• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy Poll - 25th to 28th

25th to 28th  

243 members have voted

1. 1. 25th to 28th

45 posts in this topic

Self proclaimed Marvel Zombie here but just wanted to chime in and say that Flash #123 should still be in this running. That was a BIG book over the past few decades.

Fun threads, George. Thanks for putting on a great show!

Marvel zombie here also..I dont know anything about DC comics...so sadly I am voting all the DC comics off.. (shrug)...will start to think about it once its all Marvel... lol:juggle:

Self proclaimed Marvel Zombie here but just wanted to chime in and say that Flash #123 should still be in this running. That was a BIG book over the past few decades.

Fun threads, George. Thanks for putting on a great show!

Marvel zombie here also..I dont know anything about DC comics...so sadly I am voting all the DC comics off.. (shrug)...will start to think about it once its all Marvel... lol:juggle:

You guys and your obsession with one company...makes no sense, when there's stuff from all of them to admire, appreciate, and enjoy.

I love Marvel. I love DC. I love Gold Key. I love Dell. Archie, not so much.

lol

Here's my choices:

B&B #34 (1st SA Hawkman)

Detective #225 (1st Martian Manhunter/ start of SA?)

Green Lantern #1 (Origin retold)

JLA #1 (4th JLA and 1st Despero)

I picked Action #252 over Tec #225 - because of my own bias that Supergirl really isn't that important a character, and because I do consider Tec #225 a Silver Age book - if only because MM is a quintessentially SA character.

I look at Showcase #4 as being somewhat like Action #1. In retrospect, Action #1 wasn't the first GA comic book, but it was the comic book that kicked of the Golden Age of heroic comics. In my mind any code approved book superhero book from the 1950's is a Silver Age book, but without Showcase #4 we wouldn't be calling it the SA. It signified a clean break with the discontinued GA characters and began the process of recycling character names with new costumes, powers and identities for a new era.

As a Kubert fan I'm having a very hard time picking B&B 34 and OOAW 83, but up against such tough competition they will have to be voted off, sooner than later.

My votes...

Flash 105, GL 1- origins retold, so I've kept the actual origin issues in the running, same with JLA 1 .

TTA 27 - just never appealed to me much. I can see it polarising opinion, either significant as the 1st Ant Man or just an average 'Atlas' monster comic story which got lucky.

TTA 27 - just never appealed to me much. I can see it polarising opinion, either significant as the 1st Ant Man or just an average 'Atlas' monster comic story which got lucky.

+1 I have always sort of felt this way about TTA #27, and even though I want a copy I have never gotten one because I never want to pay the prices they command. Not an important character for the SA or any other era, I don't care if he is a founding Avenger. No kid bought Avengers #1 and said "I don't know who these other guys are, but if Ant-man is on the team I'm buying it!"

I think this round was still fairly easy as there's still a large discrepancy in importance/value, etc between the top 10 and bottom 10.

I expect the next few rounds will see three DC titles for every Marvel, but at some point, say between #15-20, the Marvel will fall (DD1, ST110, TTA27).

If Showcase 4 doesn't make it into....let's say, Top 4, allowing even for a book that's not Fantasy #15 and FF #1...this poll will have proven useless. ;)

Since all three books have a handful of votes - I'd say there are some contrarian instigators already trying for an upset.

If Showcase 4 doesn't make it into....let's say, Top 4, allowing even for a book that's not Fantasy #15 and FF #1...this poll will have proven useless. ;)

Due to the fact that Flash #123 didn't even make the top 30 when it likely should have been a top 10 book (again, we're talking significance, not value), I'd say we may already be there...

Due to the fact that Flash #123 didn't even make the top 30 when it likely should have been a top 10 book (again, we're talking significance, not value), I'd say we may already be there...

So if you're a Marvel collector, Flash 123 has absolutely ZERO significance to you, and considering there's more Marvel collectors than DC, its easy to see why it didn't rank high in the polling.

