• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 13th to 15th

13th to 15th  

291 members have voted

1. 1. 13th to 15th

137 posts in this topic

It looks like this round will eliminate ASM 1. I am shocked. In my comic collecting youth no comic garnered more excitement than ASM 1. Daredevil 1 is more important than ASM 1 ? Unbelievable.

Don't get me wound up on this again. I have no way of understanding how this book can garner so many votes this early in the polling. Its ridiculous.

Payback is a person_without_enough_empathy!

ASM 1

DD 1

FF 48

Spidey #1! Spidey #1! Spidey #1!

Go Spidey, it's your birthday, Go Spidey, it's your birthday...

So this anti-ASM 1 thing is because of the Legion 1st appearance getting voted off? Presumably because that book "inspired" the X-men? :cry:

lol

I love that Adventure #247...you know, the book that essentially inspired the X-Men...has been voted off before...you know...the X-Men....

;)

Not sure if I follow the logic used by an ASM 1 voter, yes it is not a first appearance. I don't necessariily feel it is top 3 on this list since AF15 likely will show well for the character in this poll but ASM 1 should certainly hit a top ten; first successful Marvel character in his own ongoing series.

To go through the listing there are other "throw-out candidates" with the same kind of reasoning I see for tossing ASM 1.

Daredevil 1 certainly a lesser character/series - 1st app. but till just DD :devil:

Avengers 4 - return of a golden age hero (cap) zzz

SC 4 & 22 - see above (sa flash - sa green lantern) zzz

Hulk 1 - nice six issue run :sick:

Avengers 1 - so no first appearances here but the teaming up of characters who were gone by issue 17

Jim 83 - ummm it took how long for character to own the book? (worship)

TOS 39 - again a "house" book but this character only had half the book and by issue 99 Iron Man was the secondary character to Cap (Cap retained legacy numbering as Hulk did in TTA) :o

BB 28 - no firsties here, just another gathering of heroes :whatev:

FF1 & Xmen 1 differ from the above "team up" books as they are "team intro" books & in this type of poll FF 1 is only book that can hold a candle to the eventual winner AF15.

It appears the FF villain books are gone this round so I won't even comment on those.

The correct answer to this poll is:

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

Xmen 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

ASM 1

SC 22

SC 4

Avengers 1

BB 28

Avengers 4

Daredevil 1

Spidey #1! Spidey #1! Spidey #1!

Go Spidey, it's your birthday, Go Spidey, it's your birthday...

So this anti-ASM 1 thing is because of the Legion 1st appearance getting voted off? Presumably because that book "inspired" the X-men? :cry:

lol

I love that Adventure #247...you know, the book that essentially inspired the X-Men...has been voted off before...you know...the X-Men....

;)

Not sure if I follow the logic used by an ASM 1 voter, yes it is not a first appearance. I don't necessariily feel it is top 3 on this list since AF15 likely will show well for the character in this poll but ASM 1 should certainly hit a top ten; first successful Marvel character in his own ongoing series.

To go through the listing there are other "throw-out candidates" with the same kind of reasoning I see for tossing ASM 1.

Daredevil 1 certainly a lesser character/series - 1st app. but till just DD :devil:

Avengers 4 - return of a golden age hero (cap) zzz

SC 4 & 22 - see above (sa flash - sa green lantern) zzz

Hulk 1 - nice six issue run :sick:

Avengers 1 - so no first appearances here but the teaming up of characters who were gone by issue 17

Jim 83 - ummm it took how long for character to own the book? (worship)

TOS 39 - again a "house" book but this character only had half the book and by issue 99 Iron Man was the secondary character to Cap (Cap retained legacy numbering as Hulk did in TTA) :o

BB 28 - no firsties here, just another gathering of heroes :whatev:

FF1 & Xmen 1 differ from the above "team up" books as they are "team intro" books & in this type of poll FF 1 is only book that can hold a candle to the eventual winner AF15.

It appears the FF villain books are gone this round so I won't even comment on those.

The correct answer to this poll is:

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

Xmen 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

ASM 1

SC 22

SC 4

Avengers 1

BB 28

Avengers 4

Daredevil 1

and everyone of them is a bluechip investment. (thumbs u

lol

I didn't vote against ASM #1. (thumbs u

But the idea that Hulk #1, X-Men #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, ASM #1, AND Showcase #22 are ALL more important than Showcase #4 is UTTER, TOTAL LUNACY.

lol

You Marvel Zombies are something else...

;)

Without Showcase #4, there is, ARGUABLY, no DC Silver Age. Without DC's Silver Age....and understand that every single major DC SA character, including even the Atom, was introduced and being published BEFORE FF #1 came out...there is arguably no Marvel Silver Age.

lol

But the idea that Hulk #1, X-Men #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, ASM #1, AND Showcase #22 are ALL more important than Showcase #4 is UTTER, TOTAL LUNACY.

lol

;)

Without Showcase #4, there is, ARGUABLY, no DC Silver Age. Without DC's Silver Age....and understand that every single major DC SA character, including even the Atom, was introduced and being published BEFORE FF #1 came out...there is arguably no Marvel Silver Age.

Sorry trying to follow your previous logic.

OK now I get it - so Showcase 4 is important because it "inspired" Marvel to create Quicksilver the Xmen villain & eventual Avenger?

:baiting:

:whistle:

lol

lol

;)

Sorry trying to follow your previous logic.

OK now I get it - so Showcase 4 is important because it "inspired" Marvel to create Quicksilver the Xmen villain & eventual Avenger?

:baiting:

:whistle:

The Legion of Superheroes most definitely inspired the X-Men.

As far as the other...yeah, no.

(thumbs u

Arnold Drake: "...I’ve become more and more convinced that [stan Lee] knowingly stole The X-Men from The Doom Patrol. Over the years I learned that an awful lot of writers and artists were working surreptitiously between [Marvel and DC]. Therefore from when I first brought the idea into [DC editor] Murray Boltinoff’s office, it would’ve been easy for someone to walk over and hear that [i was] working on a story about a bunch of reluctant superheroes who are led by a man in a wheelchair. So over the years I began to feel that Stan had more lead time than I realized. He may well have had four, five or even six months."

Also from Wikipedia: (X-Men #1 debuted three months after MGA #80; due to publication lag times, Lee could not have known of the Doom Patrol when he scripted the first X-Men story unless he had been told about it in advance of its publication.)

Just adding to the conversation.

It looks like this round will eliminate ASM 1. I am shocked. In my comic collecting youth no comic garnered more excitement than ASM 1. Daredevil 1 is more important than ASM 1 ? Unbelievable.

Don't get me wound up on this again. I have no way of understanding how this book can garner so many votes this early in the polling. Its ridiculous.

Payback is a person_without_enough_empathy!

ASM 1

DD 1

FF 48

:grin: