• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mylars

21 posts in this topic

i finally decided to get some mylars to keep some of my nicer comics in and i'm sparing no expense doing so...

having said that, i had decided with the mylites 2, "full-back" backing boards and some of that double-sided archival tape (i chose these off of what i saw on egerber.com)

anyone know of some reputable online dealers i can buy these from?

errrr ummmm...how about egerber.com? They're the only company that make the Mylite2 bag.

What would you use double-sided tape on a Mylite2 for? They have a flap that folds over.

errrr ummmm...how about egerber.com? They're the only company that make the Mylite2 bag.

What would you use double-sided tape on a Mylite2 for? They have a flap that folds over.

oh ok, i've never used mylars before so i wouldnt know about these things, but thanks for the info

In my opinion, no tape should ever come near a comic for any reason, except to seal up a box that is being shipped to someone who bought the book. Never put tape on a comic bag. You will destroy one of your comics some day if you do so. Mark my words. (Insert ominous music here.) 893naughty-thumb.gif

oh ok, i've never used mylars before so i wouldnt know about these things, but thanks for the info

Last time I ordered, you couldn't buy online, you had to call them up on a weekday. Maybe you were thinking they made the stuff but didn't directly sell it, since I seem to recall wondering if that was the case before the first time I ordered...they do take direct orders.

Last time I ordered, you couldn't buy online, you had to call them up on a weekday. Maybe you were thinking they made the stuff but didn't directly sell it, since I seem to recall wondering if that was the case before the first time I ordered...they do take direct orders.

yeah that was it, i'm used to ordering everything online, i hadn't noticed you had to call in insane.gif

In my opinion, no tape should ever come near a comic for any reason, except to seal up a box that is being shipped to someone who bought the book. Never put tape on a comic bag. You will destroy one of your comics some day if you do so. Mark my words.

Really? I tape my mylars. I always remove the tape completely before removing the comic. I hate having that loose flap.

In my opinion, no tape should ever come near a comic for any reason, except to seal up a box that is being shipped to someone who bought the book. Never put tape on a comic bag. You will destroy one of your comics some day if you do so. Mark my words. (Insert ominous music here.) 893naughty-thumb.gif

Usually I will just chance it and pull the comic out super quick while the exposed tape flaps in the wind. grin.gif Haven't messed up a comic yet!

I think 'House offers them cheaper, but he would know better.

I do indeed offer them cheaper than ordering direct from Gerber...

Especially since joemad lives in Canada... Gerber's shipping charges for Canadian customers are astronomical, and there are half a dozen Canadian forumites who will be happy to confirm that. I sold greggy several hundred Mylites2 last month for substantially cheaper than what Gerber wanted Mr Short-Shorts to pay... sumo.gif

I'll be happy to go over the details with you, but I can save you a fortune in shipping charges on your Mylites2.

Especially since joemad lives in Canada... Gerber's shipping charges for Canadian customers are astronomical, and there are half a dozen Canadian forumites who will be happy to confirm that. I sold greggy several hundred Mylites2 last month for substantially cheaper than what Gerber wanted Mr Short-Shorts to pay... sumo.gif

I'll be happy to go over the details with you, but I can save you a fortune in shipping charges on your Mylites2.

What about comic mailers? Cheaper than Bags Unlimited?

Depends on which mailers you are talking about. The stiff envelopes with the tuck-in flap, probably not, although I have never looked. The diecut boxes, on the other hand, you can absolutely get cheaper, though I wouldn't recommend you buy them from me. There are at least 100 carton manufacturers around the country and buying them direct from the source is always the way to go.

Sometimes I wonder if Mylars really do help in preserving the comic. Mylars do not really seal the comic ... so temperature/humidity fluctuations can still potentially damage the comics. IMO, Mylars really only offer the best direct contact surface for comics.

Sometimes I wonder if Mylars really do help in preserving the comic. Mylars do not really seal the comic ... so temperature/humidity fluctuations can still potentially damage the comics. IMO, Mylars really only offer the best direct contact surface for comics.

I agree about open Mylars not helping to keep out outside elements.

So this is the method I used when I recently re bagged, boarded all my comics.

I placed each comic in a new 1 mil Mylite w/flap, with a new board board.

Taped this shut.

Then placed that in a open top 4 mill Mylar

This double system really gives the comic a nice safe home that feels solid , and if I do want to take out and look at the comic I always take tape off bag before opening.

And it also allows me to pull out comic from the Mylar by grabbing the backing board/Mylite combo , and not the comic itself.

Anyhow, thats just me.

Zeman

It doesn't matter what you put it in--unstable temperature and humidity still affects the comic, just as it affects any other substance anywhere on the planet. The most recent research and recommendations I've seen from the Library of Congress says that sealing a comic in an airtight environment is worse than keeping it open to air. For more info, look at this older thread on the topic:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=294618

house,

bring some mylar sleeves to sell at the wondercon, believe it or not, i've asked dealers before and they had none to sell. 893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif

pimpy

I'll consider it, but it really comes down to a weight issue. A pack of Mylites2 weighs about the same as a TPB, and sells for about the same price. But I only make about $1.50 on selling a pack of Mylites2, compared to $3-5 on a discounted TPB...

I'm bringing about 2500lbs of stuff with me to WonderCon, so if I have room for a few thousand Mylites2, I'll bring them. But I will probably need to figure out a price that adjusts for the lack of a shipping charge to make them a little more profitable to bring. They'd still be cheaper than what Gerber charges to get them to the west coast...

There's no way I would bring Fullbacks and Halfbacks, those are just too heavy for the cost. But I might bring a couple sizes of Mylites2 and the 4mil Archives.

Anybody have any thoughts on sizes other than the 725 and 775?

Depends on which mailers you are talking about. The stiff envelopes with the tuck-in flap, probably not, although I have never looked. The diecut boxes, on the other hand, you can absolutely get cheaper, though I wouldn't recommend you buy them from me. There are at least 100 carton manufacturers around the country and buying them direct from the source is always the way to go.

I took your advice, and stopped by our local discount shipping supply wholesaler. They had the same sized box that Bags Unlimited sells as a "comic mailer" for about 80¢ each. Less if you bought more, but I don't have the volume to justify $60+ in supplies. With shipping, I paid about $1.70 each through BU. Granted I only bought 10 from them. I also got some 12"x12" cardboard flats to cut down for reinforcers. They were 9¢ each. I'm ready to sell now, but about out of inventory. foreheadslap.gif