If I were a DC collector, I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out why B&B ranks higher than Flash 123, but that's just me (shrug)

So if you're a Marvel collector, Flash 123 has absolutely ZERO significance to you, and considering there's more Marvel collectors than DC, its easy to see why it didn't rank high in the polling.

If I were a DC collector, I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out why B&B ranks higher than Flash 123, but that's just me (shrug)

Meant to say B&B 34

I seriously doubt that any real DC collector picked Flash 123 in the last round.

I think the point is that even if you`re a Marvel collector who seems to have no understanding or appreciation of any comics outside of your narrow little world, there were DC books that should have been voted off before Flash 123.

I think the point is that even if you`re a Marvel collector who seems to have no understanding or appreciation of any comics outside of your narrow little world, there were DC books that should have been voted off before Flash 123.

There were plenty of DC and Marvel books that should have been voted off way before Flash #123 if we are looking at significance. In the interests of full disclosure, I am a collector of Marvel books because my favorite characters happen to be Marvel properties, but I have always had a soft spot for the Flash. Currently the only SA DC book I own is a Flash #139. I also really enjoyed the first 120 or so issues of Wally's title but gave it up when I got out of comics for a time.

Anyway, it is hard to put the significance of that book into Marvel terms because there is no Marvel equivalent that comes to my mind to use as an example. As others have said, the appearance of a GA hero and the existence of Earth II was a monumental deal for the DC universe. That storyline has had its fingers in just about everything that DC has done for the last 50 or so years. And it barely made the top 30?

B&B #34 is the first SA appearance of a 2nd tier DC character, and that got kept in the running over the #123?

GL #1 and JLA #1 should have both gone before Flash #123.

Sgt. Fury #1, really?

FF #4, FF #48, and even ASM #1 should have gone before Flash #123. :o

They way I look at the Flash #123 is that the DC universe would not be the same if not for this book. It set in motion a shift in the way that universe operated and changed the rules for everything that came later. Very few other books on this list can say the same (Showcase #4, FF #1, AF #15 are a few that come to mind). It isn't a huge dollar book or a major first appearance like others on the list are, so it isn't a sexy choice, but in terms of importance (which is what the poll was supposed to measure) it is huge.

rantrant

I seriously doubt that any real DC collector picked Flash 123 in the last round.

Exactly. There are Marvel books that should have been voted off before Flash #123...

(not that I'm trying to beat the poor, dead nag....)

There were plenty of DC and Marvel books that should have been voted off way before Flash #123 if we are looking at significance. In the interests of full disclosure, I am a collector of Marvel books because my favorite characters happen to be Marvel properties, but I have always had a soft spot for the Flash. Currently the only SA DC book I own is a Flash #139. I also really enjoyed the first 120 or so issues of Wally's title but gave it up when I got out of comics for a time.

Anyway, it is hard to put the significance of that book into Marvel terms because there is no Marvel equivalent that comes to my mind to use as an example. As others have said, the appearance of a GA hero and the existence of Earth II was a monumental deal for the DC universe. That storyline has had its fingers in just about everything that DC has done for the last 50 or so years. And it barely made the top 30?

B&B #34 is the first SA appearance of a 2nd tier DC character, and that got kept in the running over the #123?

GL #1 and JLA #1 should have both gone before Flash #123.

Sgt. Fury #1, really?

FF #4, FF #48, and even ASM #1 should have gone before Flash #123. :o

They way I look at the Flash #123 is that the DC universe would not be the same if not for this book. It set in motion a shift in the way that universe operated and changed the rules for everything that came later. Very few other books on this list can say the same (Showcase #4, FF #1, AF #15 are a few that come to mind). It isn't a huge dollar book or a major first appearance like others on the list are, so it isn't a sexy choice, but in terms of importance (which is what the poll was supposed to measure) it is huge.

rantrant

:sumo: