• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big Book Of Fun Comics

128 posts in this topic

Personally, I think that Ian needs to offer something that is extremely rare, maybe a Gerber 8 or 9, in exchange for those books. Like 'House said, the offer needs to be so good that they don't even question it for a second. If I were the curator, I'd be thinking "Oh sure, he wants the rare one and wants to swap for several issues that are not as rare."

My point in negotiating with them would be twofold:

1) Make a significant cash offer.

2) Make a color xerox of the book so they have it for the collection.

Since many libraries are going digital, I think Ian would have a good chance of pulling it off.

Best of luck.

I've sent them a list of stuff that Quicksilver has in stock - four Flash Comics for No 43, four Heart Throbs for No 66, and four Here's Howie's for No 17.

He hasn't replied.

But as a straight trade of four issues of the same title in each case for one, I was hoping it was an attractive offer.

Twelve comics of the same titles and nearby numbers for three.

I keep my fingers crossed.

This sounds like a good approach. Here's another idea along those lines -- ASK them what comics THEY have tried to acquire but haven't been able to find. If there's something THEY WANT more than the comics that YOU WANT, then that will give you real leverage! With your surplus issues, and with all the dealer contacts you've made over the years perhaps you'll be able to add some real value to the transaction by finding some comics that they've wanted to acquire but have been unable to locate. Providing your time and ability to locate some HTF issues for them that they want and are much more desirable than the issues that you want may tip the scales in your favor.

Find out what comics they want but can't find... and find them for them.... that's the way to go.

Good point. Perhaps Ian could offer to provide color xeroxes of several Gerber 8s or 9s from his stash. Remember, he's not dealing with a collector in our sense of the word. They use the material for scholarly work, not drool over them like we do!

I meant that he should offer the actual books, assuming he has duplicates. I don't think that a library/museum director who manages a rare comic collection would trade a real, scarce book for a million color xeroxes.

Good point. Perhaps Ian could offer to provide color xeroxes of several Gerber 8s or 9s from his stash. Remember, he's not dealing with a collector in our sense of the word. They use the material for scholarly work, not drool over them like we do!

Find out what comics they want but can't find... and find them for them.... that's the way to go.

I believe I heard a rumor that they would indeed trade those very books for a copy of Buzzy 70, The Big Book of Fun Comics, and a Double Action 1.

Above all, in this case I would be extremely patient. Keep searching for the books in your usual manner and consider these copies a back-up plan. If you don't hear back after 2-3 weeks, you should try to talk directly to Randy on the phone. Explain how close to your goal you are and ask if there's anything you could do for the library in exchange for the books you need. At that point you should have your answer. wink.gif

Above all, in this case I would be extremely patient. Keep searching for the books in your usual manner and consider these copies a back-up plan. If you don't hear back after 2-3 weeks, you should try to talk directly to Randy on the phone. Explain how close to your goal you are and ask if there's anything you could do for the library in exchange for the books you need. At that point you should have your answer.

That was exactly my thoughts, and exactly how I was proceeding.