research myself (not at school yet so no RIA) it is tough to find out anything on this organization. They were once owned by Keller Management and run by Holly Munter Koenig until 2009. She has a twitter page but you aren't allowed to direct message her, even though she only has like 50 or so followers.

Whoever has run it since 2009 is a mystery (shrug)

I'll see if I can find anything in RIA later today, but with the way my search through the EDGAR database & SEC websites went, I have found NOTHING. Even having the EIN number from your first post didn't help.

I'm going to also send a message to my tax research professor and see if he can help out here.

Interesting, thanks for the research so far. Who is Koenig, a Keller employee? edit: I see she is a VP there.

I'm having difficulty finding anything on RIA. It won't allow me to search individual tax returns, as that should be on EDGAR's (SEC Reporting) site. But I will post other cool information in my quest for comic legislation, which perhaps you could use.

First thing that came up was :

"High school math teacher couldn't deduct cost of purchasing comic books for student comic book club he sponsored: although comics were helpful to club members, expenses weren't ordinary and necessary to taxpayer's employment. Taxpayer didn't show that purchasing comics maintained or improved his skills as math teacher, or that he was required to make purchases as express condition of employment: sponsors were only required to supervise students, not purchase supplies; and taxpayer collected comics as hobby."

"High school math teacher couldn't deduct cost of purchasing comic books for student comic book club he sponsored: although comics were helpful to club members, expenses weren't ordinary and necessary to taxpayer's employment. Taxpayer didn't show that purchasing comics maintained or improved his skills as math teacher, or that he was required to make purchases as express condition of employment: sponsors were only required to supervise students, not purchase supplies; and taxpayer collected comics as hobby."

Haha, great stuff.

I did just have a pleasant email exchange with Ms. Koenig. She didn't have too much to say on the matter re details, but she did express a respect for comics and many of the industry figures she worked with over the years.

But of important note: The CMAA's records and historical documentation was sent to DC's attorneys. I am relieved to at least know that the material still exists and is being looked after (presumably!).

Hit the motherload - there's a website that shows information on tax returns for non-profit organizations. It only has three years of CMAC (2008, 2007, 2006). To get more than that I have to become a premium subscriber, which I'm not going to do. I have to go to class right now, but will post the images of the documents when I get a chance.

Well good news. I can register as an educator and get access to everything. I just have to be approved as having a research motive and I get temporary access. It takes them 3 business days to approve so I'll have to wait on that.

Pictures actually would be harder to do, so I'm going to see if I can just post the files here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSYTkzMjU0NDYtNDg4ZS00ZDFiLWFmODctNjE5MThlYjliOGI3&hl=en&authkey=CICrxYAM

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSMzZjNjViM2UtY2M1OS00NWFmLTk4ZmEtY2NkMDE0MjhmMmJh&hl=en&authkey=CNWb_DA

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSYTk0NDdhODUtNDAxNS00ZmFiLTlmYTQtZjhmZDk4MzA0Njlj&hl=en&authkey=CIfKn7wC

Anyone with this link can access, if anyone wants me to send the docs I can.

Awesome! Great work, sir. :headbang:

I'll take some time to digest what's here after I knock some other work out of the way tonite.

Looking forward to the rest when you get the additional access. Hope you end up getting a school project out of this as well.

Well good news. I can register as an educator and get access to everything. I just have to be approved as having a research motive and I get temporary access. It takes them 3 business days to approve so I'll have to wait on that.

Pictures actually would be harder to do, so I'm going to see if I can just post the files here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSYTkzMjU0NDYtNDg4ZS00ZDFiLWFmODctNjE5MThlYjliOGI3&hl=en&authkey=CICrxYAM

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSMzZjNjViM2UtY2M1OS00NWFmLTk4ZmEtY2NkMDE0MjhmMmJh&hl=en&authkey=CNWb_DA

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7p-kRLwYrwSYTk0NDdhODUtNDAxNS00ZmFiLTlmYTQtZjhmZDk4MzA0Njlj&hl=en&authkey=CIfKn7wC

Anyone with this link can access, if anyone wants me to send the docs I can.

:headbang:

Strangely enough, the preparer of those financial statements works for one of the companies I am interviewing with. Amazing what we've found haha :)

Excellent, there's an interview icebreaker for you. Ms. Koenig just informed me that the CMAA technically still exists and that the wrap-up will presumably be handled by DC's attorneys.