• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philadelphia Comic Con - Sunday, February 27

26 posts in this topic

Well actually, this show is typically notoriously slow. But it can be fun, and has its peaks and valleys. Now JP who runs the Jersey shows does a very nice job promoting them. Derek has definitely done a little more advertising and the feeling I get is that there's a great deal of interest. In New Jersey, the stores that carry (reasonably) priced vintage are having it fly out the door.

This has been the main problem. It's really nice to have a local show 9-10 times a year, but it definitely needs to be marketed better. Bob Storms (High Grade Comics) is usually there when time affords, plus a few other regular dealers with books to suit a wide range of collector's. I've picked up many nice books at fair prices over the years.

It was also fun hanging out and "talking shop" with friends who frequent this site like Brian (Foolkiller), Bob (Nasimgr) and Bruce (BronzeBruce)... although I miss the ex-regular attendee Pat (Resurrection), who I haven't seen for a while at the show. :hi: Pat.

Anyway, I feel we're lucky to have this and would love to see it continue to grow and draw more well-known dealers in the future. From what I hear on these boards, not too many parts of the country have something like this venue and have to wait for a Major Con within distance once or twice a year.

Anyone within a reasonable driving range should check it out in the future. The worst that can happen is you'll meet a few "boardies" and likely walk away with a few surprise purchases.

And no... I'm not affiliated with the sponsors in any way. :gossip:

Chuck was told he had something to do with the improved attendance. From the MH newsletter--

"Derek told me that we helped double the attendance his Philadelphia show last weekend, so this pattern of our substantially helping local conventions really does oftentimes hold true."

Well actually, this show is typically notoriously slow. But it can be fun, and has its peaks and valleys. Now JP who runs the Jersey shows does a very nice job promoting them. Derek has definitely done a little more advertising and the feeling I get is that there's a great deal of interest. In New Jersey, the stores that carry (reasonably) priced vintage are having it fly out the door.

This has been the main problem. It's really nice to have a local show 9-10 times a year, but it definitely needs to be marketed better. Bob Storms (High Grade Comics) is usually there when time affords, plus a few other regular dealers with books to suit a wide range of collector's. I've picked up many nice books at fair prices over the years.

It was also fun hanging out and "talking shop" with friends who frequent this site like Brian (Foolkiller), Bob (Nasimgr) and Bruce (BronzeBruce)... although I miss the ex-regular attendee Pat (Resurrection), who I haven't seen for a while at the show. :hi: Pat.

Anyway, I feel we're lucky to have this and would love to see it continue to grow and draw more well-known dealers in the future. From what I hear on these boards, not too many parts of the country have something like this venue and have to wait for a Major Con within distance once or twice a year.

Anyone within a reasonable driving range should check it out in the future. The worst that can happen is you'll meet a few "boardies" and likely walk away with a few surprise purchases.

And no... I'm not affiliated with the sponsors in any way. :gossip:

I'm looking forward to going to the next. Hated to miss this one, but I was out of the country. It's been quite a few years since I've lived somewhere that there was a regular local show. I can't wait!

I believe the next is April 3rd. Like to meet and say hello if you make it down. You'll usually find me hanging around Bob Storms' stand... if he graces us with his presence (and plenty of inventory) :grin:

I'll be easy to spot... the tall, dark and handsome guy with the gracefully aging gray hair lol