• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyers Market? eBay?

29 posts in this topic

As probably most of you know, eBay has put up a 50 cent insertion fee day (March 23, 2004).

I originally thought about listing a few books, but it seems like everyone and their brother is listing books.

But what's odd is that many are MISSING THE POINT with the 50 cent insertion.

Specifically, I see lots of high-grade nice books being listed with ZERO RESERVE and starting at a very low price. The point of the 50 cent insertion day should be that you can list a book starting at a HIGH PRICE, and hope for a big sell. If it doesn't sell, you're out a whole 50 cents.

So my real point is that there should be some good bargains over the next week as:

1) so many books are being listed

2) many have low starting prices with no reserve

3) Heritage's signature auction is less than 12 days away so some people might be hesitant to spend lots of money on eBay right now.

Opinions?

Absolutely! It makes sound economic sense to me. I've been listing accordingly- no big $$$ books, mostly reader copies and higher grade fillers, just enough to maintain a presence on ebay. I've actually been making more of an effort to buy right now and prepare to list some better stuff post-heritage and before 4/15.

thanks...for $1.50 I get 7 days of advertising on the most auction site in the world with the potential of a nice sale or a private deal with no fees and more potential offers/contacts. Not bad at all.....

Exactly Rob just like that BTW, I just heard about those WV t-shirts tonight. How are they selling for you?

Started one at $25, and it had 100 hits and bid up to $31 in 2 hours. By 5pm, 35 had been listed, so to make mine unique, I listed another with a $49.99 buy-it-now, the cheapest BIN on eBay. I listed it before leaving work, and by the time I got home, it had sold. So I posted another, and went to the mall to clear out my Abercrombie. I bought 6 more. The other $49.99 I listed also sold.

So I have more listed at $49.99 BIN, but now people have undercut me. There are several listed with lower BIN's. I'll wait it out, mine will sell.

Exactly Rob just like that BTW, I just heard about those WV t-shirts tonight. How are they selling for you?

What are WV T-Shirts? Ami I missing something here?

Abercrombie & Fitch sells funny t-shirts. They have one that says "It's all relative in West Virginia", implying incest. The WV governor demanded that they stop production and destroy all t-shirts. I don't think they'll destroy them, but I think they pulled them from their website, and I heard they stopped production. There was a link and picture on www.drudgereport.com. So now, people want one, while they're still available.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with them. They are quite the talk of the town here in Cumberland, MD since we are literally a stone's throw from the MD-WV line and many citizens enjoy throwing stones (or anything else they can heft) across the Potomac River at West Virginians. makepoint.gif

What are WV T-Shirts? Ami I missing something here?

Abercrombie & Fitch sells funny t-shirts. They have one that says "It's all relative in West Virginia", implying incest. The WV governor demanded that they stop production and destroy all t-shirts. I don't think they'll destroy them, but I think they pulled them from their website, and I heard they stopped production. There was a link and picture on www.drudgereport.com. So now, people want one, while they're still available.

I think that is frickin' hilarious... will check out your shirts smile.gif any other contriversial clothing you carry?

private deal? 893naughty-thumb.gif

thanks...for $1.50 I get 7 days of advertising on the most auction site in the world with the potential of a nice sale or a private deal with no fees and more potential offers/contacts. Not bad at all.....

I'm sure you'll do just fine with them. They are quite the talk of the town here in Cumberland, MD since we are literally a stone's throw from the MD-WV line and many citizens enjoy throwing stones (or anything else they can heft) across the Potomac River at West Virginians. makepoint.gif

I almost forgot West Virginia was a state! grin.gif

You never hear about it. I always thing of this one horror movie every time I see that state name. Can't think of the name of the movie but it was about a bunch of cannibalk inbreds.

I used to "date" a girl who lived in West Virginia. I'd drive six hours to get to her apartment, and I felt my neck getting redder every mile inside the state. Horrible place.

I used to "date" a girl who lived in West Virginia. I'd drive six hours to get to her apartment, and I felt my neck getting redder every mile inside the state. Horrible place.

You know what they say..."VA is for lovers, WVA is for brothers". 27_laughing.gif

For outdoor activities, WVA is tough to beat though...snow-skiing, whitewater rafting, hiking, plenty of camping areas, uncrowded, etc.,.

My wife is from western PA, near WV. We visited her family this Christmas, and took a trip to WV one night to see a Christmas light display. We stopped at Baskin Robbins for some ice cream, and I proceeded to pay with my debit card. The girl working said, "Oh, we don't have a swipe thing." My wife was almost out the door when I yelled at her for some cash. She asked what the problem was (thinking our card was denied or something), and I blurted out (loud enough for everyone in the place to hear), "We're in West Virginia, and I forgot they don't have the technology to take credit cards!" I'm sure they weren't happy with me.

I work in a call center that covers a large portion of people in WV,,.......I keep a log of the stupidest things they ask and say.....yesterdays entry : I advised a man that an electrical inspector would be out to inspect his trailer within 48 hours....his reply " How many days is 48 hours?"....you can't make this stuff up folks....... tongue.gif

Wow! You must have been back in the hills a bit! We have those "swipe things" in almost all the chain stores. We even have a 7-11 in Frostburg- a true sign of civilization. BTW Rob, what town was your wife originally from?