• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EIDES ff's bring big $$$

102 posts in this topic

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off, arguing with unreasonable people.

Can you repeat that.... tongue.gif

You mean this part?

owning a bunch of plastic-slabbed funny books somehow gives them the right to condescend to everyone else (which is particularly amusing since, not to name names, it appears that a number of people in all 3 of the above categories aren't even self-made men).

I think it was before that part..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off, arguing with unreasonable people.

Gene, I generally have great respect for the economic realism of your postings. However, I think it is incredibly bad form to start imposing your values on the rest of us. The "James Bond-ian" lifestyle you advocate has absolutely zero attraction to me, and for anyone to tell me that spending money to fund some kind of Robin Leach lifestyle is somehow superior to spending money to buy a comic is incredibly presumptuous. I would certainly never presume to come onto some designer goods board to lecture them that they're shallow and vacuous and the expensive shoes/purses/etc. that they're purchasing depreciate in value the moment they leave the store and therefore they would be better off buying comic books or some other sort of collectible.

I'm really not sure which part of "I have no qualms with people spending money on what they want to" and "To each his own" you didn't understand? confused-smiley-013.gif If anything is "incredibly presumptuous", it's that the owners of high-priced funny books, their groupies and the dealers who cater to them feel that owning some high-priced funny books gives them the right to look down upon everyone else. I would say Captain_Tripps seems to be an exception to that rule (though I'm still highly agitated about his fabricating that story about his (fictional) stock market losses on TV to promote investing in comics), but seeing guys like Brulato, Lauterbach and Nathanson come on the Boards and denigrate the average collector makes me want to hurl, as does the constant kissing up to these guys, and others, that goes on here.

No matter what your "values" are, I would hope that people have more self-respect than to come on the Boards and stroke some guy's wang just because he laid down some big coin for a mere funny book. As for the lifestyle comment, I didn't mean to imply that one should spend money on status items instead of comics, nor that those who can afford to buy a lot of comics and lead cool lifestyles shouldn't do both. I merely meant that buying comics, no matter how expensive, is in no way worthy of the excessive oohing/ahhing/fawning that often goes on here, like a bunch of 14-year old girls pining away for Justin Timberlake. And, that for some people, like my friend DAM60 (whose situation I know well), perhaps siphoning off some of that money going into an overpriced comic (that I know he's barely going to look at and will be telling me within 2 weeks that he regrets the purchase, as has happened in the past) and spending the money instead on having a great time with his girlfriend or saving for/investing in his future might be a better value proposition.

Gene

I'm really not sure which part of "I have no qualms with people spending money on what they want to" and "To each his own" you didn't understand? confused-smiley-013.gif If anything is "incredibly presumptuous", it's that the owners of high-priced funny books, their groupies and the dealers who cater to them feel that owning some high-priced funny books gives them the right to look down upon everyone else. I would say Captain_Tripps seems to be an exception to that rule (though I'm still highly agitated about his fabricating that story about his (fictional) stock market losses on TV to promote investing in comics), but seeing guys like Brulato, Lauterbach and Nathanson come on the Boards and denigrate the average collector makes me want to hurl, as does the constant kissing up to these guys, and others, that goes on here.

No matter what your "values" are, I would hope that people have more self-respect than to come on the Boards and stroke some guy's wang just because he laid down some big coin for a mere funny book. As for the lifestyle comment, I didn't mean to imply that one should spend money on status items instead of comics, nor that those who can afford to buy a lot of comics and lead cool lifestyles shouldn't do both. I merely meant that buying comics, no matter how expensive, is in no way worthy of the excessive oohing/ahhing/fawning that often goes on here, like a bunch of 14-year old girls pining away for Justin Timberlake. And, that for some people, like my friend DAM60 (whose situation I know well), perhaps siphoning off some of that money going into an overpriced comic (that I know he's barely going to look at and will be telling me within 2 weeks that he regrets the purchase, as has happened in the past) and spending the money instead on having a great time with his girlfriend or saving for/investing in his future might be a better value proposition.

Odd pair of paragraphs, there...in the first, you denigrade a few egotists, and in the second, you egotistically denigrade those who admire them. foreheadslap.gif I don't think I'm one myself, but if I were, I'd rather be an openly smug egotist than a smug egotist who acts like he isn't.

It's tough to get out of Jean-Georges or any restaurant of that quality for less than $500, with wine, tax, and tip. But I'd still rather do just the dinner than own the Batman 237.

Here's a quote from Gene (delekkerste) from the Batman 237 thread in the bronze section that drives this point home. Lets see if it can penetrate that BSD brain of yours;

Dude, just be content with the mid-grade copy you have and take the 5 C-notes you saved and spend it on dinner for two at Jean-Georges, a couple of Broadway show tickets and a carriage ride through Central Park for two, all during which you can thank your lucky stars that somebody was crazy enough to spend over $500 for that book so you could enjoy the finest food and entertainment in the world with your girlfriend instead of adding another overpriced non-key book to your collection that you're never even going to bother looking at once you own it. You know it makes sense.

Yup. thumbsup2.gif

Gene

Gene, I generally have great respect for the economic realism of your postings. However, I think it is incredibly bad form to start imposing your values on the rest of us. The "James Bond-ian" lifestyle you advocate has absolutely zero attraction to me, and for anyone to tell me that spending money to fund some kind of Robin Leach lifestyle is somehow superior to spending money to buy a comic is incredibly presumptuous. I would certainly never presume to come onto some designer goods board to lecture them that they're shallow and vacuous and the expensive shoes/purses/etc. that they're purchasing depreciate in value the moment they leave the store and therefore they would be better off buying comic books or some other sort of collectible.

Finally, I think your and COI's attacks on Doc are unwarranted. His thing is tracking big transactions, and he likes to post about them because he likes to talk about them. What's wrong with that and why does that make him sycophantic? Perhaps some of us like hearing about big deals and hearing from big collectors to figure out who the players are, where the books are, and generally gain more insights into the hobby, which will help us improve our own collections. News flash, a lot of BSDs actually know a lot about comics! If the discussions in these particular threads make you nauseous, well, don't open them.

here - here!!! - well said.................. thumbsup2.gif

is it just me or does the prevailing sentiment on these boards seem to be "them vs us", the "haves vs the have nots"??

all i did was report on some sales realised as i find this sort of stuff interesting and exciting and worth tracking , COI comes on with his "joke" comment and this unleashes the usual BSD hater tirade, the usual rant : these people who spend so much on plastic slabs are shallow fools and should be spending it on lifestyle- nice food, nice car, nice home.......

well,the irony of it.... does it occur to the haters that there is a high likelihood that most of these people who spend big $$$ on books have already acquired a nice home, nice car etc and have disposable income to spend on other stuff they enjoy, why begrudge them of that? they have already achieved the "lifestyle" to which u advocate so who is being the sycophantic circle jerk stroker?

and , so what if they are not self made men but rather that they inherited their $$$?good luck to them. are u jealous of them?

do u know what else they do with their money-do u know they may be big contributors to worthwhile charities?

and more power to them if they are self made men and have lots of $$$ to spend on the funny books they treasure.

some folks are richer than u haters, learn to live with that fact and grow up

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off, arguing with unreasonable people. He's going to go out and get laid, and forget this thread ever existed.

is it just me or does the prevailing sentiment on these boards seem to be "them vs us", the "haves vs the have nots"??

Actually, I think it's the well-adjusted people vs. those who judge themselves and others by what labels are on their plastic-encased comic books and how much they spend on comics per year. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif