• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small Press Alternative Comics Expo Sketch Opportunities

34 posts in this topic

My name is Shawn Harbin and I am a comic book artist and creator of The Dungeon Comic. http://www.bsx22studios.com/ I will be appearing at the Following conventions. If you are interested in any sketch covers or commission work don't hesitate to let me know. If you send me commissions in advance you may pick them up at the show. Thank You

Metropolis Supercon March 5-6

Knoxville Days Inn Merchants Dr Cards Comics and Toy Show March 12th

Small Press Alternative Comics Expo March 19-20th

HeroesCon June 3-5

Wizard World Philly June 17-19

Florida Supercon July 1-4

Wizard World Chicago Aug 11-14

109937.jpg.91ebc9365ca8b1bc95d8c8ed654aba52.jpg

109938.jpg.0276c5b3a85dab903e0f92d6f552b6e3.jpg

Hey nice artwork! :headbang:

As an aspiring comic creator myself, I can understand the desire/need to sell yourself as much as possible. If you don't toot yer own horn, nobody's gonna do it for you.

Don't let those nitpicker's get to you, they obviosly have nothing better to do today than ride your . There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself, here or anywhere.

Best of luck with your comic! (thumbs u

P.S. What do you charge for commisions?

As an aspiring comic creator myself, I can understand the desire/need to sell yourself as much as possible. If you don't toot yer own horn, nobody's gonna do it for you.

Don't let those nitpicker's get to you, they obviosly have nothing better to do today than ride your . There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself, here or anywhere.

Best of luck with your comic! (thumbs u

P.S. What do you charge for commisions?

I can see why you're still aspiring.

Nitpicker's? Really? I thought my post conveyed the thought in a very polite way while reminding the OP that spamming is not allowed on the boards as per the rules set forth by the people who run the site and are granting this up-and-coming artist a place to advertise for free.

I'm all for new artists trying to break onto the scene. Many of my sketches are from artists who have little-to-no professional work of which to speak. It doesn't make them less desirable if I've never heard of them so long as the art is nice. However, if a new artist wishes to try to develop a fanbase on a message board, maybe the rules of said message board should be read and followed first.

Don't let those nitpicker's get to you, they obviosly have nothing better to do today than ride your .

Seriously??

I find it sad, that someone's whole life is based on going to a thread, that they chose, and that clearly stated an opportunity to spend money on something that no one forced them too. On a website that is 90 percent selling and trading books and art. I can not believe that I came on here to help support me and family and I get bashed because I tried to sell something I worked very hard on, or create something for someone that they asked me to do. I also find it odd that you would go to the trouble to return just to see who stirs the pot of drama. Not to mention the title says sketch opportunities, and since I have done more than my fair share of conventions and sketches, I have yet to come across any that were free. And while I am sure some antagonistic response will be awaiting me, I guess that is a part of human behavior of trying to put down someone else when they really did nothing to you to begin with. I know, how I could I post such rabble on the heavenly creation such as this thread. I am truly a scoundrel. Sounds like the work of a communist! So I can only imagine that you were not attending the convention listed anyway and simply looking for something to complain about. So excuse me for trying not to be a burden on your tax paying dollars in trying to support myself. and I Apologize for taking so long to respond since I don't live every waking moment to respond to negative behavior posted by some individual hidden behind some clever avatar. And I am sure you financial loss was so great by clicking on this harkening thread, Egad man, I must be the work of something truly dark. Could it be, Maybe I posted this from Nigeria. It would it would have to be. A guy comes on gives his name, and offers to do commissions. How can I sleep at night. So if it makes you feel better, to belittle me, bully me around. Look down upon go ahead. I came here. to make people happy with drawings of characters they love. To turn people on to my stories. And like Skinny's Pal Tubby said, no one will sell your stuff like you will, he is correct. Cause I am not looking back and saying I did not do every thing I could have to follow my dream. If you are interested in commissions simply send me a message and I will happily get back with you.

I find it sad, that someone's whole life is based on going to a thread, that they chose, and that clearly stated an opportunity to spend money on something that no one forced them too. On a website that is 90 percent selling and trading books and art. I can not believe that I came on here to help support me and family and I get bashed because I tried to sell something I worked very hard on, or create something for someone that they asked me to do. I also find it odd that you would go to the trouble to return just to see who stirs the pot of drama. Not to mention the title says sketch opportunities, and since I have done more than my fair share of conventions and sketches, I have yet to come across any that were free. And while I am sure some antagonistic response will be awaiting me, I guess that is a part of human behavior of trying to put down someone else when they really did nothing to you to begin with. I know, how I could I post such rabble on the heavenly creation such as this thread. I am truly a scoundrel. Sounds like the work of a communist! So I can only imagine that you were not attending the convention listed anyway and simply looking for something to complain about. So excuse me for trying not to be a burden on your tax paying dollars in trying to support myself. and I Apologize for taking so long to respond since I don't live every waking moment to respond to negative behavior posted by some individual hidden behind some clever avatar. And I am sure you financial loss was so great by clicking on this harkening thread, Egad man, I must be the work of something truly dark. Could it be, Maybe I posted this from Nigeria. It would it would have to be. A guy comes on gives his name, and offers to do commissions. How can I sleep at night. So if it makes you feel better, to belittle me, bully me around. Look down upon go ahead. I came here. to make people happy with drawings of characters they love. To turn people on to my stories. And like Skinny's Pal Tubby said, no one will sell your stuff like you will, he is correct. Cause I am not looking back and saying I did not do every thing I could have to follow my dream. If you are interested in commissions simply send me a message and I will happily get back with you.

First off: Yikes, pretty major over reaction. I don't think anyone attacked you, at all. People did note that there are some rules and guidelines for posting on this message board. They are guidelines that all other posters have taken the time to read and follow. They make for a fair method of posting, whereby, a single poster won't monopolize page 1 real estate with several posts if they, logically, will fit into one.

It's a mutual respect thing, other people respect the rules, they respect each other. You don't respect the rules, even when they are pointed out to you, it's like you don't respect the forum or the forumites. Whether or not that is true, that's the vibe you emanate.

Second: This is a comic message board, you MUST, get a thicker skin. Try an ointment or cream...perhaps a balm, because if someone telling you to follow the clearly set out forum posting guidelines sets off a diatribe every single time, you won't be able to handle it when someone actually comes at you with flames ignited, and (sadly) you are going to wear out the "F" key on your keyboard rather quickly.

Somehow though, I feel the "Enter/Return" key may be spared the carnage.

No where did I use the f key in a aggressive manner. I simply stated, kindly, I did not trick or rick roll anyone on this. I did however get tired of the constant argument that this implies and everyones impulse to make a comment to simply make them selves known. I am glad the CGC police are in full force. I truly didn't know I caused such damage. like I stated before. I must be of the most unruly of sort, and hence, since I have already insulted and put myself down. Perhaps its not me that needs to thicken my skin, perhaps, people need to be not so uptight on this. but I am sure I will get 20 more posts, of the most provocative of thought. stating the same thing. I get it. I am not welcome in your little world. Does that make you happy. Since now all my chances of making money are ruined by this chatter. I after all reframed from directly insulting anyone, How dare I make a response. Because in the end, reiterating what someone else has brought to the attention is the best way to make friends. And considering almost all the threads are about buying books, trading books and getting sketches. I certainly hope no one starts posting their books they are searching for or selling. Who do they think they are? I fail to see how this was any different. But I see I am not going to win this arguement.

Its like some one getting a job assisting a doctor, and when he tells someone they are going to die. The assitant stands there and says, " He said you're gonna die. Yep, not getting out of it. You're dead. Yeah, thats too bad. Cause you're dying" But who would do that?

That could keep an arguement going on and on. and never die.

See I used a space :)

I don't think that he was attacked either, but 3 posts nagging him to follow the rules is a little rude. After the first one he probably got the hint, and if he was doing something wrong, isn't it the moderators' job to let him know. (shrug)

Second: This is a comic message board, you MUST, get a thicker skin.

And just because this is a "comic message board" it does not make it okay to be rude to complete strangers. You'd think that people brought up reading Superman, and Captain America would have a better attitude, sheesh. :preach:

I don't think that he was attacked either, but 3 posts nagging him to follow the rules is a little rude. After the first one he probably got the hint, and if he was doing something wrong, isn't it the moderators' job to let him know. (shrug)

And just because this is a "comic message board" it does not make it okay to be rude to complete strangers. You'd think that people brought up reading Superman, and Captain America would have a better attitude, sheesh. :preach:

Honestly, I don't think anyone was rude at anytime..but to each his own I guess,,

No where did I use the f key in a aggressive manner.

This place will make you break that key off, if you let it. That's what I meant.

I am glad the CGC police are in full force. I truly didn't know I caused such damage. like I stated before. I must be of the most unruly of sort, and hence, since I have already insulted and put myself down.

When you are done nailing yourself to that cross maybe you can reread the comments people made about making multiple threads with exactly the same information and why that might not be considerate to other uses of the forum.

No need for the self-flagellation.

Perhaps its not me that needs to thicken my skin, perhaps, people need to be not so uptight on this.

Best responded to with a visual:

pot-kettle-1-1.gif

I get it. I am not welcome in your little world. Does that make you happy. Since now all my chances of making money are ruined by this chatter. I after all reframed from directly insulting anyone, How dare I make a response. Because in the end, reiterating what someone else has brought to the attention is the best way to make friends.

Yes, it's everyone else that needs to be less uptight. I see that now.

And considering almost all the threads are about buying books, trading books and getting sketches. I certainly hope no one starts posting their books they are searching for or selling. Who do they think they are? I fail to see how this was any different. But I see I am not going to win this arguement.

Of course you aren't winning that argument, especially if you can't see how your spamming the boards with a bunch of identical threads is different from everyone else who posts here and can't take the simplest of advice from people who have been here and taken the time to abide by some 3rd grade level guidelines.

Everyone else DOES NOT post the exact same post in 3-4-5 different threads, most of them AFTER it has been pointed out that copying and pasting information into multiple threads violates forum posting guidelines. It's pretty simple.

Why in the world would you expect everyone here to read and respect your posts when you can't be bothered to either 1) read and respect the forum guidelines, or 2) read and respect the posts by other forum members informing you of the errors in your posting?

I tried to explain it in calm, rational, respectful terms but you really don't want to slow your roll long enough to figure out that nothing anyone said to you told you you weren't welcome or could not post here.

Just some common sense advice, if you want to work in comics, I suggest you learn to take criticism and correction a little better than you displayed here. It seems comics have these things called "editors". Their job is to correct and criticize everything you do. It is not good career strategy to throw yourself on the ground, moaning and wailing, every time someone points out that you were in error.

Honestly, the forum is a community, the community has rules. Asking you to follow them is not attacking you, it's not ejecting you, it's not being unfair to you. Taking your pedal off the Drama Machine would do your sales and everyone in their blast radius a lot of good.

lol this thread is hillarious.................

I remember when we first joined. We spammed the forum ourselves and got "corrected"

All I can say is I wish we got corrected as politely as you initially were.... lol

Nice Art. I would like to see how you do an actual sketch cover FYI. If it is good I will commission you.

Honestly, I don't think anyone was rude at anytime..but to each his own I guess,,

Yeah, pretty much the only person being a was Pirate, and that was to Tubby. Also, not really a surprise, either.