• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 24* Results

30 posts in this topic

Who would have believed a 1 point round would be enough to move me out front? :o

We all should have known better, seeing that crease on the cover. I think the mysterious ncb mentioned put us off. That visible crease alone was always going to hold it below 7.0 territory. I didn't even notice the tape pull.

I thought 6.5 and went 7.0 to hedge my bets, in fear of it grading higher. I also think the previous rounds have taught us to expect high grades!

Who would have believed a 1 point round would be enough to move me out front? :o

We all should have known better, seeing that crease on the cover. I think the mysterious ncb mentioned put us off. That visible crease alone was always going to hold it below 7.0 territory. I didn't even notice the tape pull.

I thought 6.5 and went 7.0 to hedge my bets, in fear of it grading higher. I also think the previous rounds have taught us to expect high grades!

:o I was the only one in the top ten to get 3 points! I thought the visible crease would knock it down to 7.0 and (on a wing and a prayer) took another half mark for the invisible one. I missed the tape pull too.

But Point Five rocked this round - well done Jon!

Holy :censored: I didn't see that nasty crease by Kraven, I saw something by the vulture and then messed up because I graded it based on that crease

Well didn't drop and I hope to finish in the top 100. :hi:

WEBHEAD

Here's my actual comments to those upon high that run this fun little contest.....

ASM 100 widomaker

In my old days of grading pre-cgc, I'd have called the book a 5.0 if it was beautiful and had a sub crease. The creasing isn't as bad as a sub crease, so it would have been a 5.5 or maybe stretching it up to a 6.0.

With that said, I think CGC will give it a 6.5 so that's what I'm going with and feel it's generous. Otherwise a very pretty book though.

Here's my actual comments to those upon high that run this fun little contest.....

ASM 100 widomaker

In my old days of grading pre-cgc, I'd have called the book a 5.0 if it was beautiful and had a sub crease. The creasing isn't as bad as a sub crease, so it would have been a 5.5 or maybe stretching it up to a 6.0.

With that said, I think CGC will give it a 6.5 so that's what I'm going with and feel it's generous. Otherwise a very pretty book though.

Pretty much nailed it then :applause:

But Point Five rocked this round - well done Jon!

Hey, thanks for the kind words, guys. :hi: I can only say, I know CGC hammers creases with extreme prejudice, and this crease seemed like a biggie. I thought 5.5, then 6.5, then decided to split the difference at 6.0. Sometimes you get lucky I guess!